Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oh ˟˟˟˟˟ Handle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh ˟˟˟˟˟ Handle

I want to make a bar on my a-frame that runs from the dash, up where the handle is, and back to the fiberglass top. How should I attach this bar so that it is strong enough to hang on(pull yourself in the truck)?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can easily add a handle over the driver's side door:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...abHandle.shtml
Old 02-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, I saw that on your site and did exactly that for a while. Now I want the bar. I already bent some 1 1/4" tube with my harbor freight bender to match the conture of the body. I'll post some pics tomarrow after work.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Ok. Here are some pics for a better understandment of just what the hell I am talking about.

This is where I want the bar to go. The green is the bar and the blue is where it will connect to the a-frame.

This is what the bar will connect to the body with.
(the flat plate is not proper size, just for quick example)

What I need to know is, how do I bolt down that plate? Should I use self taping metal screws, or weld in some nuts or what? This has to be strong so I need the best solution. I know it is do-able because the regular handle and the seatbelt bolt up to the body, and are both very strong. Somebody please help!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by getitdone
Ok. Here are some pics for a better understandment of just what the hell I am talking about.

This is where I want the bar to go. The green is the bar and the blue is where it will connect to the a-frame.

This is what the bar will connect to the body with.
(the flat plate is not proper size, just for quick example)

What I need to know is, how do I bolt down that plate? Should I use self taping metal screws, or weld in some nuts or what? This has to be strong so I need the best solution. I know it is do-able because the regular handle and the seatbelt bolt up to the body, and are both very strong. Somebody please help!
It seems that you should weld some plates to the body at your connecting points and then maybe use some self tapping bolts with lock washers(2 at each point).
Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Do you think that will be strong enough? That does sound like a good idea.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:01 PM

Do you think that will be strong enough? That does sound like a good idea.
I think it should. It only has to hold the weight of a person. I wouldn't try just bolting it to the body because I don't think the metal is thick enough. Where you at in Richardson? I am in Coppell and drive a white 95 4Runner.

Bill
Old 02-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, a Dallas local. I havent seen(payed attention) too many of us. I live off of Jupiter and Cambell in Spring Park. Where do you go offroading?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

You could try some threaded inserts (RivNuts). Drill a hole for the insert, put it in and then crimp it inside the hole.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Wow, a Dallas local. I havent seen(payed attention) too many of us. I live off of Jupiter and Cambell in Spring Park. Where do you go offroading?
I've gone out to Mineral wells in my friend's truck( I need to replace my motor). I belong to a couple local clubs that 4Runners are welcome to(TTR & TTORA). I don't know when the next run is but TTORA meets the first Sat. of each month at Hooters in Arlington(off 30 @ Collins). I won't make this months meeting I'm in VA working for the next couple of weeks but you should go by and check it out(all the guys all cool). Here is their website http://www.txttora.com/.

Bill
Old 02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

I may do that if I don't have to work. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Since you don't have a seat belt, it looks like that bar would put a very nice crease in your skull if you came to a sudden stop. Heck even if you did have a belt it would make me nervous.

Jake.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

The belt is just not attached because I was looking at the metal under the brown plastic trim that the seat belt is on top of. Plus I can just put foam on the bar if it is in the way.

Oh and Roger, that is a great idea, I didn't know those existed, but do you think that it will be strong enough? There are three mounting points, each with two bolts. So that is six RivNuts for like 160 pounds or more. I have no idea how much RivNuts hold, do you? Have you ever used them?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

They can be very strong, depends more on the material they are installed in. I've used them several places on my truck and if installed well, they work great:

http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/rivnut95.pdf
Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm *Getting Excited*

Have you seen the metal on the a-frame of your truck? Do you think that is strong enough metal there? Also were did you get them? Local hardware?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Haven't tried them in the a-pillar, so no idea on the strength.
Good hardware stores may have them, or try an industrial supply place.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Ok guys, I finnaly got a day off from work/school. I did some research on those rivnuts and found somebody in Irving that sells them.

Link:http://www.bylerrivet.com/view_detai...40&to=category

I gave them a call and talked to a guy named Jeff. He was awsome and gave me 18 free "samples"! Even though I only needed 12. Totally cool!

So I riveted in the rivnuts by turning a bolt inside of it to spread out the rivet arm things.

I chopped up some plates and bolted them up to my a-pillar.

I bent some 1 1/4" tube that was laying around my garage. I cut some support bars with a hole saw, drill, and some pieces of wood(to align). Now the fun part, I ground the support bars a little at a time, one at a time to get the perfect fit. It took forever but here are some pics.

The Bar and supports(the red things are magnets)

Close ups of support bars and bolted plates.

Now all I have left to do is prep the metal to weld, weld it up, and paint it. Plus I will also cut/grind the plates to look better and weld metal balls cut in half on the ends of the bar.
I would start to weld it up now but all I have is a buddy's harbor freight welder. After spending so much time making everything fit so nice and whatnot, I want the welds to be strong and pretty. So if anybody lives near Richardson/Garland and has a good welder or thinks they can work the cheap welder better than me, let me know!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man that looks nice. did you use that piece that i smoothed out to fit all snug against the pipe?? maybe we should try and devise a (functional and easy) way to make the mounts stronger... maybe more rivnuts or something. im a little worried about that "split" on the a-frame above the door.

i cant wait till its done.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

What split?
I think the structural value is pretty solid. Can't tell for sure untill it's welded.
BigKen emailed me and said that he has a little miller mig machine. I am willing to bet that it makes better welds than this harbor freight welder. Maybe he will let us use it.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ooohh i bet his miller beats the holy h*ll out of the mig we have.

the crack/split in the metal around the recessed mounting screws for the original oh ˟˟˟˟˟ handle. yea... that crack.

blah blah me and tim are going to his old house for thirty minutes to sort something out and when we are done we'll drop you a line, and we'll go to the russians house or somthin

Quick Reply: Oh ˟˟˟˟˟ Handle