Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics from Northern Maine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics from Northern Maine...

Ran the Sebois river up near Baxter State park in Northern Maine...also drove around some of the logging roads up there and ended up finding a great campsite on the East Branch of the Penobscot...beautiful country and tons of wildlife...also lots of voracious, carnivorous blackflies

enjoy!

Old 06-05-2005, 07:41 PM

I was just up there (little north of Norway) about 2 weeks ago. I love Maine. At one point my family owned a small camp in Shirley Mills. Great wildlife/nature area, but like you said, the black flies and other biting insects will kill you.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:55 PM

You are so lucky! I miss the smell of DIRT real dirt! Florida sucks as far as that goes. I miss big pines, fiddle heads, real deer and fresh water. Florida has some crazy things that go bump in the night(mosquioto hitting the fender)
Old 06-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Man that is sick! That looks kinda like here, expect we have way better views . Are those logging roads gated? It looks like there fairly well used, so watch for loggin trucks.

Here is kinda what it looks like here, but this picture is takin at about 5000 ft, and it doesnt look like you are quite that high.

BTW- You got a pretty good lookin taco.

Last edited by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun; 06-05-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buhdayduh country. Baxter is beautiful. I climbed Katahdin on the Thoreau Trail. Great back country, easy roads, and the closest encounter I've ever had with a moose. After the descent I took a break at a lake and the biggest moose I've ever seen came around the corner. I froze, it passed within ten feet and moved on. I think they're blessedly nearsighted...good thing.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice pictures. Here is one of Tumalo Falls just outside of Bend Oregon I took. Great photo oportunities here in the northwest. Makes me wish I had a better camera.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 AM

<3 for maine
Old 06-06-2005, 05:07 AM
lee
Contributing Member

damn, jon, that looks like fun!

nice pics.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Oh man, those pics make me want to go back up to Maine. I'd like to go up every year, several times a year, if I had more vacation time. I'd move there, if the job market wasn't so bad.
Looks like you had an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:37 AM

Looks like you had fun!! Nice pics!!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks all....basically my truck is ˟˟˟˟ING awesome and I would like to start by saying that....

but also the roads up there are pretty tame...for the most part, most of the roads arent gated cause the timber companies are cool and let trucks up there to camp, fish, hunt etc. (no bikes/dirtbikes ) The roads I was on were not used for logging anymore and had subsequenbtly fallen into disrepair in some places..washouts on hills, potholes etc.

Still the roads that have been abandoned for a long time or werent really logging roads in the first place such as fire roads and stuff can get pretty gnarly with some deep stream crossings etc etc---that stuff is out there if you care to find it.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

oh yeah did I mention the
BLACKFLYS!!!!!!!!!!!

:

Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

dang blackflies
http://www.maineblackfly.com/
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 AM

Were there enough trails etc to keep you busy for a whole day? Perhaps a whole day plus a night of camping and then back the next day? If the roads aren't really rough I may be able to convince my wife to go by showing her the scenery shots, haha! For some reason I don't begin to understand she doesn't enjoy any rides that involve bouncing on the skidplate and sliding on the frame...So, you are bringing NE4ROC up there shortly after the M&G right? Right? (Hint, there is only one right answer to this.)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Were there enough trails etc to keep you busy for a whole day? Perhaps a whole day plus a night of camping and then back the next day? If the roads aren't really rough I may be able to convince my wife to go by showing her the scenery shots, haha! For some reason I don't begin to understand she doesn't enjoy any rides that involve bouncing on the skidplate and sliding on the frame...So, you are bringing NE4ROC up there shortly after the M&G right? Right? (Hint, there is only one right answer to this.)
As far as distance goes you really can go forever - there are hundreds upon hundreds of miles of trails/logging roads up there.

I reckon you could spend a week out there if you mapped it out right....some roads are gated by landowners - but the gates can be spotted, and avoided, by looking at the maps...I use the Maine Atlas and Gazateer...quite possibly the greatest peice of literature out there. But yeah your wife will dig it up there; she will prob definetly see a moose as they are everywhere and there are tons of great campsites and other wildlife....BUT whatever you do donot bring her up there until after Blackfly season (I would say Mid August to be safe!) otherwise you will prob never see your truck again - nor possibly the light of day or freedom of any kind

As far as wheeling; I still havent checked out some of the (by the topo and terrain on the map) gnarlier trails up there....not even sure if how gnarly they would be...but if NE4ROC is interested in the leisurly logging roads which IMO are still fun and camping and beers and stuff...we could look into doing up a trip in the fall or something...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 AM

Sounds good, don't forget to set it up when the time comes! We could always set up a base camp and some of the more daring (read: stupid) of us could go out and check out some of the funky trails. I agree on skipping black fly season it is miserable.

And I am always down for beers!

Last edited by Intrepid; 06-09-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
As far as wheeling; I still havent checked out some of the (by the topo and terrain on the map) gnarlier trails up there....not even sure if how gnarly they would be...but if NE4ROC is interested in the leisurly logging roads which IMO are still fun and camping and beers and stuff...we could look into doing up a trip in the fall or something...
sweet. NE4ROC-ers will dig those light trails im sure.

lets do it.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 AM

Light trails...I feel like such a girl...although the idea of tearing down a dirt rd with no cops sounds really good to me!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
lee
Contributing Member

bah, this isnt a competition, its fun!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Light trails...I feel like such a girl...although the idea of tearing down a dirt rd with no cops sounds really good to me!

exactly - you can fly on those roads - though ALWAYS have to be careful for logging trucks they dont really slow down for anything unless its bigger then they are...or if you are driving a pansy RAV4... then they actually go out of their way to try and run you off the road.

seriously though - plan on at least three days at is about 5hrs up there. I'll prob make it back up there a couple times this summer and will do abit of scouting....

Quick Reply: Pics from Northern Maine...