Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this normal?

ok, so i originally got a 4runner because i have loved toyotas for a very long time, given their track record with reliability. but ever since i've had it, when i take it offroading, different things happen. i absolutely beat the living crap out of this thing and it JUST DOESN'T BREAK! i go offroading with friends who are WAY more experienced than i am and they cannot believe that nothing has broken on my truck yet, considering the hell that i put it through and considering it is stock. i have literally gotten all 4 wheels off of the ground, yanked trucks (much bigger than mine) out of areas where they couldn't go through (but mine could), taken nose dives into an oncoming steep hill (only to feel the crash of the bumper/brush guard and then climb the hill afterward), ran through trees (yes, i said THROUGH), driven underwater, etc. (you get the point). how is it possible that my truck hasn't broken anything yet? the ONLY thing that has broken on it is that little plastic thing on the tailgate that says "4runner 4wd". and that only snapped off when i came back to earth after launching over the top of a dune (and nose dived into another) that i completely misjudged!

i have noticed something when it comes to offroading. the gremlins in my 16 year old truck get more and more agitated with every offroading trip i take. the sounds coming from my truck are not only getting louder with every trip, but are also creating NEW sounds. however, even with the sounds, everything is still working properly, and this just baffles me. NOTHING should be able to survive the beating that i put on it. i am just amazed with this old beater everytime i use it.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:19 PM

have you seen the bbc video where they try real hard to destroy a hilux? in any event.. nothing has broken yet, hopefully it all doesn't decide to give at once. i know what you mean about the noises, but try as hard as i may, i can't find anything loose or wrong.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by green91runner
have you seen the bbc video where they try real hard to destroy a hilux? in any event.. nothing has broken yet, hopefully it all doesn't decide to give at once. i know what you mean about the noises, but try as hard as i may, i can't find anything loose or wrong.
yeah, i saw that video. pretty funny. although they made it seem like the things they did to it were worse than they actually were. i had to search long and hard to find that vid. and now i lost it. oh well. i want a hilux diesel. they need to get some diesel toys over to the americas soon!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 PM

yea, i agree they built things up more then they had too.. but its television, and they were still some pretty crazy things to do to a vehicle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa..._broadband.ram

thats the link, theres a sweet program that you can get called 'Stream Down' (free trial), that will let you rip the stream off of BBC, and save the video to your harddrive, ends up being 27,006KB (27MB).

Last edited by green91runner; 05-31-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ayoung101
although they made it seem like the things they did to it were worse than they actually were.
i think submerging a truck for how long, and putting it on a building then emploding it are pretty bad. can't remember everything else they did to it, fire, camper fell on it........
Old 05-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

My friend Donny beats his 91 P/U up like that and it's the same story.
In fact, I thought that your thread was him for a minute.

Toyota RULES.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1st gens def live forever...

I used to take mine out to the deserts east of san diego and get really drunk and drive around... not my best moments...

But, anyways, ya, I did some REALLY stupid things and would drive home no matter what.

You shoulda seen this jump I did when I was sober. My buddy and I got about 6 feet of air, came down and didnt even feel it. lol

They are invincible. I wouldnt do half the ลลลล in my nice new 3rd gen that has all these weird parts.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
i think submerging a truck for how long, and putting it on a building then emploding it are pretty bad. can't remember everything else they did to it, fire, camper fell on it........
the submerging coulda been worse. it never hydrolocked, cuz the engine wasn't running, so it didn't hurt the engine when they pulled the plugs and cranked her over. the building thing i would think would do more damage to the frame and suspension than the engine (minus motor mounts). the fire was 100% cosmetic damage. they barely left it on fire long enough to peel the paint. i think they drove it through a camper or something. again, cosmetic damage. so i think they made it sound way worse than it actually was. still those trucks are incredibely stout and i would love to have one. also, if i remember correctly, that particular one had like 250,000 miles on it and was used as a FARM truck it's whole life, meaning it had a hell of a rough life. i also found it quite humorous at the beginning of the clip that they just kinda ran it into buildings and a tree just for the heck of it. haha