Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Old Gas Problems Concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Gas Problems Concerns?

I have a 98 4Runner that has basically sat for the past four years, it was started a few times durring that time. It has a 5VZ-FE 3.4L with 110850 original miles & Automatic Transmission. Unfortunately I need to sell it, in preperation for that I needed to make sure it is in running order. I got a new battery, and it started up, I let it idle for an extened period to charge the battery. However the last time I started it I noticed it ran a little rough. Should I be concerned? I am looking for some feedback, I think I know what my opions are, but I want to understad what the potential problems are, and why. If I were to explain it someone who would want to buy it, like I said earlier I think I know, but I hate giving bad info, so I want to make sure I am correct. I can not take it anywhere, so that option is out, well I could use my other 4Runner to tow it. But I would rather not, since I am trying to be economical. I think some good information for other members could come out of this; maybe, it could help someone to avoid my troubles. If anyone needs more info, explanation let me know I will be monitoring this post. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Just depends is your gas tank pretty full ??

Almost empty ??

Fresh gas is always better then 4 year old gas

has your Mil tripped ??

If not fresh gas might be all you need

Or you can just drive it for a few days see if it clears up.

Then you can just tell people who look at the truck it sat for the last 4 years
Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 AM

Add water burning additive to the tank and some Lucas octane boost....top the tank off with fresh premium gas and take it on a good 45 minute drive. Top the tank off again and run it if there are no issues that make you feel that you should stop driving. What is the reason that you "can not take it anywhere"?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:41 AM

I knew I would forget mention key info like the fuel level, or check engine light; fortunately I do not have a check engine light, and I have about a half tank of gas. It is not registered, nor is it insured. My first thought was getting some octane boost. I do not know how or why the gas when gas gets old it seems to lose octane. Not sure I need the water buring additive in Arizona, but I will keep it in mind. Of course I could just drain the tank, and put in fresh gas, with some fuel injection cleaner. The other reason I am asking questions is to debunk those that would try make claims as a negotiation tactic to try to get the price down. Also like I mentioned before I do not want to give bad info. Espcially since I am recomending yotatech, as a place for information, and ideas. Almost forgot to mention I have a can of Sea Foam.

Last edited by AZ_98_4Runner; 05-30-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would try to siphon out all I could and then dump some fresh gas in there. If that's not an option, just add some fresh gas and a bottle of Heet. The Heet will combine with the water allowing it to burned during combustion. The main thing I would be concerned about is the injectors getting gummed up. Oh yeah and if you get it started, don't smell the exhaust it'll make your eyes burn bad!

Also your larger size comic sans is driving me NUTS!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I take it your selling for scrap price ??

I never pay more then that for something I could not take for a check ride .

Best of Luck
Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. Yeah size 5 font is a little too much, but I do not need my glasses to read it.
I think the plan is going to be to drain the tank, and replace the fuel filter. I will also probably use the can of Sea Foam that I have.
From what I have read it does not take long for gas to go bad. Like vasinvictor said "The main thing I would be concerned about is the injectors getting gummed up." I do not remember the technical term, but the gas like turns into a varnish. Which reminds me; I need to research the fuel tank, because this varnish can destroy rubber lines in the tank. Also if there is an internal gas filter it will need to be cleaned, or replaced. Before replacing the fuel injector I would have them power flushed. I would have to remove them and take them to a shop for cleaning.
No I am not scrapping it out, it only has 110850 miles; but I am letting it go for trade-in value. Since it does need some work. I could drive it mechanically it is in good shape, well once this fuel issue is fixed. I found that I can get a temporary plate, and will be checking with my insurance company about coverage's.