Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ping Ping Ping!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ping Ping Ping!

Hello Fellas. Its been a while since I checked in so if there has been recent discussion on this, I apologize. My Supercharged 2002 Taco pings and its bugging the hell out of me. It is most noticeable at highway speed (65 to75 mph) when I get on the gas a little (mild acceleration). If I punch it, the ping either stops or I just can't hear it. I am concerned about the long-term effect on the motor.

Anyway, a while back I was involved in a discussion of the problem here on this forum, and it seems to me the problem is wide-spread on supercharged Tacomas and 4 Runners. Ron from Fla suggested going to colder plugs which I tried. If I remember correctly, the colder plug idea was a TRD recommendation. Well, it did not work. My truck pings as bad or worse than ever. Also, I remember some talk about bigger fuel injectors, but, I'm concerned that may be an expensive fix which may come with other complications. I wonder if the boost can be reduced making the motor run richer. I know I'll take a horsepower hit, but, in the interest in engine longevity I'm willing to de-tune if that's possible. In fact, at this point, I'm willing to consider anything short of removing the blower.

It seems to me this is a Toyota problem. The supercharger is right there in the toyota sales brochure and I ordered it when I ordered my truck. It was installed at the dealer before I took delivery. And, the shootin' match in under factory warranty. I think Toyota should come up with a solution. The truck is at the dealer today getting its 25,000 mi service, and I asked them to address the problem. We'll see what they say later today. Sorry about the venting, but, like I said the problem in bugging me bad.

So, if anybody has any ideas or experience on this, I would greatly appreciate your input. Maybe TRD has come up with something. If so, I'd like to know about it. At any rate, I would like to have a little ammo for the dealer later today when I pick up my truck. Sorry about the long rant...I'm desperate!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

I called TRD a while back and they recommended a TRD thermostat in addition to the NGK 1 step cooler plug to help with the ping. Since getting them installed about 1000 miles ago, I have yet to notice any more pinging. I did however, adjust my driving style a bit just as an added measure. For example when traveling highway speeds and coming up an incline, Ill try to keep the boost as close as I can to 0 psi or simply shut off the overdrive. It kinda sucks that I have to do this but until TRD comes up with a better fix or I can afford some fuel upgrades, im stuck.

Hope this helps
Old 01-31-2003, 06:50 AM

Thanks Bruce. I think I'll try the TRD thermostat trick. What does it do, make the motor run cooler? That should be a low cost mod. I've got to say though, I doubt it'll cure the ping in my truck. It's pretty bad and seems to be getting worse. Could that be an indication of engine wear? Do you know how the ping problem will effect the engine in the long run? I've tried to change the way I drive too, but, like you said that "sucks". It should not be this way. Maybe I should get in touch with TRD and give them my 2 cents worth. Can you give me their phone number and address? Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Bill...I got the thermostat from here
There's info about it and what it does on that link.

I got the number for TRD from the back of the supercharger installation guide. Its 1 800 688 5912. Before installing the thermostat and plugs my ping problem wasnt too bad but it was enough to get me paranoid of stepping on it on the freeway. Ive heard that in the long term, pinging could burn a hole in the pistons. If you have not done so, check out Gadget's site here for more info.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:16 AM

Bruce, thanks. Your info is very helpful and appreciated.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:36 PM

My non-supercharged 02 pings under heavy acceleration going up a grade. Going down a road it won't. I have tried techron FI cleaner, supreme gas, all to no avail. I'm planning a trip out to California in a week or so and will be towing a trailer. I don't want to ruin my motor. I made an appoitment for the dealer next week, but I have a very bad feeling they will say "cant replicate problem" since there are no steep roads around the dealer to show him what it's doing....
Old 01-31-2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by kc4runner
My non-supercharged 02 pings under heavy acceleration going up a grade. Going down a road it won't. I have tried techron FI cleaner, supreme gas, all to no avail. I'm planning a trip out to California in a week or so and will be towing a trailer. I don't want to ruin my motor. I made an appoitment for the dealer next week, but I have a very bad feeling they will say "cant replicate problem" since there are no steep roads around the dealer to show him what it's doing....
Are you 5spd or automatic? If 5spd, and you have them try to replicate the problem, have them "lug" the engine through a third gear start. This will imitate the stress on the engine similar to pulling a grade.

I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic, so I couldn't say if there is a test procedure with the possible exception of a brake dynomometer.

Huh, I just thought about that statement above, twenty five years of owning 4X4's and not one auto. I guess I like to "row" to work.

Mike
Old 01-31-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, I dont know about the new motors from Toyota but I would try or ask about a MAP or Manifold Air Pressure Sensor. If they go bad, the symptoms vary! Like I said not sure about the new motors from Toyota. I know Fords and their MAP Sensor. Just giving my .02 cents!
Old 02-01-2003, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys with the SC using good quality premium gas
Old 02-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

I use chevron 91 which is pretty much the highest octane I can get here in California. There is actually a 76 station not too far from here that sells 100 octane unleaded but at $4.29/gallon it gets expensive.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:18 AM

The highest octain gas I can buy here in FL is 93 which I always use. Still the motor pings. On a recent trip to NYC, I bought gas at a Sunoco station and filled up with 94 octain gas. No ping...the truck ran beautifully. Unfoutuneately, my local Sunoco stations don't sell that grade. Anyway, I've got the head guy at the dealer looking into the issue. He seems like he's interested in helping me. We'll see.

Bruce gave me the idea of installing the TRD thermostat. I ordered one on Friday. That should lower the operating temp of the engine, so, maybe it will help. Also, it never occured to me to turn the overdrive off until Bruce mentioned it. That works. Overdrive off, no ping. I even towed a pretty heavy trailer with 3 motorcycles for about 275 miles on Saturday (OD off) and my motor ran great!

Still it seems to me this is a Toyota issue. A brand new truck equipped with all Toyota parts should work right out of the box. Plus, I ponied up for a 100,000 mile Toyota warranty, so if I hole a piston or whatever, They'll have to fix it. With my luck, hovever, it won't break til it's got 100,001 miles on it.