Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PIAAs vs Silverstars

Old 11-17-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAAs vs Silverstars

I'm on my second pair of PIAAs on my '02 Prerunner TRD and just about had it. My rig as accured 37k miles and the bulbs just don't cut longevity wise. I've taken great care in handling them not to touch the glass bulb w/ my hands and cleaned them w/ alcohol wipes and still they burn out. On Friday it was my left bulb. This morning it was my right bulb. What the $#*@!?? I've already had to replace one of them on a previous occasion.

My question to you all is what are your realworld experience w/ each of these brands? I calculate I illuminate the headlights roughly 8-9 hours in a week (1-2 hours a day at most) and if my math is correct these bulbs have only lasted approx. 850+ hrs.

I've heard a lot of talk about Silverstars and given they are on avg. $25.00 cheaper I want to know how Sylvanias stack up. Thanks ahead for any thoughts and suggestions.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
My Silverstars lasted about 10 months with average use, and I found the low beams to be dim. I switched back to stock bulbs due to that and replacement cost, as well as longevity.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

meh

I've got the silverstars and haven't had any trouble for the last 9 months :knock, knock: They are whiter then stock but I can compare them to PIAA cause I never wanted to shell out the extra cash. The low beams seem ok to me on the silver's. I wonder if a wireing harness upgrade would help.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:00 PM

Have used PIAA's. seems to wash out when it rains. A waste of good money. I went with the Silverstars. Only had them for 6 months, so far so good, however I read somewhere that someone e-mail Sylvania asking how long these bulbs would last.
Seems he was concern about the daytime running lights and he was told that the Silverstars would only last about 12 months driving daily. But most people I know have had them for a while (longer than 12 months) and no problems.
For normal stock bulbs, I found the Sylvania X-tra Vision to be very good. Used them for 4 years before I bought the PIAA's.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:36 PM

As far as life span on the Silverstars, I've found the DRL power level output to be almost as good as stock low beams. So, when I'm in a well lit and/or low speed area I just switch to parking lamps. Haven't had them long enough to know if it will help lifespan, but I figure lower power can't hurt. There are a couple of folks here who said they have been running them for 2+ year with no burn outs. I like them
Aaron
Old 11-18-2003, 07:40 AM

the silverstars are nice especially on dark roads- I don't know how long they last only had them a couple of months.
Are you cleaning the bulb with alcohol or your hands with alcohol?
either way I suggest you dont touch any part of the glass with anything- I know this is awkward but it does make a difference.
anyhoo try the silverstars oneday they are worth a shot.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:37 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I've had the SIlverstars for over 1 year, have not had any trouble with lamp failure and I like them over the stock lamps. I typically drive nightime on low/high beam about 1-2 hours per day. Throw in an average of 1-2 hours/day on the DRL's (I think i heard that the DRL's are about 40-50% of normal low beam power).
Old 11-18-2003, 09:02 AM

Buy a upgraded wiring harness for your headlights and put in 90/130 watt bulbs. I'll tell you one thing, they sure light up the night!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:08 PM

I've got a pair of Silverstars coming in tomorrow (Kragen was temporarily out of stock) and looking forward how they stock up against the PIAAs. I'm done w/ PIAAs. They produced a great white light (much better than the dull, nearly worthless stock halogen units that my truck came with and have on now) but they aren't worth the price for how long they last. And to respond to another board member, I did swab the bulbs w/ alcohol not just my hands before handling them. Now if I can find a quality, reasonably priced ($450-500) HID conversion kit...

SpdRcr
Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the PIAA bulbs for about a year. No probs yet...
Old 11-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Del

I don't know the brand I bought, but it's one of the one's from Kragen. They're the "off road only" ones, but the cops around here haven't pulled me over yet (knock knock). They were around 20 bucks, very bright, and have lasted over a year and a half through mud, rain and snow. I am very happy with them.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:50 AM

I have had my silverstars for about 8.5 months. I love them, I belive that they are much better than the stock headlights. I don't really know about the PIAA's but I hear that they are not that great in the rain. As for the silverstars, I will install these bulbs on the next vechicle I own as well.

My .02

Eric
Old 11-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Piaa's in heads and driving lights;

I like them. I think they are made better than when they first came out. Haven't had any issues.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:34 PM

Hey Jason, hope all is well.

I too have PIAA heads and driving lights and they are AOK after about a year. I think the idea of a custom HD harness with individual 30-40 amp relays and direct battery connection is a great idea for anyone. I know with GM, the bean counters dictate using less than the correct gauge wire for their harnesses and I would bet that most other high volume mfg's do too. I have custom harnesses in my wagon and PU truck. I may take a look at the 4Runner harness design and see about building a HD harness for it one of these days if it can be done as a plug-and-play alteration. I just installed a Hella (Porsche) rear RED fog lamp that works really well in b-a-d weather and also really pisses off tailgaters. It is BRIGHT.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have had the Silverstars for several months and as far as high beams go they are BRIGHT but for low beams they are too dim for me, I don't feel very comfortable driving at night with them. I live out in the country where it gets PITCH black so that may be one factor. I am currently looking for some bulbs are brigher both on low and high beams than the Silverstars...any advice would be appreciated

Let us know what you decide.

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 PM

Jason B,

I've enjoyed your website in that it caters to many of third gen 'Runners in their customizing/performance needs. Any chance you might branch out to Tacomas as well? Specifically I'm searching for high quality aluminum or carbon fiber dash kit as well as reputable clear corners yada yada yada. EBay has many questionable looking items that I dare not chance. I think many Tacoma owners would appreciate as well.

p.s. I hope the Silverstars I get are worth it until I get HIDs headlights later.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I have had the Silverstars for several months and as far as high beams go they are BRIGHT but for low beams they are too dim for me, I don't feel very comfortable driving at night with them. I live out in the country where it gets PITCH black so that may be one factor. I am currently looking for some bulbs are brigher both on low and high beams than the Silverstars...any advice would be appreciated

Let us know what you decide.

Fink
upgrade your wiring harness. and the silverstars will be alot brighter. I am fixin' to order me some.
http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlight...re-harness.htm
Old 11-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb

I also enjoy the pleasures of county living. Yes this does come with the dark roads and herds of deer. My solution is (will be) silverstars with 2 or 4 Hella's, Eagle Eye or ProComp lights on the brush guard. But the harness upgrade with those 90/130 bulbs would just be great too. I guess it'll be all of the above
Old 11-20-2003, 02:20 AM

HD headlight harness

I was thinking after my last reply, has anyone made a HD relay harness or does anyone know if PAINLESS WIRING makes a harness for the 4R? I know they make a universal harness.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 PM

I used had the PIAA lights. I was so disappointed that it didn't last very long than I expected. A bulb did burn out in 9 month under the Colorado climate and spent a lot of offroading at the Rocky Mountain region. It is a waste of investment.

I switched to the Silverstars bulbs for a tryout. It was so much better than PIAA in all weather condition especially driving during a snowstorm. It is now almost 2 years old and has not burned out, yet. I could not say if it is the best light bulb for the money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PIAAs vs Silverstars