0%
other???
24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Need new tire reccomendations?

Old 03-18-2003, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new tire reccomendations?

Hello all, this is my first post! I just purchased a 96 4runner and am looking for a set of new tires. I am thinking about BFG all-terrains, mud-terrains or others? Where i live here in MN, i have to drive a lot of highway to get to off-road spots, so highway noise and wear is a consideration, so if there is a tire that performs great off-road, and is still quit, that would be preffered. Do any of you run BFG mud-terrains, i am wondering how noisy they are and whats the tred life like, and maybe also what snow traction is like? Thanks for any and all help, I will begin taking pictures of my trucks metamorphisis!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:33 PM

When it's time to get new tires (Hopefully soon ) I'm going to get a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts. I have yet to read any bad things about them, and on Tirerack.com they rate above just about every other A/T tire (I forgot which was the top). So that's what i'd recommend.

Also Welcome to the best Toyota Forum around

-Braden
Old 03-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, welcome.

To be considering an all terrain tire and a mudder is kind of going in 2 different directions. Depends on what kind of wheeling you as to which would be the right choice. Mud terrain tires will give you better traction all around and certainly much better traction in mud and snow. The downside would be possibly quicker wear and worse gas mileage due to the softer rubber compound and more open space between the tread lugs.

Of the mud tires listed, the BF's and Bridgestones have gotten good reviews. And while the MT/R isn't necessarily considered a mud tire, it is at the top of the tire chain. You can expect 50,000 miles out of the MT/R's which do ride very quietly. I think the other 2 do as well from what I understand. Not sure about the Yokohama. I don't know of anyone who has them.

I didn't vote, because I'm not sure what kind of terrain you mostly see.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the board, you will find alot of great people here with great info. Sometimes to much info, my wallet is starting to hurt from all of the mods I want to do now.
As far as the tire question, I voted for other. I have the Goodyear Wrangler AT/D (I have only found them at Sam's Cub under that tag). They are quiet on the Hi-way and gave great performance in the snow (had alot of it to test them in this year). I have yet to take them off-road but can't imagine they will be bad.
Just my $.02
Old 03-19-2003, 04:53 AM

Welcome to the board!

I have been testing a several different brand name A/T and M/T tires on my two rigs (1998 & 1989 4Runner) for 8 years. In my experience in a base on my 4wheeling and real world driving habits, I feel that Goodyear MT/R did very well, and survived a lot of abuses. Right now, I have a second set of MT/R after the first set nearly worn out at 45K+ miles with about 15% remained.

Goodyear MT/R - PRO: excellent traction on trail and highway, quiet tire, surprisely soft ride. (I did drive thru the heavy snow storm in Denver yesterday, the tires did a wonderful job to cut right thru 12 inches of snow on the steep uphill road while many other SUV and Jeep could not go). CON: honestly, I have no complaint. I noticed it begins to get a little noisy when the tire worn out at least 50%, that is normal.

Yokohoma Geolander MT - PRO: excellent traction on snow and wet road due soft rubber compound. CON: wear out too fast and howling noise as soon as it begins to wear out.

Bridgestone MT - PRO: excellent tires for most offroad driving. CON: a little too hard rubber compound for winter and raining driving. I almost spun out on the cold/wet road at about 50% wear out due a lack of sipes.

BFG AT - PRO: nice tires, excellent rides. CON: difficult to balance due the hard spot on some larger tires. (Don't blame on the tire store on the balance problem, they already sent over 3 hrs. on 4 tires with Hunter 9700 & Hawaka adapter. BFG Tech. Support informed me that is what we expected, huh?).

BFG MT (feedback from my friend's) - PRO: great offroad tires. CON: noisy and hard/rough rides, poor on highway.

Dunlop Rover MT - forget it, it did not survive my 4wheeling abuses twice. It didn't last beyond 5K miles.

Michelin AT - PRO: nice, smooth and quiet ride, long tread wear. CON: rear tires spinning easily on wet road under a light touch of throttle, steering could be more nervous on wet road, it could not keep up a good traction due to an long life rubber compound (?).

Hope it helps to give you the idea what I have been through.
Good luck!
Old 03-19-2003, 06:54 AM

Thanks!

Thanks to all who spent the time to respond! It seems everyone has their favorites! I will do some more research, but i think i got a good direction to head! thanks ken
Old 03-19-2003, 07:20 AM

Bridgestone Dueler M/T
Old 03-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Search this site- there are other similar threads about tires. I've been running the Deuler A/T revos with no complaints, quiet, great traction on wet pavement, but maybe not the best for hardcore off-road in snow and deep mud. They're getting great press about their wear and traction (50% tread left, but still has the same traction ratings as the brand new tire).
Old 03-19-2003, 10:58 AM

I personally think M/Ts on a daily driver are overkill. I just drive too much highway to put up with the poor mpg, the loud, lumpy ride, and the quick wear. I know others disagree, but I'm just a weekend 'wheeler.

So for an "All Terrain" I LOVE the Dunlop Radial Rover RT. It's more aggressive then the BFG AT, but still a lot smoother then an MT. Great wear characteristics, reasonably quiet, and darned good off road. Nice thick side wall too.

The truck I just bought came with nearly new BFG AT's so I won't be changing soon. I like them, But I liked the RT's better on my other truck.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:26 PM

anyone?

has anyone checked out the pirelli scorpions? they look alright but i don't know anyone that has tried them?
Old 07-31-2003, 07:19 AM

Red Chili's,

That's an awesome review of the two tires I'm having a hard time deciding between. Actually, I can't decide between three tires: Dueler A/T Revos, Dueler M/T, and the MT/R's. I mostly wheel on the weekends, and to be honest not that much, but I love to do it. I like th idea of the having the extra traction of a mud or max traction off-road tire, but I'm afraid of the negatives with regard to gas mileage and noise. So, what's your opinion of the MT/R's versus the Dueler M/T? What do you think will get the best all-around performance and wear life?

Chris
Old 07-31-2003, 08:31 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I have 15,000 miles on my set of the Dueler REVO's and am impressed with them. Although everyone seems to be more concerned about off-road abilities, I think they're awesome dry/wet paved road tires. They also did very well with the snow we had in the northeast this past winter. They're relatively quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern and barely changed my mpg stats after I got rid of the "slicks" that were previously on my truck.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

I actually just switched from Deuler AT's to BFG MT's. Yes- it is total overkill for a daily driver. If you offroad infrequently, stick with the ATs, which still work offroad. The MT's have horrible wet traction, and with the increase in tire size (I went up to 285's), the engine/tranny is definitely working alot harder now. I actuall kept my Revos on the stock rims, put the MT's on a new set of rockcrawlers, and plan to switch back to the Revos once the winter hits.