Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Nwor Vs Pp

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nwor Vs Pp

I was wondering which SPRINGS were a better buy for my runner....I hear the NWOR ones are a little cheaper than the PP ones, but I was wondering what people thought on these. I only need a minimal lift right now, my tires are rubbing and annoying the CRAP outta me and I really don't have the time or money to save for the sway-a-ways...anyways, any info is appreciated! Have a great new Years!
Old 12-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Away

Hi,

I don't think anyone in these forums has the NWOR Springs on their 4Runner but me. Check out this thread concerning the install of these springs on my truck.

I have had them on for about 6 weeks now. I am extremely happy with them. They ride great both on and off road. My GF thinks they are a little stiff, but my 73 year old Dad thinks the truck rides a lot better now than it did with the stock springs. He's the one who's right. However, to be fair, I will say this: The truck rides MUCH firmer with these springs than the stock springs. If you think the stock ride is rough, don't get these springs. I wanted a firm ride. So for me, they are perfect.

To clarify, I would characterize the ride as "Sporty". It is VERY controlled. Body lean was greatly reduced, allowing me to manuever in traffic with much more confidence and to take corners at higher speeds than before without the fear of rolling over or losing control. Large bumps off road are absorbed nicely and the truck is not bouncy. Small bumps both on and off road and other daily driving annoyances are absorbed and not transmitted into the truck. The highway ride is very pleasant. Expansion joints on the freeway are not bothersome at all.

When I installed them I got 1.5" of lift in front and 2.5" in the back, giving me a little rake, which I wanted. They haven't settled any yet, so they probably won't. Don't use the rear spring isolators that come on the truck from the factory when/if you install these springs. I have these springs paired up with Bilsteins, which will add to a firm ride. Let me know if have any more questions.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 12-29-2002, 10:38 AM

Dr. Z how much did those run you? PP claims they are 1" lifts, so I wouldn't HAVE to get new rear springs.... Would I have to with the NWOR's??
thanks for your input!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:48 PM
Away

Well, I would replace both the front and the rear at the same time if you don't want to be "Nose High". You would be nose high with the PP front springs too. Can you even buy just the front springs from PP? I have never seen a listing in their catalog or online for the front springs by themselves, only the rears.

I listed what I spent on the springs in the thread I linked... Lemme go grab the list. Here ya go:

NWOR 2.0" Lift Springs - Rear - #73820 - $172.95
NWOR 1.5" Lift Springs - Front - #73842 - $152.95
Urethane Isolators - Front - # 80086 - $14.75
Urethane Steering Rack Bushings - #80078 - $18.45
Shipping $40.35
Total $399.45

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 12-29-2002, 07:28 PM

I wouldn't waste your money buying new springs for 1" of lift. This will do nothing to eliminate the rubbing problem. However, a 2" body lift probably will and is a lot cheaper. There are pros and cons to a body lift but generally a small lift of 1-2" is considered OK, 3-4" can be dangerous.

The other option is to install larger bump stops so that the tires don't stuff so far.

IMHO, the only time I would justify buying new springs is if you plan to lift 4" or more.

You could even try long shackles to get your supension lift, without having to buy springs.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:57 AM
Away

Originally posted by upndair
I wouldn't waste your money buying new springs for 1" of lift. This will do nothing to eliminate the rubbing problem. However, a 2" body lift probably will and is a lot cheaper. There are pros and cons to a body lift but generally a small lift of 1-2" is considered OK, 3-4" can be dangerous.

The other option is to install larger bump stops so that the tires don't stuff so far.

IMHO, the only time I would justify buying new springs is if you plan to lift 4" or more.

You could even try long shackles to get your supension lift, without having to buy springs.
Shackles would be a good idea if he had LEAF Springs. His truck is a 3rd Gen 4Runner. These trucks have Coil Springs front and rear. In the General opinion, the stock springs on these trucks are mushy. Upgrading to new springs, even for a "mild" 2" lift, does wonders on these trucks.

I hope this doesn't sound snotty, but maybe you should read the post a bit more carefully before giving advice next time.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 12-30-2002, 08:27 AM

Well it does sound snotty but that's OK :confused:

I didn't see anywhere in his post that it was a 3rd Gen or even what year it was, for some reason I thought it was a first gen - brain fart I guess. I did see in your signature line that you have a 2K runner.

I that case, forget most of what I said, EXCEPT. I'd still go with a body lift if the primary goal is to allow for larger tires only. A mushy softer ride is superior for offroad use.

It's a common misconception that heavy duty springs are better for offroading. This is only true to desert racing, fire road running etc. If that's what's being done fine. If it's typical northwest wheeling then a softer suspension is preferred/required.

I would still not recommend spending that kind of money for this purpose.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Away

Oh, his sig line contains the year of his truck. Sorry for sounding snotty. I was trying to be cute. LOL

Personally, I hated the stock suspension on my truck. IF it wasn't my daily driver, I'd have probably chosen a different setup. Something extremely flexy perhaps. But that's not too fun to drive in traffic. Even though my present setup is much firmer than it was, it still feels much more capable off-road.

Your truck is that SAS'd 2nd gen isn't it? That thing is RAD! Nice job, dude!

Again, my apologies if I offended you.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 12-30-2002, 08:50 AM

Trust me, no offense taken.

Yes, that is my SAS'd second gen 4Runner.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 12-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
Dr. Z how much did those run you? PP claims they are 1" lifts, so I wouldn't HAVE to get new rear springs.... Would I have to with the NWOR's??
thanks for your input!
I actually got more than a 1 inch lift with my pp springs. After it was installed the lift was 2inches, then the front settled to 1 1/2 inches over stock and the rear remained at 2 inches. The back is a touch higher than the front.

Like Dr Z said, replace all 4.

right after the springs were installed

After a few months
Old 12-30-2002, 04:27 PM

I just installed my PP 1" springs and I got the same effect: 1" upfront and 2" in the rear. I'm very happy with the ride and look it created. I also installed an Air lift Outback 1000 for towing purposes, and Addco Swaybars. All combined, my ride quality has gone up tremendously.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:25 PM

Sorry guys, it is a 3rd Gen.. shoulda posted that in my question... thanks for the replies though!

SLCPUNK: have you noticed any settling with the springs yet? just curious...

BTW, I took my running boards off today, so the rubbing has stopped, but my tires are so stuffed in my wheel well, that wheelin might not be so fun. :cry:

I haven't gotten to really play with these tires yet, but they are fun in snow! I can actually kick up some nice rooster tails! Before if I stomped it in the snow, who knows where my backend would end up!
Old 12-31-2002, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
Sorry guys, it is a 3rd Gen.. shoulda posted that in my question... thanks for the replies though!

SLCPUNK: have you noticed any settling with the springs yet? just curious...

The springs have settled in the front 1/2 inch and rear 1/4 inch so it is still a little higher in the rear, but I prefer that so it doesn't bottom out when loaded.

When it is parked next to my dad's 1996 4x4 4Runner, you can definately tell that mine is higher.