Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New '02 Owner, Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '02 Owner, Questions!

Hey y'all, I just picked up an '02 Taco and have a few questions. First of all, the details;

2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Limited TRD 4WD
3.4L V-6
Automatic Transmission
4.10 Ratio
89k miles
Silver w/ gray int.

This truck looks brand new. The prior owner is a Trooper from NC (I live in SC) and when I say he babied this thing, it's because I don't know how else to describe to you how seriously particular he is with his vehicles. This guy cleans his lawnmower each time he cuts the grass!

This truck was not driven around town, just on trips to his hometown so it's all highway miles and its been garage kept since new. He was the original owner and has all of the maintenance records. It's in such good shape, the external rubber is still soft and pliable, like when new. So yeah, I know, you hate me. I would too. I'm just glad someone like me (almost as particular as him) found it! I got it for a song and plan to do the timing belt, water pump and front seals before the year's end (letting the stealership do it because I don't have tools or space right now). I will do the other stuff like fluids, plugs, etc.

My question is what else needs to be done? He changed the oil every 3k and I plan to do that too with the same oil he used (same oil I use anyway, Castrol GTX 10W-30) but not sure about what filter to use. OEM? Fram? What??

Also, what brand plugs should I use? NGK? I know they are dual whatevers and I think I can do them myself too (anyone know how hard it is to get to that back plug on the driver's side?).

But I wanted to know about things like sensors, plug wires, coolant, etc. What all do you guys recommend doing?

Thanks for reading all of this!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Congrats on the buy, The TRD version is nice as it will have the precious rear locker. As for your, q's....
https://www.yotatech.com/search.php
Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by sulaco
My question is what else needs to be done? He changed the oil every 3k and I plan to do that too with the same oil he used (same oil I use anyway, Castrol GTX 10W-30) but not sure about what filter to use. OEM? Fram? What??

Also, what brand plugs should I use? NGK? I know they are dual whatevers and I think I can do them myself too (anyone know how hard it is to get to that back plug on the driver's side?).

But I wanted to know about things like sensors, plug wires, coolant, etc. What all do you guys recommend doing?

Thanks for reading all of this!

I switched to using Mobil 1 5W30 around 100k miles and dont change my oil but every 5000 miles (there are plenty of threads on synthetic or dino oil, so make your own choice there) As far as filters, only use Toyota's OEM filter. FRAM and these trucks dont like each other.

NGK or Denso plugs are fine, in fact, alot of 4runners came with half on one side and half on the other. In order to get to the back plug you will have to remove your air intake (just from your airbox to your throttle body) there are plenty of write ups on here so search for those)

If I were you I would go ahead and clean the MAF (search) and perhaps get ready to shell out some $ for an O2 sensor. Replace plugs/wires/timing belt/drivebelts/grease your driveshafts/change your diff oil!!/ basic drain and fill of everything, flush the tranny and your coolant also (use toyota red coolant)

Preventive maint. is the way people get 300k miles on these motors. Im almost half way there with no serious issues to complain about (other than those many things Ive broken!)

Good Luck
Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info.

I know he's had the tranny flushed at 30k and again at 60k but nothing else except oil. I know I can do the diffs, the coolant and the tranny myself and it sounds like the plugs too. I'll take it in for the timing belt, water pump, oil seals and drive belts (might as well, they don't charge any labor since they come off anyway).

Is the o2 sensor hard to do? How much does it run?

I am using the search and reading up on stuff too. Great forum, lots of great info and people.

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM

good to see that you are doing the searching. lately too many newbies are not even bothering. the o2 is simple though im not sure you may have an afr. which serves the same principle. Good place to get them is URD http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=430006000
Stay away from bosch and other aftermarket sensors. Stick to denso/toyota, or even ngk.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 PM

the O2 sensor or the A/F sensor are both easy to replace. easiest way to know which one you have is just call toyota with the vin number, you might have both, or you might have two O2 sensors.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 PM

Having messed around with a few of these items on my 2001 4Runner over the July Fourth week I can comment.
1. I would do the plugs and wires with OEM. Especially the wires since they will match up
2. Whatever you do make sure you take the MAF sensor out before trying to remove it. Even with the air box out I still rounded off a screw. I replaced them with Home Depot part number 30699-82558 4x10mm cap screws. A huge improvement for 40 cents.
3. You probably have a MAF sensor. I had the dealer run my VIN and thats what I have on a 2001
4. You might think about new shocks and check the brakes
5. You definately need to change the brake fluid. Older fluid collects ater and can mess up the ABS on these truck and that is not cheap. Search for a few hints - I used a modified Motif power bleeder to fit the larger resorvoir. Not sure if the Taco has the same resorvoir as 4Runner but the fluid still should be done.
6. Wouldn;t hurt to hit the throttle body with TBI cleaner and a rag while you have the MAF sensor out.

Last edited by GhostriderTx; 07-18-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:05 AM

Thanks again for the info.

I read something about using stock wires. I think I'll do that.

I hadn't heard of changing out the brake fluid though. This thing has great brakes. I haven't looked at the pads or shoes, but they feel nice and tight.

Yes, the shocks are gone for sure. I loaded up some stuff this morning and could tell pretty quickly every time I hit a bump. Are the OEM Toyota/Bilstiens good? Or is there a better alternative for less money? I can probably rent a spring compressor and do it myself from the looks of them. Plus the stealership wants $500.00 in labor alone! I don't know if the 'service writer' I spoke with knows what she was talking about on that one.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 AM

You mean to tell me everyone doesn't wash thier mower after cutting the lawn? I feel a little OCD now....

Sounds like a nice grab.

Last edited by BennyTRD; 07-19-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BennyTRD
You mean to tell me everyone doesn't wash thier mower after cutting the lawn? I feel a little OCD now....

Sounds like a nice grab.

The guy I bought it from must've originally been a Canuck too!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sulaco
Thanks again for the info.

I read something about using stock wires. I think I'll do that.

I hadn't heard of changing out the brake fluid though. This thing has great brakes. I haven't looked at the pads or shoes, but they feel nice and tight.

Yes, the shocks are gone for sure. I loaded up some stuff this morning and could tell pretty quickly every time I hit a bump. Are the OEM Toyota/Bilstiens good? Or is there a better alternative for less money? I can probably rent a spring compressor and do it myself from the looks of them. Plus the stealership wants $500.00 in labor alone! I don't know if the 'service writer' I spoke with knows what she was talking about on that one.
500 bucks might be a little high but it is close especialy if it included parts. The rears are about an hour each because the top nut is a pain. I paid a local shop 200 to do the fronts because I didn't want to play with a spring compressor. The brake fluid issue is not feel. The water builds up and can mess up the ABS stuff which is then expensive to replace. I replaced my shocks with Monroe's but they are stiffer than OEM. I am thinking of going back to OEM's. If you search the forum you will see a lot of opinions on shocks depending on the driving you do.