Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My painting plans; matching paint/colors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Question My painting plans; matching paint/colors?

I'm looking to paint up some pieces on my truck soon. Pictures below of what I'm going to want to paint (outlined in red);

Back bumper, license plate border, chrome wheel wells.

Grill (chrome and dark gray part).

Now I just painted my emblems flat black with 2 coats of Testors 1249 Flat Black all purpose spray enamel, and 2 coats with Testors 1260 Flat Clear Lacquer all purpose dullcote over the paint. I really enjoy the flat look of them! I'm going to be getting a black ARB bull bar bumper within the next month or so. Now the question I have is, what kind of paint(s) should I use to paint the other 4 things that I want painted? I've looked at a lot of old posts here and have seen that there are many different ones to settle on, but I don't want 6 different shades of black on my truck. I'm looking more for a flat look (my emblems, ARB bumper, etc.), so I'd want to settle on flat over glossy. What brands do you guys suggest I use? Could I use the Testors for the wheel well trim? Then what for everything else? Is there a paint and coat that would work good for all of these? Thank you for any help!

Last edited by CodyX36; 11-24-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i have had good luck with the Krylon fusion, for plastics and such, it seems to hold up nice. I know someone who used it on their emblems and it is holding up nice as well. I used it for interior pieces on the runner. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using Rustoleum flat black. Can't tell you how its coming out cause its currently drying up and we got the same color yota if you wait by tomorrow night i should have some pictures

Last edited by Cal01; 11-24-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Heh. I have the same color 4runner, and have painted all that stuff flat black. I even have a flat black ARB. You should check out my sigline for some pix.

My favorite is Krylon. Rustoleum used to be my favorite, but the Krylon goes on WAY smoother, no runs, no heavy spots, etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
i have had good luck with the Krylon fusion, for plastics and such, it seems to hold up nice. I know someone who used it on their emblems and it is holding up nice as well. I used it for interior pieces on the runner. Good luck!
Nice, I'll keep that in mind. Yeah like I said, I just finished with my emblems, I'm just worried all the other things I'm painting might not match. :/ Anyway what did you paint inside?

Originally Posted by Cal01
I'm using Rustoleum flat black. Can't tell you how its coming out cause its currently drying up and we got the same color yota if you wait by tomorrow night i should have some pictures
Okay cool, hell yeah I can wait to see how it turns out! What are you painting?

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Heh. I have the same color 4runner, and have painted all that stuff flat black. I even have a flat black ARB. You should check out my sigline for some pix.

My favorite is Krylon. Rustoleum used to be my favorite, but the Krylon goes on WAY smoother, no runs, no heavy spots, etc.
Yep, actually yours was one of the ones I looked at and really liked before I created this thread. That's the 2nd one for Krylon! And you think that'd be safe on all 4 of those surfaces?

Last edited by CodyX36; 11-24-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep. Its all within the prep work! Sand, and wipe with acetone. and spray. I stopped using primer too. I think it stays better without it.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Yep. Its all within the prep work! Sand, and wipe with acetone. and spray. I stopped using primer too. I think it stays better without it.
Awesome, sounds simple enough. And if you have available, do you know the exact paint number or code or whatever for the Krylon paint and aftercoat (if you used an aftercoat) you used?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
make sure you sand that chrome. do a google search for "painting chrome" and you'll find lots of tips for what grades of sandpaper to use.

but it's definitely in the prep. first sand, second sand, wipe with prep solution, and spray away.

hey: you're doing the back, but not the front bumper? do it all flt blk!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 11-25-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
make sure you sand that chrome. do a google search for "painting chrome" and you'll find lots of tips for what grades of sandpaper to use.

but it's definitely in the prep. first sand, second sand, wipe with prep solution, and spray away.

hey: you're doing the back, but not the front bumper? do it all flt blk!
Yeah I'm definitely not going to want paint start peeling off the chrome part, I'll be sure to prep that to the max. I'm getting an ARB in the front soon.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 AM

you should check out the newb section... I used your yota as a preference

what do you guys think about replacing the rear hatch with a black one...only works with white yotas...and how come they don't have fiberglass hood? these hood are damn heavy.

sorry for the questions, let me know if you want me to remove them.

back to working on the painting. its dry now time to sand them down. pictures soon.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 AM

you should check out the newb section... I used your yota as a preference

what do you guys think about replacing the rear hatch with a black one...only works with white yotas...and how come they don't have fiberglass hood? these hood are damn heavy.

sorry for the questions, let me know if you want me to remove them.

back to working on the painting. its dry now time to sand them down. pictures soon.
Nah it's good, I've thought about aftermarket hoods too in the past, those would probably be my last priority now though.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! What exactly did you paint?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM

same parts your painting, except for the front grill...

rears are already painted but prob go with spray can next time...lots of work involve, too much for the flat black look. I've done a whole car before with rustoleum and it came out minty. The back part where 4runner logo is..that part is hard to remove. know your clips...if you have prob with the clip let me know.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 PM

sucky camera phone

painted. decided I'm going to make a post of my own. more pictures there. link soon.

Last edited by Cal01; 11-25-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:39 PM

same parts your painting, except for the front grill...

rears are already painted but prob go with spray can next time...lots of work involve, too much for the flat black look. I've done a whole car before with rustoleum and it came out minty. The back part where 4runner logo is..that part is hard to remove. know your clips...if you have prob with the clip let me know.
Yeah I've only seen a few threads on here about removing that back plate. But if I have any problems I'll let you know. It all looks good! How many coats did you do? Also, did you use any finish? And how many cans of paint do you think I'll need to do all the parts I want to do?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM

depends on what your goin to use. I had Rustoleum already so i used that. no finsher nada. no need. With the Rustoleum i barely even used a quarter of a quart. 2 layers.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...an-mod-197600/
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM

depends on what your goin to use. I had Rustoleum already so i used that. no finsher nada. no need. With the Rustoleum i barely even used a quarter of a quart. 2 layers.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...an-mod-197600/
Does the Rustoleum come in a spray can?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Bump. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Rustoleum is a great paint, I've used it to paint 3 wind shield wipers, and my rear bumper. It holds up great. plus removing chrome is such an easy process... just sand the crap outta it. are you going with flat black? what color did you decide on?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Rustoleum is a great paint, I've used it to paint 3 wind shield wipers, and my rear bumper. It holds up great. plus removing chrome is such an easy process... just sand the crap outta it. are you going with flat black? what color did you decide on?
Yep I want flat black. Sounds like I'm going to have to go with Rustoleum. Did you use any finish over it, or not?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Here are pictures of my painted emblems on the painted back license plate holder, also the front grill. How does it look?

Last edited by CodyX36; 12-01-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: My painting plans; matching paint/colors?