Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Member, Need Help FAST!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member, Need Help FAST!!

Hi, im new to this forum and only have used one forum for my acura tl in the past. I recently had a problem with my 02 4runner. Its a 02 4runner 4wd sport edition. Im the first owner, oil changes and everything done at home by me. Only used mobil 1 syntec oil. Oil changes done every 3500-4500 miles. Recently my truck broke down. I opened up where the timing belt is and seems the crankshaft is jammed. The timing gear fell off breaking the pin and the bolt that holds it snapped. The truck has 94k miles on it. Im pretty stunned at how this couldve happened because i knew toyota trucks for their reliability. I was wondering if there is a site i can order oem parts for a good price. Also what couldve been teh causes for this? Would i need a new head? The timing belt had not been changed due to the fact when i bought it i was told it was an chain. Now i know that was not true. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 AM

as for parts, contact northridge toyota. great guys to deal with.

did the timing belt break? 94k is a bit long on a belt...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow 94K on a timing belt... If you have the ability to post some pics we might be able to help you a little better. Are you describing the timing pulley on the crankshaft or on the camshafts? I've heard of this happening - only because the bolt was not torqued down properly. As far as parts - some good online sources are www.partstrain.com and www.1sttoyotaparts.com a google search will yeild more results.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94k on a belt is nothing. Ive seen this happen before. This usually stems from crank bolt torque. Depending on whats damaged, you may need a crank gear, pin and crank pulley. Make sure the keyway in the crank is ok. Your eng in a NON interferance motor so you dont have anything to worry about
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 AM

yeah, if the timing is completely haywire it just won't start. the internal bits will not collide.

just need to fix what is busted on the outside and set timing again,
and torque the bolt to spec. which is like a bazillion lbs
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM

As others have noted, 90k you have is nothing on that belt so I would find it odd that it was the belt that went. I did my belt at 120k+ and it looked like it would go til 200k. If no one ever messed with the crank bolt, I wonder what went wrong.

and you are correct on the reliability of these toyotas - your issue is not the norm...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. The belt didnt break infact looked great. I did mean teh camshaft. Im being told by people i will need a new head. The camshaft seems jammed. The timing gear bolt snapped. No one has even opened that. Im trying to figure out whats going on myself. Sorry no pics ive already sent it to a shop and they should have it open tommorow. Can anyone confirm i need a new head due to this? Whats the number to those toyota dealers. I need to get these parts ordered fast. thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM

also is it better to stick to oem parts"?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by harmztl
also is it better to stick to oem parts"?
for parts like timing belts and things, yes it is
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the cam gear came off you shouldnt need a cyl head unless something inside the head jammed up causing major carnage. Ive never seen a cam gear fall off before without someone touching it beforehand
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

well the camshaft seems to be jammed up. That is why the pin bolt broke causing the timing gear to fall. Would it be necesarry to change teh head out? Where can i get a legit head without paying too much.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 PM

ive heard on a toyota or nissan, if the belt breaks everything gets thrown out of line and the engine needs alot of help
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CASTAIC 4RUNNER
ive heard on a toyota or nissan, if the belt breaks everything gets thrown out of line and the engine needs alot of help

depends on if its interference or non interference
if its non interference then the insides wont colide and breakk lots of $$, unlike interference

yes i just said break dollars
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Post up pictures. That would help.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM

lll try to stop by the shop and take a few snaps. The camshafts ceased so hopefully nothing inside is damaged i hope.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Well guys let me start off by saying we found the problem. The camshaft jammed due to no oil going in, wierd part is only one hole didnt get oil but the rest of teh head did. Now we gotta figure out why that was. Im going to post up some pic and if you any idea please do tell thanks.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM

hi, sorryabout the last pic jus noticed it but down to the point i just got off the phone and mech is saying its wiser to just put a new engine in, anyone know if that is true? He saying it doesnt make sense or cant figure our how oil didnt get into that port and it did in others. lmk thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Blockage could have come from either sludge got in that passage or sealant from valve cover plug/cap or headgasket oil relief passage collapsed. You will need to replace the head and cam shaft(s),headgasket.You might be able to find a used head complete with cams,shims,ect and replace the headgasket for that side head and drive on,that would be the best option.

If you had to buy all the parts seperatly from the dealer and have them do it it could cost a couple of grand.At which point a used enginge installed would be a little more,and make more sense.Good luck
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM

The dealers also told me that teh oil pump seal may have blocked it, oil change has been done on time and fully synteic. Trucks at 94k miles. I dont want to spend on a used engine becuase i feel thsi one is still good and i took care of it. If the seal on the oil pump blocked it wouldnt it block them for all ports?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 PM

sounds like they do not know either what caused it and no one will know without a tear down.There is an o-ring between the oil pump case and the front of the block If that O-ring went bad(never seen or heard of it) then oil pressure would leak externally between the oil case and the block.The only "seal" is the front crank seal and if it went bad it would leak externally as well....If you have good pressure on all the cam journals except one,More than likely there is a problem in the passage...An oil pump problem seal,o-ring,pickup problem,ect should effect all the ports pressure wise...And If that was the case it would whipe the crank bearings "knocking noise" way before taking out a cam journal.The crank needs oil pressure way before the cams do.

Last edited by 97ltd4x4; 06-02-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member, Need Help FAST!!