Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need new mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new mirrors

I need to get some new side mirrors for my 92 pickup. I've looked at the local auto parts stores and custom parts store here in town for some with no luck. I've looked on eBay and didn't really find any that I liked. I looked at Wal-Mart and didn't find anything really cool. Does anyone know of a store in north Alabama or a website to get some custom mirrors?
Thank you for any and all help.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Are you just looking to replace the ones you have now with customs ones, as in cool looking ones. (for back of a better term lol) Or do you need new ones that resemble your stock ones?
Old 12-26-2004, 08:04 AM

well when I bought the truck it had big camper type mirrors on it, then I bought those that are shown on my avatar, they were too small. I bought some from wal-mart but they're just a bit too big, nearly the same size as the other ones only mounted different, plus they vibrate when I'm driving. I would like to get some custom mirrors for it.

Last edited by gbpec7; 12-26-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

heres an idea

I don't know about custom mirrors (or about 2wds either) but...
if your doors have a triangular piece of plastic at the lower front of the window then you could probably mount the sport mirrors of a 4wd. what you do is pry off the plastic cap on the inside (carefully) the cover for the out side will be held in either by three or so screws or something remove this piece then take the sport mirror and put it in tighten the three screws that hold it on reattach the plastic trim plate and yer done. the sport mirrors are a little larger then the little wing mirror you've got now and because they sitt a bit further forward on the door your blind spot is reduced a bit too. Happy holidays Aviator
Old 12-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

if you are looking for the 'camper' style of mirrors, i have a set off my old 89. they are original toyota mirrors, if youre interested, pm me and we can work something out.

lee
Old 12-26-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
I don't know about custom mirrors (or about 2wds either) but...
if your doors have a triangular piece of plastic at the lower front of the window then you could probably mount the sport mirrors of a 4wd. what you do is pry off the plastic cap on the inside (carefully) the cover for the out side will be held in either by three or so screws or something remove this piece then take the sport mirror and put it in tighten the three screws that hold it on reattach the plastic trim plate and yer done. the sport mirrors are a little larger then the little wing mirror you've got now and because they sitt a bit further forward on the door your blind spot is reduced a bit too. Happy holidays Aviator
aviator, I would like to use those mirrors but I don't have the holes you speak of. The corner spot is there but not drilled out. Can I just drill them and install them myself?

leebee, this is what I call "camper mirrors". What do yours look like?
This was when I first got the truck.

Last edited by gbpec7; 12-26-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

yup! dose are dem, only mine are black frames w/chrome mirror.

lee

hmmm... its late and i think they may be all black, ill check in the am and post then.

zzzzzz......

Last edited by leebee; 12-26-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation hey gbpec7 got yer answer

hey gb you have that spot ( i think) . inthe front corner of the side window behind the camper mirrors, I see a triangular black plate on the inside side there should be a matching black plastic plate this is the part I'm talking about prying off, behind this cover you should see how the outer plate is secured. I don't know you might be able to pry it off also. When you get the sport mirror it has three screws on it that you just attach... tell you what tomorrow morning (when its daylight and I can see what i'm doing i'll pry off my cover and have a look to refresh my memory and i'll let you know precisely what it looks like. talk to you soon aviator.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

i was right the first time, black frames w/chrome mirrors.

lee
Old 12-27-2004, 04:23 PM

Hey aviator, the spot is there but there isn't a black plastic cover on it because it isn't drilled out. In the pic it just looks like the cover is there.
I found some 89-95 mirrors on eBay that I guess will work.
I'll get them and try that. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

the covers i'm talking about are on the inside

The ones i mean are on the inside of the door. I'll take some measurements in the morning and send them to you so all you shoud have to do is print it out and you'll have a template for drilling if you need to. Aviator

ps i saw a 2wd yesterday with the sport mirrors so they will work for you.

Last edited by aviator; 12-29-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:11 PM

My dad has the same mirrors on his 88 Pick up, (the camper style) We thought that they were put on by the previous owner...guess not though
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
The ones i mean are on the inside of the door. I'll take some measurements in the morning and send them to you so all you shoud have to do is print it out and you'll have a template for drilling if you need to. Aviator

ps i saw a 2wd yesterday with the sport mirrors so they will work for you.

Yeah, I do have the plastic pieces on the inside of the door like you said. I'll check that out in the morning, thanks for all the help guys.

Gary
Old 12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation took a look at those mirrors you're buying

hey gb I just took a look at those mirrors. two things
1) he is selling a pair not just one right?
2) it looks like he's selling the pre'drilled insert for the corner also. don't do anything rash but when you pull off the inside cover tomorrow you should see how to get the outside side off. But don;t do anything until you get the mirrors just in case. Cheers Aviator
Old 01-07-2005, 10:03 AM

Hey aviator, I got my new mirrors yesterday and installed them today. I pulled off the covers you spoke of and found holes pre-drilled on the inside but not all the way (no cover on the outside), so I drew out the pattern and cut it out and installed them. Thanks for all your help
Here is a pic.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Cool looks sweet

No problem, happy to help

The truck looks really sweet with the mirrors. I think the black ones look better on your truck then the chrome ones would have. :bounce2: Another plus if you decide to paint the truck in the future you can paint the mirrors body colour if you want. Aviator
Old 01-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Thanks, I'll be glad when I get all the body work done so I can get it painted.
I'm looking at some new wheels and tires at wheelguyz.com, great prices.
I'll probably sell these when I get new ones.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation If your going to do some body work...

just took another look at your pic. If your going to do some body work I think there is a cool air dam kit available for the 2wd. that would look nasty. If you want to go the 'tuner' route. ...yeah! throw on the dam, a fibreglass lid for the bed with a cab height wing on the back... : don't forget the clear lenses for the lights and a neon kit. totally tuner make the honda kids aviator
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM

well I don't know about a wing and all that. I would like to get a cover for the bed, my wife's ranger has a hard cover for the box and it sure is nice at times.

Last edited by gbpec7; 01-10-2005 at 06:59 AM.