Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Grill and Lights with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it looks nice! I wonder though, can you move the lights on your brush guard out to the outside of it, instead of the inside like you have now? I think that would look real mean with the whole triangular effect.

Butnut, that's the exact grill I have waiting for me in my garage! Only its from a pickup so it has the headlight shrouds. I was just going to keep the big bar across the center, but I like yours too!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:36 PM

Awesome job, I think it looks great!!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:45 PM

I think it looks nice, good job!

Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 PM

I like both Jonathan's and butnuts, and those pics have motivated me to do this to my truck. I've wanted to put lights behind the grille, but didn't like the look of custom grilles with no emblem. Now I'm going to make a black gutter guard grille, make my emblem black pearl and mount lights behind it. I can't wait till I get money and time to do it!

Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 PM

Someone photochop the lower lights out and post the picture. The runner then has a shelby mustang thing goin on. I photochopped it and it looks pretty good. Post the pics side by side or next to one another so people can compare.
BTW. The closeup of that grill is very nice. Great job.

Last edited by zedex; 01-19-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:28 PM

Here's the original Japan Hilux Surf that started it all...
Satoshi's Surf
I know Bob and a few others were working on doing this too. I believe the 96-98 grille is used. The color matched shell looks kool too. The only thing about a mesh grill is you catch a lot of bugs and small leaves....:pat:
Old 01-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the replies and compliments guys. Zedex, if you'll look at my webshots account under "new pics", NOT the "new grill and lights album" you can see what it looked like without the lower lights. It still looks good, but in person the grill guard looks real funny without something on it. Oh well they'll probably eventually come off, when I can afford a new bumper.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by butnut
Can you see my pic? If so, it's working without adding anything, just copy paste...let me know, they NEVER let any pics post before.
Yeah, I'm a painter and I prefer to use 'good paint' but I saw an epoxy appliance paint in rattle can so I used that. This paint is gonna last as it cures real slow, hours later, it was still sticky. I let it sit a week before handling it. I could smell the paint days later and it glossed off real nice, like powder coat.
Hey butnut,

I read that your a painter? I have a question, I want to paint my paintball gun.....And...i was wondering what kind of paint i should use...i want something shiney and glossy. The material of the gun is like a flat...textured surface. Its not slippery in other words. If you know what i should use, please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 05:18 AM
CTB

Hey Jonathan,

Turned out great man. Have you wired up the second set of lights yet? You need to get a picture at night with all the lights on! Looks great!

Cody

P.S. - And let me know when you order up a bumper from Zedex...I'd be glad to let you buy one for me too!!!

Last edited by CTB; 01-20-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CTB
Hey Jonathan,

Turned out great man. Have you wired up the second set of lights yet? You need to get a picture at night with all the lights on! Looks great!

Cody

P.S. - And let me know when you order up a bumper from Zedex...I'd be glad to let you buy one for me too!!!
I do have the second set of lights hooked up. All of them are working, but my digital camera takes out all of the glare so it makes all my lights look really dim. I'm gonna try to use my roomates camera to see if his is any better. Oh and about the bumper, no prob, i'll get you seven of them so you can have them painted a different color for everyday of the week.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Toyminator
Hey butnut,

I read that your a painter? I have a question, I want to paint my paintball gun.....And...i was wondering what kind of paint i should use...i want something shiney and glossy. The material of the gun is like a flat...textured surface. Its not slippery in other words. If you know what i should use, please let me know. Thanks
I don't PB but I'm guessing the gun is metal. If it does'nt have moving parts (besides trigger & hammer) the most durable would be powder coating. The metal is charged so the powder sticks and then it's baked on. Prices have come way down on what used to be very expensive. May have issues if there are seals and rubber stuff which don't like being baked...
A cheaper route would be the epoxy spray paint like I used. All metal must be very clean, NO oil or grease. A wipe with lacquer thinner and wearing latex or plastic gloves to handle the gun is a must...no finger oils. The epoxy paint needs no primer. It's thick so build up in thin coats. It takes a week before it's safe to handle. Don't shoot it heavy or it may take longer to cure. Rustolium makes the best epoxy sprays I have used, the appliance one has more gloss than their regular epoxy. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

I like it!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:11 PM

All I gotta say is ! That Ford looks so small compared to your rig.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:39 PM

Hey, thanks for the help on answering my questions earlier in this thread. I have found the perfect insert...will be done and back on the rig early next week. Not sure exactly what the stuff is called, I'll look at the label later. It is a lot thicker than the gutter guard...I'll keep ya posted.

Billy
Old 01-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome man, keep me updated.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:46 PM

Jonathan-

Will do...and I meant to say "the perfect insert for me"...I think yours looks killer as well, just different than what I found. Thanks again.

Billy
Old 01-20-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by butnut
I don't PB but I'm guessing the gun is metal. If it does'nt have moving parts (besides trigger & hammer) the most durable would be powder coating. The metal is charged so the powder sticks and then it's baked on. Prices have come way down on what used to be very expensive. May have issues if there are seals and rubber stuff which don't like being baked...
A cheaper route would be the epoxy spray paint like I used. All metal must be very clean, NO oil or grease. A wipe with lacquer thinner and wearing latex or plastic gloves to handle the gun is a must...no finger oils. The epoxy paint needs no primer. It's thick so build up in thin coats. It takes a week before it's safe to handle. Don't shoot it heavy or it may take longer to cure. Rustolium makes the best epoxy sprays I have used, the appliance one has more gloss than their regular epoxy. Good luck.
Thanks man.