Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need for speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need for speed

Hey all, Im wondering what can be done to make my 92 sr5 v6 4runner faster going up mountain roads.What does everyone think the best mods would be to improve up hill speeds . Ive heard about regearing it does this help much. Running 31's right now so would regearing it do anything. Also when driving on the freeway gaoing about 75 mph my runner starts shaking alot is this normal .
Old 07-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Need for speed

Originally posted by yoda92
Hey all, Im wondering what can be done to make my 92 sr5 v6 4runner faster going up mountain roads.What does everyone think the best mods would be to improve up hill speeds . Ive heard about regearing it does this help much. Running 31's right now so would regearing it do anything. Also when driving on the freeway gaoing about 75 mph my runner starts shaking alot is this normal .
I think everyone wants more uphill power! I don't have any suggestions, I drive a 4 banger anyway. I just wanted to subscribe to this thread to learn about regearing. The shaking at freeway speeds could be as simple as tires out of balance or alignment. Depending on where you bought your tires, it might be free to have the balance checked. Mine is. Aligment checks might run around $45, I think. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:19 PM

yea im sure the alignment is outa wack cause the front tires are wearing kinda weird. I think they call it cupping when i look at the tread it has some light spots and some dark spots. could a bad steering stablizer be the problem and how would i know if it is bad . Was wondering if shaking is normal on 2nd gen runners cause my dad has one also and his shakes too.

Last edited by yoda92; 07-19-2003 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well, there is not a ton of things you can do for the 3.0. The best thing you can do is give it a good tune-up. You can put in a K&N filter for better air-flow. Or wait and see when AMSOIL makes one. After that I would suggest the ISR mod on the tech page of this site.
As for gearing your truck differently, it will help to an extent. Re-gearing your truck will be fairly expensive, especially for 4WD, because you will have to re-gear front and back if you want to use the 4WD. As for gains in hill climbing, you are still limited by the power of the truck. Re-gearing will essentially give you the same as a slighly lower gear ratio in the tranny. for example, if you are in 3rd gear at 4000 RPM and going 55 MPH with your normal gears. To go the same 55 MPH in 3rd gear, you will be at about 4200-4300 with your truck re-geared. In other words, there is very little advantage, if any , to re-gearing your truck for highway hill climbing. Plus it will likely hurt your gas milage because you are having to rev your truck higher to get the same speeds.
Most people that re-gear do so to re-adjust the gear ratio of thier truck because of new larger tires. so that thier truck will run like normal. The other reason is for rock crawlers that want to exchange speed for low power. But these trucks are not good for the street.

Now for the shaking:
It is likely that your wheels are not balanced completely. Even if your tires are a little out of balance, it can cause your car/truck to viberate a certain speed, and not at all speeds. My last truck viberated at about 55-60mph after a new set of tires. It costs me $10 to get it fixed.

As far as hill climbing on the highway, you are either going to have to live with it, buy a new truck, or spring for an engine swap. Because I don' t think the 3.0 is goona get much better

Good luck
Old 07-19-2003, 08:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yea im sure the alignment is outa wack cause the front tires are wearing kinda weird. I think they call it cupping when i look at the tread it has some light spots and some dark spots. could a bad steering stablizer be the problem and how would i know if it is bad . Was wondering if shaking is normal on 2nd gen runners cause my dad has one also and his shakes too.
DEFINATELY NOT normal. You either have a bent rim, a ply separation on one of your tires, a misalignment, or just need your tires balanced. (Might wanna check your front shocks as well.) Adding a steering stabilizer to correct that would be treating a symptom, not eliminating the problem - the shakin would still be there...)

I can run at 95-103 with no shaking at all in my 2nd gen, in fact the truck is as smooth as butter. (I would NOT encourage doing that speed however for obvious reasons.) I use S rated 6ply michellens that are balanced and rotated every 5000. But shaking is NOT normal at all....

steve

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-19-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

start simple with your vibration at higher speeds. It really is probably just out of balance, which is free to fix (or next to free). It that doesn't help, check aligment. Then if it STILL vibrates, there might be different problems. Your description of the vibrating really does sound like simple out of balance tires. The uneven tire wearing suggests this, too.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-19-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the responses . Kinda sounds like im outa luck with getting mor power. So if i was to get headers , exaust , freeflowing cat , k&n filter i wouldnt notice any change? Or the change wouldnt be worth the cost ! , The guy i bought the truck from gave me all his reciepts of work he had done to it while he had it and i saw on 1 reciept where he was getting a tire checked out . The reciept said the tire was outa roung and they couldnt balance it so im not sure if the tire they checked out is still on the truck. Ive never heard of a tire being outa round . Would that be some type of factory defect , You think maybee its coverd under warantee?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the responses . Kinda sounds like im outa luck with getting mor power. So if i was to get headers , exaust , freeflowing cat , k&n filter i wouldnt notice any change? Or the change wouldnt be worth the cost ! , The guy i bought the truck from gave me all his reciepts of work he had done to it while he had it and i saw on 1 reciept where he was getting a tire checked out . The reciept said the tire was outa roung and they couldnt balance it so im not sure if the tire they checked out is still on the truck. Ive never heard of a tire being outa round . Would that be some type of factory defect , You think maybee its coverd under warantee?
Those power mods you listed would give a VERY noticable change in my opinion... I felt and saw a power change with my FIPK + HI flow cat + new fuel filter. Those have been the only real hp mods I've done.

An out of round tire would do what you describe and it occurs with ply separations. Its like a knot that is ever so slightly elevated from the rest of the tire. You can balance it out, but it still won't roll down the road correctly. I believe they can develop from leaving the truck sitting on one side of the tire for a LOOOOOONG period of time, locking up the tire for periods of time, or just be a defect...

Take it in to where the tires were purchased and see if they can help you out, and explain the shaking to them. But as others have said earlier check the balance and the tires roundness first. Sometimes you can feel an out of round tire with your hand by just using your whole hand and going around the tire making full contanct.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 PM

i guess im stupid but whats a FIPK
Old 07-19-2003, 09:04 PM

i guess im stupid but whats a FIPK
it's K&N's cold air intake system.

Fuel Injected Performance Kit
Old 07-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Your not stupid, everyone asks that unless they have been here for a while.
The FIPK is a straight pipe airfilter form K&N.
FIPK

There is some debate on whether it is a worthwhile and cost effective mod for power. Most say that doing the ISR mod,
ISR mod, is about the same. But there are people that swear by the FIPK also. Who knows, I guese it boils down to how much money you got. Me, I'm poor, I did the ISR.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't see an answer to your stabilzer question. I replaced mine when I looked under the truck and saw all of the oil from the stabilzer all over the place. It helps tighten up your steering a bit (if it feels a little sloppy) <- this could also be a worn idler arm though.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses . Kinda sounds like im outa luck with getting mor power. So if i was to get headers , exaust , freeflowing cat , k&n filter i wouldnt notice any change? Or the change wouldnt be worth the cost ! ...
I think you would definitely notice a power increase with that! I am interested in headers and exhaust someday on mine. I think that my deckplate mod with K&N filter is as good as I'll get with my intake, so I'm not looking into the FIPK or anything. As far as I'm concernced, I have the equivalent. But my reality check is that no matter what I do, I'll still have a 4-banger. All these modifications will not suddenly deliver 300 hp out of my 2.7L. I'll never be able to tow a boat up the pass with cruise control on, no matter what changes I made. I think we're in a similar situation. We're not driving 6.0L Super Duty Power Stroke diesels here! But it is satisfying and fun to make mods that result in performance improvements. My next one is basically a tune up, I'm due for new plugs and wires and changing fuel filter.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-20-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:11 AM

What kinda gains would i notice with FIPK, headers(who makes good headers for a 3.0 v6), exaust and high flow cat.Is it best to get a custom exaust or get a prefab exaust. what would i expect to pay for these items including install.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:53 AM

Engine Swap Info:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=13800
Old 07-20-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by prolax13
Engine Swap Info:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=13800
:cough: shameless plug :cough: