Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oh crap! !" BL now leaking T-case

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh crap! !" BL now leaking T-case

WTF, Ok so I did my 1" BL by myself and took about 5 hours (yeah yeah I took my sweet time). I had that stupid steering shaft that is to short, so I did a temp mod of washers, my 4crawler spacer is on the way. I drove over 500 miles today and noticed when I pulled out of the in-laws driveway there was some shiny liquid that wasn't rain. Dang so when I got home I crawled under to investigate. Now all of the Toyota's Ive owned the t-case is damp but this dang thing is soaked. Looks as though it's coming from the top, anyone run into this problem?

Aaron

Last edited by xcmountain80; 07-27-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM

spray it down with some degreaser and wash it off let it dry then take it for a very short drive then you should be able to see where it is coming from
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You sure thats not engine oil? If it is, thats a possibility that the rear main seal is done for. If luck is on your side, then it is something to do with the transfer case...

You will need to degrease it, and watch it like a hawk to see where its coming from. Smell it, make sure its the right oil as well.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
You sure thats not engine oil? If it is, thats a possibility that the rear main seal is done for. If luck is on your side, then it is something to do with the transfer case...

You will need to degrease it, and watch it like a hawk to see where its coming from. Smell it, make sure its the right oil as well.
I wouldnt scare him that bad. If the rear main seal is shot you see oil coming from the bell housing, specifically the the drain hole at the bottom of it. Never done a rear main seal myself but from what I've gathered from others stories it's not that difficult.. Just need the right tools. Hardest part is getting the tranny out, which isnt that hard after you've done it a few times.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Did you take teh shifters out to do the body lift? as in unbolt that top shifter mounting plates... instead of just removing the sticks?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI: Body lifts don't cause fluid leaks.

I imagine Tellico had something to do with this and you are just now noticing it.

The t-case gets soaked by blow back from something leaking in front of it generally.

See what kind of fluid that is first to help determine what is leaking.

The best way to find it is degrease as suggested and then take a short drive and follow the leak line. Probably need to take the skit plate off to get the best view too...oh what joy.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 AM

Its synthetic gear oil I Know the taste. Besides it's just to darn clean to be be motor oil. It was late last night and I wasn't tackling the skid plate removal. The tranny is dry from front to rear and the puddle of gear oil i on the skid plate under the t-case. I've got some driving to do today 5 hours worth. I'll keep an eye on it but damn what a pain.

Aaron
Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 AM

Tellico? What was that I dont know what your talking about those dents I got came from a mall parking lot.

Aaron
Old 07-28-2007, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Its synthetic gear oil I Know the taste. Besides it's just to darn clean to be be motor oil. It was late last night and I wasn't tackling the skid plate removal. The tranny is dry from front to rear and the puddle of gear oil i on the skid plate under the t-case. I've got some driving to do today 5 hours worth. I'll keep an eye on it but damn what a pain.

Aaron
The "taste"

I see from the other thread it might be a vent issue.

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Tellico? What was that I dont know what your talking about those dents I got came from a mall parking lot.

Aaron
Mall crawlin web wheeler.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Shut it! Anyway I pulled the mighty Budbuilt belly skid and it was soaked. I saw allot of fluid on the t-case. I looked and looked I noticed the breather best accessed from the driver side, seamed dry. The gromet or whatever the hell it is on the top of the t-case where the shifter goes in seemed pretty wet. Almost a volcanic action if I had to imagine what it was doing. So then I checked the fluid level and what do you know it was full maybe down 2-3mm but full non the less. Man I tell you I ask what the heck? In the past I added some extra clearance to my budbuilt for the t-case with a swing of the sledge, also fixed a rock dent too! Back to my initial issue I bought some extra royal purple gear oil so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'll leave the plate off for the time being but I'm headed to the key @ 5am and the 4runner has to go. I carry almost enough tools to rebuild the tranny on the side of the road so I should be ok. But if anyone has any more ideas throw them at me.

Aaron
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 PM

You took the shifter plate off to do the body lift right? You probably messed up the seal. There should be a rubber gasket in between the plate and the trans.

I did the exact same thing. Mine leaked after the BL. I just took off the shifter plate, removed the old gasket, and just used silicone RTV to seal it up. No more leaks.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 PM

I didnt remove the shifter plate, I loosened the shifter (tranny) and steering joint only. There was no reason to loosen the 4wd shifter is just dropped down slightly and doesn't contact anything. Though in any event I'm interested in what you did if I can't source out my problem.

Aaron