Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Help ASAP-Speed Sensor Location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help ASAP-Speed Sensor Location?

trying to install a Superlift Speedo Recalibrator on my '99 3rd gen. It is 4wd, V6, 5 speed.

Superlift is claiming that the speed sensor wire on the transmission should be a grey wire with blue line. I can't find this anywhere. I have found 2 sets of plugs at the shift fork and another set coming out of the passenger side on the transmission. I'm thinking the plug and wires on the passenger side of the transmission is the speed sensor, but I'm not sure-anyone know for sure?

The wires on the plug on the passenger side of the transmission are red/yellow line and black/yellow line. If this is the speed sensor, which of these wires sends the signal to the ecu? Is the other wire the power for the sensor?

I'm pretty sure that neither of the plugs facing each other at the shift fork are the speed sensor. But here's the scoop on them just in case. The wires from them are both grey to a multiplug and from there it has a white/blac line wire and a blue/red line wire on one side. The other side has a white/black line wire and a solid blue wire.

Can anyone make heads or tails of this? Basically I need to know where the speed sensor is on my rig and which wire from that goes to the ecu.

'99 4Runner V6 4wd 5 speed

Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have to connect it to the inputs at the computer, the speed sensor is built into the ABS system

I'd have to check my schematics to know exactly which wires.....

Last edited by BruceTS; 03-09-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
you have to connect it to the inputs at the computer, the speed sensor is built into the ABS system

Oh crap. Do you have that? I can provide a fax number if you have a fax or you can e-mail if you have a scanner. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am quite sure you are right because there are speed sensors at each wheel.
You'll need a schematic for your year truck to see which wire indicates speed to the ECU.
You may also be able to tie in behind the guage cluster (again you need a schematic).
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Is it the same on Tacoma's? I ask b/c someone on TTORA is telling me that it is on the t-case.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...888#post340888
Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Back to the top
Old 03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragr1
Is it the same on Tacoma's? I ask b/c someone on TTORA is telling me that it is on the t-case.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...888#post340888
There are 2 of them on the T-case...
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34electron.pdf

I am really suspect of tying in there and having it change the speedometer.
I would have thought you would tie in just before the guage cluster instead.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-09-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
There are 2 of them on the T-case...
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34electron.pdf

I am really suspect of tying in there and having it change the speedometer.
I would have thought you would tie in just before the guage cluster instead.

Do you have that same file for a manual transmission? Mine is a 5speed.

This recalibrator hooks inline and intercepts and changes the signal going to the ecu. So it fools the ecu into thinking the tires and gears are stock. If the speed sensor really is on the T-case then it should work if I can get the correct wire.

Last edited by dragr1; 03-10-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Dude-

You have a Limited. Your screwed.

If you had an SR5 or Base you could do this:

http://www.sonoransteel.com/speedo.html

The plugs you have found are the 4WD sensor and the low rane sensor. Not the speed sensor. You don't have one. There will be a plug at the back of the t-case right by the output flange.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 03-10-2006 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 AM
Banned

old man... go get some coffee. he has a SR5 5-speed - NOT a limited.

also, so the SR5's and Base runners get speed from the XF case but the limited's get it to the ECU via the ABS??? i wonder why the change...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-10-2006 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Well fine. Then click the link, it's a piece of cake.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
also, so the SR5's and Base runners get speed from the XF case but the limited's get it to the ECU via the ABS??? i wonder why the change...

mine is the exact same as dragr1's, there is no speed sensor at the t-case, because of the ABS system. So you have to connect directly at the ABS computer.

BTW I have the Superlift Speedo Recalibrator, but never got around to installing it...

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Sucks, mine was so freakin easy. SAS'd so freakin easy.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

mine is the exact same as dragr1's, there is no speed sensor at the t-case, because of the ABS system. So you have to connect directly at the ABS computer.

BTW I have the Superlift Speedo Recalibrator, but never got around to installing it...

Bruce is correct. After a bunch of head scratching, a few curse words, calling Superlift on the phone only to realize they have no clue, it is installed and working. The wire I needed did in fact come off of the abs computer, it was even the same color as Superlift said it would be-this would have been a really simple install if Superlift would of had instructions that were correct and tech guys that actually knew something.

Incidentally, a master Toyota mechanic friend of mine did verify that we had the correct wire before it was cut.

Thanks for the help guys! Bruce I owe you one!

Incidentally on the home, the check engine light came on, but I think it is unrelated and should be my re-occuring P0136, or was it P0171, hell I can't remember, but Autozone will tell me tomorrow.

Last edited by dragr1; 03-10-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Only reason I didn't install mine was I keep changing the size tires I run and I use my GPS instead.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Only reason I didn't install mine was I keep changing the size tires I run and I use my GPS instead.

Mine has a setting for 2 different size tires. Oh yeah, another note is that there is no correction for gear changes when going through the abs-only for the tire size.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

I got lazy, GPS was easier, mine has 2 setting as well, just didn't get around to installing it.... just had way too many other things with more priority.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

So I ponder........

Is my 4Runner the only one with a Dana 44 and working speedo? The 4cyl W59 does not have a speedo sender so I have the Tacoma style T-Case sender. Most base models did not have ABS, although mine did, but still has the T-Case sender. I guess I'll see on the 96 SR5 in a few days.

I know for a fact the speedo does not work on a Limited after a swap and the mulit-mode case WILL NOT shift out of 4WD. As well as throwing a hord of CEL codes 24/7. Hence the fact I will not touch those. It's looking like this 96 will be my last swap if this is the case as I can make more money on other stuff. Bottom line is it's all about turning a profit. $$$
Old 03-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
So I ponder........

Is my 4Runner the only one with a Dana 44 and working speedo? The 4cyl W59 does not have a speedo sender so I have the Tacoma style T-Case sender. Most base models did not have ABS, although mine did, but still has the T-Case sender. I guess I'll see on the 96 SR5 in a few days.

I know for a fact the speedo does not work on a Limited after a swap and the mulit-mode case WILL NOT shift out of 4WD. As well as throwing a hord of CEL codes 24/7. Hence the fact I will not touch those. It's looking like this 96 will be my last swap if this is the case as I can make more money on other stuff. Bottom line is it's all about turning a profit. $$$
Steve I have found a way to work around the 4x4 transfer case issue.

The Limited 4Runners have two speed sensors:

The primary speed sensor that feeds the speedo cluster comes from the ABS ECU, and ultimitly from the ABS speed sensors at each wheel. See the following link:
http://www.hunt4steve.com/OR/4Runner...Code_P0500.jpg

The secondary speed sensor is on the driver's side of the transmission. This speed sensor is used to detect vehicle speed so that the transfer case can not be put into 4wd high above 62mph. On the Limited (at least my Limited), there is a switch on the side of the transfer case lever that is used to switch the transfer case into 4wd high, so that one can drive on the pavement in 4wd up to 62mph, hence the speed sensor on the transmission. This speed sensor is similar to the speed sensor found on the back side of the Tacoma transfer cases, in that it puts out a signal voltage of between 0 and 11 volts. Per the manual, “The voltage change should be 4 times for every revolution of the speed sensor shaft”.

I have removed the ABS sensor in the rear axle due to a Full Floater setup, and the front due to a D44 axle. I have not had the time to tie into the second speed sensor to see if I can use this one, however I suspect this will not work. As time permits, I will investigate this further. Currently my GPS is doing a great job.

If one still have the rear ABS sensors, I theorize these sensors could possible be used to feed the ABS computer, and then the speedometer cluster (see link above). However, I have not had the opportunity to test this. The ABS codes may still be thrown, but the front sensor wires could be tied into the working rear wires, making the computer think the pulses (or speed) of the rear tires are matching the speed of the front tires. Again, I haven’t tried this myself because I don’t have any ABS sensors anymore.

As for disengaging the front driveshaft, the front ADD sensor must be jumpered, or a switch must be in place. Since I will not be using my 4wd on the highway, I have used my switch on the transfer case lever to operate the 4wd ADD sensor. When the switch is closed, the (used to be) ADD sensor allows the transfer case to come out of 4wd. When the switch is open, the transfer case is allowed to be put into 4wd. I have tested this, and it works great, and I’m currently using this setup.

As for the solution of the speedometer, I’m looking to find a speed sensor that will go into the rear of my transfer case, like the Taco setups. I have a cap in place of where the speed sensor should go now, and I will investigate this further as time permits.

The only engine code I have received is the P0500 (Speed Sensor). This is understandable as the ABS has been yanked.

Last edited by SteveO; 03-11-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Steve, on the manual transmissions, the ADD system is mechanical, in the sense is doesn't go through a computer. there's 2 switches on the transfer case, one to detect 4H and the other for 4L. When switched into 4h it activated a relay to switch the vaccum relays. If you need a diagram I can get it for you.

As for the speed sensor, see if you can feed the signal directly to the ABS computer from the tramsmission sensor. You may have to build a signal amplifier/splitter, so the 1.40 - 1.80k ohms of the sensors remains constant. Just not too sure how sensitive the input signal to the ABS cpu has to be, you may just need to splice them directly together, then tie all 4 inputs together, but I still would put in diodes to prevent any feedback signal.

From all the wiring diagrams that I have seen, the input to the ECU is the same, between the T-case connection and the automatic transmission.

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP-Speed Sensor Location?