Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'Ol Betsy has some Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Ol Betsy has some Problems!

So, I had noticed that the inside of my tires were wearing out very fast...I figured it was either ball joints, or tie-rods...or both!

'Ol Betsy has some Problems!-rixqwcy.jpg

But then I noticed when I jacked up the truck, the drivers side control arm drooped about 1.5" lower than the other.

'Ol Betsy has some Problems!-kert9g0.jpg
'Ol Betsy has some Problems!-mpet9ea.jpg

So I started yanking on the drivers upper control arm and this is what I find...hey where did my bushing go?

'Ol Betsy has some Problems!-vefnhio.jpg

[YOUTUBE]0fzW5-5c06c[/YOUTUBE]

Ok, so looks like I'll be replacing the control arms, or at the very least the bushings.

But wait...if only one control arm is bad, and the ball joints are good, then why am I experiencing the exact same wear pattern on both tires? Hmm, lets look around some more...

'Ol Betsy has some Problems!-0mkqlw7.jpg

Oh man...looks like my rack is leaking too! But my tie rods still feel tight with no movement when yanking on them...what gives?

Could the rack internals be shot, causing this type of wear? Or could that one control arm cause BOTH tires to wear out?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I'm no mechanic....but here's some thoughts to chew on til someone with more knows than me comes along......

How may miles ago did you last deal with the ball joints?

Did you check the lower a-arm bushings as well?
You can get new bushings from the dealership (some of them will tell you no, you have to buy the whole arm- make them look it up). You can also get a-arms.

You have the older style rack guide....if you replace make sure you order a rack for a newer 3rd gen, an '02, so you get the newer style guide.
Looks like a lot of that stuff is coming from up above. I'm not denying a rack leak, just make sure it's the rack. If you're changing the rack out w/non-oem get a set of steering rack bushings while you're at it. Wheeler's has them http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/c...96-02-4runner/

Your wheel bearings are good?

I like to get under there and have my kid (truck off, brake on, in gear) wiggle the steering wheel and look to see what's doing what where it's not supposed to. Sometimes things aren't obvious to me until then. Just make sure you can't get squished.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
How many miles on the truck?

I've replaced my lower ball joints twice, uppers once, lower control arms once, and steering rack once. I've never touched the upper control arm bushings and am now at 320,000+ miles...

Andreas
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Currently sitting at 340k on the odometer, and it'll be three years this spring since I refreshed the front end (new uppers, lowers, inners, outers, & struts).

I replaced the rack bushings many moons ago when I first bought the 4Runner. I'm going to get back underneath it tonight and give everything a once over again.

Any tips on checking the wheel bearings? I did the traditional 'grab tire and push/pull' test and it was tight.

Yes, my truck seeps oil like a sieve but I suspect my rack is leaking because of the oil accumulation on the bottom of the boots; I don't see any accumulation on the LCAs or forward of the rack.

I also found that my pass. inner CV boot is leaking, and CV is clicking. FAN-TAS-TIC.

Last edited by MunkeyTX; 01-06-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I chased a driveline rumble 20,000 miles ago. Was convinced it was front wheel bearings. After an unbelievably difficult struggle, I managed to remove the bearings - they were smooth, solid, and still filled with the white factory grease. Absolutely no issues with them whatsoever...

My culprit was the RR wheel bearing.

I need to give the upper arms a look soon. New Toyota arms (with bushings) are $190 each at toyotapartszone.

Andreas
Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 AM

Wow...it's amazing how the rest of the suspension will mask worn items like this:

[YOUTUBE]PXFW3b6cdI8[/YOUTUBE]

Both rear bushings on the lower control arms are shot to hell! At least I've identified what is wearing the tires!

I got up close and personal with the steering rack, put my nose to it, and the oil that is dripping off of it is motor oil, and not PS fluid. I didn't do a taste test so I might not be 100% accurate on that one.

So the control arms need to come out, and while I'm in there I might as well replace the ball joints...and tie rods...and to remove the lower control arm I need to unbolt the steering rack...so I might as well replace the rack bushings for good measure...aw hell why do I just go ahead a do a solid axle swap and stuff a 1GZ-FE under the hood too?

I think it's time to take her out back, and put her down.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by MunkeyTX
Both rear bushings on the lower control arms are shot to hell! At least I've identified what is wearing the tires!

I got up close and personal with the steering rack, put my nose to it, and the oil that is dripping off of it is motor oil, and not PS fluid. I didn't do a taste test so I might not be 100% accurate on that one.

So the control arms need to come out, and while I'm in there I might as well replace the ball joints...and tie rods...and to remove the lower control arm I need to unbolt the steering rack...so I might as well replace the rack bushings for good measure...aw hell why do I just go ahead a do a solid axle swap and stuff a 1GZ-FE under the hood too?

I think it's time to take her out back, and put her down.
NONONONONONONOOOOOOOOO!!!! (want mine to go to 500xxx )

Got my rear lca's for the 96 out of a lower mileage 02 that was in the boneyard. Should've nabbed the uppers out of it too, but hadn't thought of it before I'd replaced them.
Pics of lower control arm captive bushing vs replaceable.
Post#2055, 2057
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...l#post52211989

Rear upper control arms torque 107ft lbs, don't have the lowers.

You can get control arm bushings through the dealer. They'll try to sell you the whole are, tell you the bushings aren't available. Make them look.
I've seen arms through someone like Dorman (not positive on company name), but don't know what the quality is. There's a really great write-up for replacing the bushings here somewhere, using the stock jack iirc.
EDIT: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...rd-gen-265072/

Noticing a lot of 3.4 valve cover bolts coming loose and leaking. Many have fixed by simply retorquing them. Hopefully your upper oil leak is something as simple as that could be, depending on which one.

Your SAS comment...

Last edited by habanero; 01-07-2015 at 07:10 AM.