Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OOPS...eBay coilover purchase - not so good

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OOPS...eBay coilover purchase - not so good

Hiboyz Adjustable Coilovers

I purchased these used coilovers on eBay. Turns out my "deal" was not so much at deal, my winning bid was nearly the retail price of these things. This followed lots of begging to my wife that "I needed them" and they were a great deal. Initially, I thought they might be the Sway-A-Way Racerunners or Doetsch Systems' foam cell design which would have been a good thing. However, thanks to the tireless efforts of Mike over at XTREME Offroad (great guy, by the way) and the folks on his forum, I learned these are actually sold thru YourTruckinStore.com.

These are actually a cheap(?) knockoff of the Doetsch coilovers. These are not rebuildable, and in talking to the rep at YTS, they "used to" get their raw materials from Doetsch, but they elected to MFg. their own. Does anyone have experience with these shocks? I have got to do some damage control with my wife, so she will allow me to spend the extra $200 bucks to get the SAW RR's. My OME springs and shocks are on their way from Mike at XTREME and I wont be able to install them until I get this resolved.

Any feedback would be appreciated (please no..."I told you so, or were you outta' your mind", my wife will do that I'm sure) - hee hee.

2000 4Runner SR5 Sport
Deck Plate & K&N
TRD
Yakima Load-Warrior
2-Hella 500's
2-KC HighLights
Old 09-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: OOPS...eBay coilover purchase - not so good

Originally posted by emptyd
Hiboyz Adjustable Coilovers

I purchased these used coilovers on eBay. Turns out my "deal" was not so much at deal, my winning bid was nearly the retail price of these things. This followed lots of begging to my wife that "I needed them" and they were a great deal. Initially, I thought they might be the Sway-A-Way Racerunners or Doetsch Systems' foam cell design which would have been a good thing. However, thanks to the tireless efforts of Mike over at XTREME Offroad (great guy, by the way) and the folks on his forum, I learned these are actually sold thru YourTruckinStore.com.

These are actually a cheap(?) knockoff of the Doetsch coilovers. These are not rebuildable, and in talking to the rep at YTS, they "used to" get their raw materials from Doetsch, but they elected to MFg. their own. Does anyone have experience with these shocks? I have got to do some damage control with my wife, so she will allow me to spend the extra $200 bucks to get the SAW RR's. My OME springs and shocks are on their way from Mike at XTREME and I wont be able to install them until I get this resolved.

Any feedback would be appreciated (please no..."I told you so, or were you outta' your mind", my wife will do that I'm sure) - hee hee.

2000 4Runner SR5 Sport
Deck Plate & K&N
TRD
Yakima Load-Warrior
2-Hella 500's
2-KC HighLights
Flowers, her favorite kind in a dozen
Dinner at her favorite restaurant
Do her household chores for a week or two
Don't ask for sex or even hint at it
Do some other crappy thing for her that she hates doing
Hope and pray your wife takes the above bribes
Buy them SAWS and resell the others on Ebay to another "sucker" and when your wife asks how much they cost say "not much"
They don't cost much relative to the total cost of the 4Runner

Been there, although not to this extent, done that, got the t-shirt

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 03:30 PM

Thanks waskillywabbit. That aughtta fix things right up!

And for what it's worth...Your advice - with the level of detail you put into it...places you at ZEN MASTER status in my book.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Banned

HA HA!!! Hey, I have been there... so I can laugh about it. I told my wife we needed a new gun for prairie dogs to keep the dreaded "monkey pox" away and keep us safe. So, one new Savage Varmint rifle later:beaver: I still have no scope for it. She found the reciept for the rifle and was PO'd, thus no scope. I am on step five of Waskilly wabbit's damage control plan now! A Leupold 6-18x50 is almost within my grasp. Hmmm, wich crappy thing to do???
Old 09-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Flecker, sounds like a nice setup you're working on there, especially with that Leupold scope on the way!

What caliber is the Savage?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Ahhh I am sorry my friend, I know I promised not to send you the pricing, however, I had to for you to see the picture

Like we talked about, maybe throw them back on ebay with the same description as before, seems to me by the number of bids that others wanted them. Let me know if I can help you out anymore...best of luck!!

As far as the damage control plan, if you want the accelerated plan, you can try this...

Flowers
Dinner at her favorite restaurant
Jewelry
Forget doing the things she normally does, you will do it wrong and make twice the amount for her, you will then need to start at step one again

LOL Hope everything turns out for you, I am sure it will

Mike
Old 09-10-2003, 11:39 PM

Hey! Mike,

Thanks! By the way, please don't feel bad about the price thing. This is really about the build quality. It really P's me off when a company steals another companies design, minus the quality. I can see it now...I put these things on and after 6 months of rock gardens and frame twisters they are toast. They are non-rebuidable, so I end up throwing them in the trash. I kinda feel like I bought a cheap Rolex knockoff for $50 below the cost of a real one.

On the bright side...I sent an eMail to the seller and he asked me to "make an offer" on a return. We'll see, he seems like a decent guy. I'll do right by him too.

My wife has been great about this...I promised her that if she would forgive me for this most recent "lapse in judgement", I would give her a break from being pregnant again next year. - hee, hee (She is 6 mos into our 3rd. - 2 of them back to back).

Hey, check out my idea for an aluminum TRD/Yakima wind deflector in the "Which Rack" thread

Thanks again, buddy.
Matt

p.s. My OME's from you should be on their way soon, and I can't stand the prospect of having to shelve them till I save up enough for a new set of RR's. Do you know of anyone with a good used set? If not, I'll guess I'll have to save my pennies for a few months and give you a shout.

Last edited by emptyd; 09-10-2003 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:48 AM
Banned

Matt

Hey! Mike,

Thanks! By the way, please don't feel bad about the price thing. This is really about the build quality. It really P's me off when a company steals another companies design, minus the quality. I can see it now...I put these things on and after 6 months of rock gardens and frame twisters they are toast. They are non-rebuidable, so I end up throwing them in the trash. I kinda feel like I bought a cheap Rolex knockoff for $50 below the cost of a real one.

On the bright side...I sent an eMail to the seller and he asked me to "make an offer" on a return. We'll see, he seems like a decent guy. I'll do right by him too.

My wife has been great about this...I promised her that if she would forgive me for this most recent "lapse in judgement", I would give her a break from being pregnant again next year. - hee, hee (She is 6 mos into our 3rd. - 2 of them back to back).

Hey, check out my idea for an aluminum TRD/Yakima wind deflector in the "Which Rack" thread

Thanks again, buddy.
Matt

p.s. My OME's from you should be on their way soon, and I can't stand the prospect of having to shelve them till I save up enough for a new set of RR's. Do you know of anyone with a good used set? If not, I'll guess I'll have to save my pennies for a few months and give you a shout.
I hope you get your butt out of a sling and get them SAWS soon. My wife just has this look for me now when I do something to the 4Runner...she no longer says anything. I mean, why bother? I guess she figured there are MUCH WORSE things I could do in my spare time and at least I am at home and let my boys help when they can. Good luck!

I replied on the other thread about the rack and that custom fairing is a SWEET idea. Mind if I steal, uh borrow it and customize it some for a THULE? I work in a fab shop and that would be an easy mod with a nice piece of aluminum or another alloy and then slap some powder coating on it for my black 4Runner.

Brian
Old 09-11-2003, 06:06 AM

How about you dump the wife. They just get in the way of your 4 wheeling habit anyway....
Old 09-11-2003, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
How about you dump the wife. They just get in the way of your 4 wheeling habit anyway....
a spin on a bumper sticker:

"My wife says if I go wheeling one more time she's gonna leave me. I'm sure gonna miss her."
Old 09-11-2003, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
yeah, and then when she takes half of everything he owns, he won't be able to afford name brand windshield washer fluid.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Banned

Take only half?

Originally posted by sdastg1
yeah, and then when she takes half of everything he owns, he won't be able to afford name brand windshield washer fluid.

Every buddy I've had that got "rid of the wife"...

The only thing he got rid of was all his stuff and what he got to keep was all the bills!

Brian
Old 09-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Banned

Mertztr, it's chambered for .243 and has a varmint stock on it And you fellas should consider keepin' the wives around. They actually make pretty good spotters, at least mine does... she keeps me out of all kinds of trouble!

Last edited by flecker; 09-11-2003 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Matt

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
I hope you get your butt out of a sling and get them SAWS soon. My wife just has this look for me now when I do something to the 4Runner...she no longer says anything. I mean, why bother? I guess she figured there are MUCH WORSE things I could do in my spare time and at least I am at home and let my boys help when they can. Good luck!

I replied on the other thread about the rack and that custom fairing is a SWEET idea. Mind if I steal, uh borrow it and customize it some for a THULE? I work in a fab shop and that would be an easy mod with a nice piece of aluminum or another alloy and then slap some powder coating on it for my black 4Runner.

Brian
Hey Brian,
You can absolutely borrow the idea. Here is a link for the materials www.speedmetals.com
Matt
Old 09-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Matt

Hey Brian,
You can absolutely borrow the idea. Here is a link for the materials www.speedmetals.com
Matt
I think I can get the materials from stock...here's where I work

www.mcabeeconstruction.com

We have just a bit of metal lying around.

Brian
Old 09-11-2003, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Matt

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
I think I can get the materials from stock...here's where I work

www.mcabeeconstruction.com

We have just a bit of metal lying around.

Brian
Brian,
You definitely are hooked up. You dog, it looks as though you will be getting your TRD YAK before me. It seems the fabs. out here suddenly become Andy Warhol ($$$) when quoting a one-off project. Any interest in cutting two? I'll buy the beer.
Matt
Old 09-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
a spin on a bumper sticker:

"My wife says if I go wheeling one more time she's gonna leave me. I'm sure gonna miss her."
I guess I'm Lone Wolf McQuade here because my wife always wants to go wheeling with me. I tell her that as long a she can stand the smell of beer burps and 20 Hz farts then she should fit right in. She grabs a few clothes pins and away we go. She even takes the helm once in a while, then she shows me up and I have to put her back in the passenger seat so I can rebuild my status with my buds.

Back onto the coilovers, Too bad you didn't post here and ask about them. Somebody, if not everybody, here would have prevented you from bidding on them. Sorry to hear the misfortunes but one good thing, you learned to do more research beforehand.

J.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:04 PM

SUCCESS!!!

The eBay seller agreed to take the coilovers back, and I only lost $100.00 on the entire transaction (shipping back & forth, PayPal fees and $50 I'm a "good guy" rebate).

Thank you all for your words of support...It looks as though I won't be needing anyone's couch to sleep on after all.

Matt
Old 09-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

So when are you getting the SAWs? hehe.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Good save. A $100 lesson is better than a $400 lesson!

Quick Reply: OOPS...eBay coilover purchase - not so good