Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Peeling paint on the roof racks...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peeling paint on the roof racks...advice?

The paint on my facotry roof racks has started to peel. I pulled all the pieces of the rack off today (rails, cross-members, etc.) and want to repaint it. What do you suggest I use? Do I need to primer it first? Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

PS I know I should invest in a better rack system but I have limited funds so the factory racks will have to work for me...
Old 05-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Generally when painting peeled or chipped surfaces, you should remove the old paint (all of it). A chemical paint stripper (available at homodepot), or good ol' fashioned sand paper. Yes, you need to prime it. Then I'd use 3-4 coats of quality spray paint. Followed by a clear coat, for protection.

Are those roof racks metal or plastic? I've never really paid much attention to mine. If they are plastic, using sand paper is probably a bad idea.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Contributing Member

Mask off the plastic part, the paint wont stick well too it and it shouldnt need painted.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:13 AM

The paint in the channels of my roof rails has since peeled off. If/when it peels off where it can be seen (except for when climbing up to the roof), I'll prolly strip it and paint it as ChickenLover said.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

What would be the best paint, I need just a scratch resistant paint that will hold up in teh sun.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2000 OEM roof rack did that...took it and had it powder coated on the cheap.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

You just took it down to a powdercoater as is, what pieces did you get powder coated?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:07 PM

I have gone through this and this has worked very well for me:

1)Remove the whole roof rack(very easy with Torx screws I believe)

2)Dissassemble main components

3)Clean with a solvent such as SEM plastic prep. smooth surface with Scotchbrite or very fine sand paper (320 or higher). I would probably start with the Scotchbrite as it may take a little more elbo grease but it wont leave sanding scratches.

4)This is the important part. Use SEM vinyl dye(spray paint available from an automotive paint supplier) in either satin black or landau black depending on your preference (I like satin black). It goes on super smooth, dries super fast and is UV resistant(the most important part).

5)This should keep everything looking great for about three years. I live in CA.

6)P.S. I also do my rear spoiler
Old 05-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks GREEN4SKIN'R!

That's exactly what I am looking to do. I've been looking on the internet and can't find exactly what I need, could you link me to exactly what you used?

Do you have any other advice or tips on how to do it? Thanks a lot!

Any pics of your racks?

Last edited by unr.frosh; 05-20-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Unfortunately, I did mine about five years ago so they need to be done again but they did look great for a long time. As well as I'm a little computer illiterate and can't even figure out how to shrink a picture down to the miniscule size required by this site (2X2 pixels isn't it) ;-). As far as procuring these items, I found them all at a local AUTOMOTIVE paint shop (Tri-City) The brand of paint is SEM though and if you Google SEM vinyl dye you should be able to find a source. The prices on the net seem a little steep. I pay about $9 a can for aerosol color coat. It really is a simple procedure though. just use the scotchbrite by hand (I like the grey and the red "grits" probably not the green that you might find at Home Depot) until the finish is smooth. Then use the SEM Plastic Prep (get the cheapest size you can find as you wont be needing much) I buy that in about 1 quart non aerosol cans as I use it for alot of things. Wipe all parts down with a clean rag and the prep and change rags until no more color comes off. Use latex gloves or be cafeful not to touch before painting. Lastly, I probably don't need to tell you this, but remember lots of thin coats.Sorry I'm not any more computer savvy than that, Steve
Old 05-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

The 96' and 01' racks are the same right? I looked at my brother's 98' and they were. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same material...
thanks

Originally Posted by GREEN4SKIN'R
Unfortunately, I did mine about five years ago so they need to be done again but they did look great for a long time. As well as I'm a little computer illiterate and can't even figure out how to shrink a picture down to the miniscule size required by this site (2X2 pixels isn't it) ;-). As far as procuring these items, I found them all at a local AUTOMOTIVE paint shop (Tri-City) The brand of paint is SEM though and if you Google SEM vinyl dye you should be able to find a source. The prices on the net seem a little steep. I pay about $9 a can for aerosol color coat. It really is a simple procedure though. just use the scotchbrite by hand (I like the grey and the red "grits" probably not the green that you might find at Home Depot) until the finish is smooth. Then use the SEM Plastic Prep (get the cheapest size you can find as you wont be needing much) I buy that in about 1 quart non aerosol cans as I use it for alot of things. Wipe all parts down with a clean rag and the prep and change rags until no more color comes off. Use latex gloves or be cafeful not to touch before painting. Lastly, I probably don't need to tell you this, but remember lots of thin coats.Sorry I'm not any more computer savvy than that, Steve
Old 05-20-2006, 03:34 PM

I can only guess that they are but I would not hestiate to use this same process on just about anything you might like to refinish, I'm about to re do my stock skid plate for example. the advantage of the paint I have refered to is it will stay BLACK way longer than anything else I know. I have personally used it for years on plastic,aluminum,steel,vinyl with excellent results. Steve
Old 05-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I guess I was just confused because it is meant for vinyl. So this is the right stuff: Paint...
What are the differences between the two blacks?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second that...

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Old 05-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

How much did it cost you guys, and I don't know much about powder coating, how long does it last and does it fade/scratch easily?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:51 AM

there is only a slight difference betwwen satin and landau black. the landau is a little glossier. I have never thought about powder coating although I could probably get it done for free. Just keep in mind it goes into an oven and any plastic (internal or external) that cant take the heat will be damaged. And yes a good powder coater can do plastic. Steve
Old 05-21-2006, 07:56 AM

Oh yeah, if these parts could be powder coated with success it would be WAY better than any paint and should outlast your truck. Most good aftermarket front bumpers are powder coated for example not painted. Steve
Old 05-22-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

remember what that cost you?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 AM

I was just about to start a similar thread; the paint blew off my factory rack when I was removing Death Valley mud with the pressure washer at the car wash. I assume one would want to apply thread sealant to the roof rack hex screws to seal the holes?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I went to a auto paint shop and got the plastic prep, but they were out of satin black vinyl dye so they talked me into using SEM trim black #39143. Will that work? Or should I return it and get the vinyl dye from another store?

Here is a link to the trim black I bought: CLICK

Oh and did you use the plastic prep on the metal pieces too, or just the plastic?

Last edited by unr.frosh; 05-22-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Peeling paint on the roof racks...advice?