Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Not so great Optima 34R experience - advice anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not so great Optima 34R experience - advice anyone?

I've been saving for about a year to get an Optima battery. It arrived in the mail last week (supposedly charged and ready to go).

I installed the battery but the 4Runner wouldn't start. Just rapid clicking with all the dash lights flashing at the same pace as the clicking.

Ok, so on the charger it goes. Next day, the 4Runner starts but it is slow and labored. I thought I'd get authoritative starts what with 800cca. I've driven around running errands resulting in starting the vehicle about 8 times. Everytime is the same - labored and weak sounding.

I'm also hearing some alternater whine that I didn't before, and basically am riding arould with my old Interstate battery in the back because I don't trust this Optima yet.

The negative terminal doesn't seem to fit well either, is there a product to tighten up that fit (some kind of washer or spacer)?

Any advice? Did you folks with Optimas notice a 'different' type of starting sound when you switched over from a conventional battery.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:04 AM

IF a dry cell battery sits for a period of time (do not know exactly how long) but it will lose it's charge forever. I get mine directly from Optima and have had 2 yellow tops do this and sent them back.

HTH
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 AM

Get that negative terminal replaced. A loose negative will cause everything you described. I would just get new negative cable. It will come with the terminal clamp. If that does not fix it try your old battery again. If it works fine then the optima may be bad.(pretty common)

My overall experiance with the optimas are they are junk. I dont ever see them last very long. I have had a plain old ac delco battery in my 4Runner for almost five years and it is just as good as the day I got it and has never gone dead.

Last edited by ThomasJ; 12-05-2005 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

That really sucks. I am so confused w/ about these Optimas. Others have said they're crap and some talk about having them for more than 8 years. If it's dead, they say charge it up and away you go.

Please chime in as I will be getting one soon. Also, my terminals are bad, have been bad, and require replacing. I plan on doing this at the same time I change the battery.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 AM

I've had great luck with Optima as long as they are used on a consistent basis. It should have a static charge of at least 12volts. If it doesn't, send it back/get it replaced. But like I said, if they sit in storage too long and not used..then they fail.

Calling them junk though is BS. They are far from that.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

It doesn't seem like the negative terminal is defective, just the OEM connection fit better on my Interstate battery.

Is it really common for these sprial cells to lose there charge forever? If it is common, how does Optima stay in business? I hate it when products don't perform as advirtised! Seems to happen more often than not. I fall for the hype every time

I'll keep everyone posted. I'd still like some response for people with working Optimas about how the sounds at start up may/may not be different than with the conventional battery.

Also, what about testing the battery? Anything different with Optima.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

I guess what I'm also asking is for people to describe 'normal' operation of a 4runner with a Optima 34R.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
I guess what I'm also asking is for people to describe 'normal' operation of a 4runner with a Optima 34R.
I insert the key, turn it, wait for my bad starter contacts to get a clue, and the truck starts.

i.e., no probs... It's the same experience I've had with a Delco, Schuck's blue-light special, etc. The only "difference" I've noticed is that I can run stuff (inverter for laptop, radio, etc) off of JUST the battery for longer without noticing a degradation in the starting experience.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Never had any problems with mine-- starts up real quick & strong 'til now...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

i had an Optima Red Top in a '98 chevy pickup. I never had any trouble with it. A very strong and reliable battery. The only thing I noticed was that when I tried to start that truck, it actually started faster than with whatever crap battery i had in there before.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

My red top is doing just fine and dandy.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Optima Blue was pretty decent. I'm likely trying an Odessey this time around tho. I've never heard people complaining about those.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

in my 02 taco i have never replaced the battery, i have never had problems, i have a sub and 300 watt amp that i will run for a long time with the motor off, like hour and a half plus on a regular basis. i thought my battery would be wearing out by now after the work its been through so i held a volt meter to it when the motor was started, im still getting over 14 volts on startup, im pretty happy with it. the only reason i see to switching to optima is that it has the accessory terminal where i could put all mi extra light and stereo wires.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JCI (Johnson Controls Inc) is having a LOT of quality issues with their batteries. We here at school know from experience because our hybrid car runs on 28 of 'em and we've had 'em be DOA or work, go out after short use. I hope they work out the issues because they can deliver loads of current and have deep energy storage. Until they do though, you might go through a few before you get a good one.

However, our experience so far has been they either go out quick, or last as long as a typical car battery would. So if you get a good one, you should have a lot of use out of it.

Frank
Old 12-05-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
JCI (Johnson Controls Inc) is having a LOT of quality issues with their batteries. We here at school know from experience because our hybrid car runs on 28 of 'em and we've had 'em be DOA or work, go out after short use. I hope they work out the issues because they can deliver loads of current and have deep energy storage. Until they do though, you might go through a few before you get a good one.

However, our experience so far has been they either go out quick, or last as long as a typical car battery would. So if you get a good one, you should have a lot of use out of it.

Frank
Are you refering to the Optima batteries?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rngrchad
Are you refering to the Optima batteries?
Yes. JCI makes Optima batteries.

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/
Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well my 34R has a a dead cell in it.... I have only had it for 5 months. Had a starting problem... Changed the battery out with another one and it started fine. Brought the Optima in to have it checked... yep.. it had a dead cell. No I am told that there is a back order for Optimas and it will be awhile until they can get a 34r in.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rixham
Well my 34R has a a dead cell in it.... I have only had it for 5 months. Had a starting problem... Changed the battery out with another one and it started fine. Brought the Optima in to have it checked... yep.. it had a dead cell. No I am told that there is a back order for Optimas and it will be awhile until they can get a 34r in.
I can confirm this as I've been waiting to get one from PP for a month now.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had 2 Optimas in my '89 with over 5kW of stereo amp and never had a problem with them. IIRC, the posts were slightly smaller than normal and getting a good connection was a little tough - which would lead to a lot of the problems described.

IMHO, you get a better connection using the side post "bolts" on an Optima.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Contributing Member

Great feedback folks! If I take the battery to advance auto or such can they determine if there is a bad cell?? Could this account for the weird start up issue?

The battery is showing a full charge on my charger but it still has a weak, anemic start to it.

I'll keep trying, nothing like spending more money than you should only to find out after the fact that Optima is having problems. Lifes a bitch. :cry:

Last edited by 4RunnerFever; 12-06-2005 at 03:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Not so great Optima 34R experience - advice anyone?