Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new 4runner was keyed at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My new 4runner was keyed at the dealership

Damnit I took my new 4runner in to have a small issue addressed and the next day when I got it back, I noticed that the entire passenger side from the headlights to the tail lights had been keyed.

I was so ****ing pissed so I took it right back to the dealership to have them check it out. The service advisor was really cool and he apologized but he, of course, could not offer any explanation.

He then called the service manager to come and look at it and the service manager said someone must have run over a piece of gum and it had splattered up on the car I don't know what the hell that idiot was smoking.

Anyways, the service advisor was still cool and I sat there for an hour as they tried to buff it out. Of course, it didn't work.

The service advisor apologized again and setup another appointment with me to give me a rental and to take the truck into a body shop. All I know is that they better fix this ˟˟˟˟ and it better look perfect.

-Ash
Old 06-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, sorry Ash. At least they're stepping up to the plate for the repair. I hope they have a good body shop, the mica paints are extremely hard to match. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

sux...

atleast they were cool about it. also they're fixing it for ya, even giving out a loaner (hope for the LC hehe yeah right.. lol).

most stealers would say, sorry you took your vehicle home so it must have happened at home or something. I guess there are some nice one's out there!

hope it comes back better...
Old 06-05-2003, 10:39 AM

man that sucks but its nice that there fixing it. i hope everything works out.

Chris
Old 06-05-2003, 11:05 AM

Damn man Im sorry for this zhit you should not have to go through, you would think it would at least be safe at the dealer.

Kinda makes me think of all the jealous people who do this crap, to bad they are never caught in the act, my car or someone elses.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:10 AM

Sorry to hear about that, they did the same thing to mine except they crushed my roof with the garage door :pat:
Old 06-05-2003, 11:22 AM

Ashburner
on a brighter note Happy 25th
Old 06-05-2003, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys... Yeah, talk about a crappy Birthday present.

Oh well, life goes on.

-Ash
Old 06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

A piece of gum splattered up? Yeah dude. I agree, at least they are taking care of it. But that just plain sucks.

Let us know how things go, and feel free to post the name and location of the dealership if you feel its necessary
Old 06-05-2003, 01:38 PM

Wow, sorry man that really sucks...I'm not sure how long you've have had your '03, but if it was me, and it was less than a couple thousand miles, I'd push for an entirely new truck. Who wants to pay $40k (after fees/interest) for a truck that has been painted already...that would really piss me off. I'd consider calling the customer service hotline on that one. No excuse, period. They need to take full responsibility to make you happy. I'm nervous enough about leaving my 3 year old truck at a steelership in fear something just like that may happen. Some of us are extremely anal about our vehicles, but we pay to keep them that way. A dealership repaint would simply not work for me. Any (and I mean any) paintwork would be done at a bodyshop of my choice if thats what it came down to. I know a few very high end painters here in town that do better than factory work. I don't know where this happened, but I'd be willing to bet that the dealership painting skills aren't as good as factory.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:08 PM

You guys crack me up

I want to put in a reply for the Stealer ship. Yes I am glad they are repainting it for you. (make sure you tripple check it!!)

I have worked at a few Stealer ships in my day. You guys shouldn't put total blame on them. It is very hard too keep an eye on all Cars and Trucks. Did you sign a piece of paper ? If so, can you read what it says above or under what you signed?

PhxTRDRunner,

I don't understand why they A Stealership would give out a brand new 4-Runner for his being keyed!! Did THEY do it? If so can he prove it!! I am not picking on him, but just giving some thoughts.

The gum thing :pat: Oh man he was hurting for something to say .
Old 06-05-2003, 02:26 PM

Re: You guys crack me up

Originally posted by green94pu4x4
PhxTRDRunner,

I don't understand why they A Stealership would give out a brand new 4-Runner for his being keyed!! Did THEY do it? If so can he prove it!! I am not picking on him, but just giving some thoughts.

This is exactly why I do all my own service work....I know they have a disclaimer, but doesn't change the fact that once they take possession of your vehicle, they assume full responsibility for it. Its not like people wander in to the back yard of the service area just to key a customers car..it was most likely an employee. Yes, it was entirely their fault, wasn't that way when dropped off, shouldn't be when picked up. My point was that dealer paint jobs aren't what people think. They are NOT the factory, and don't do work nearly as good.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

No offense, but what do you guys expect from a $5.50/hr lot attendant that would lose his job at even the slightest mishap?

It all comes down to business ethics, and right now America doesn't have a very good track record.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:39 PM

A dealership repaint would simply not work for me. Any (and I mean any) paintwork would be done at a bodyshop of my choice if thats what it came down to. I know a few very high end painters here in town that do better than factory work. I don't know where this happened, but I'd be willing to bet that the dealership painting skills aren't as good as factory.

I know alot of good body men and painters that work up here at the Dealer location I am at. We have Ford, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, Mazda, Hyundia. Also one of the Biggest used car dealers in the State. I also do know that these people get training on these manufactures from the Automotive company's.

We have a Collision center that does over 4 million a year in body work!! Also some custom stuff in there also throughout the year!!

Not too break up the topic or anything
Old 06-05-2003, 06:50 PM

We have a Collision center that does over 4 million a year in body work!!
Dam man...dosen't anybody know how to drive around there?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by bitchaaz
Dam man...dosen't anybody know how to drive around there?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:42 PM

I know alot of good body men and painters that work up here at the Dealer location I am at. We have Ford, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, Mazda, Hyundia. Also one of the Biggest used car dealers in the State. I also do know that these people get training on these manufactures from the Automotive company's.

We have a Collision center that does over 4 million a year in body work!! Also some custom stuff in there also throughout the year!!

Not too break up the topic or anything
Sorry, I truely am not intending on flaming here BUT..

I'm curious, do they take each vehicle down to the unibody, and paint each piece individually and then bake them? No, didn't think so, a full car heating room doesn't do the same job either. I understand there are good painters out there, but the problem is they all do custom one_off stuff, and aren't found anywhere near a dealership. They're paintjobs will run near $10k on average. Such as Dino's in Tempe,AZ. Check some import and minitruck mag's, you'll find his work there..I believe many of the custom bike guys take their stuff to him as well. You really would need to go to someone like him to get a "factory like" paint job. A $1500 job just would not cut it.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
Damn man Im sorry for this zhit you should not have to go through, you would think it would at least be safe at the dealer.

Kinda makes me think of all the jealous people who do this crap, to bad they are never caught in the act, my car or someone elses.

Actually, they do get caught in the act, but the bodies are not generally recovered.....
Old 06-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Man that really sucks.

There would be some serious negotiations with my dealer if that happened to me.

And they don't have you sign a waiver here...
Old 06-06-2003, 08:04 AM

No, I did not sign any waiver besides a service contract and no where on there does it say anything about not being responsible for damage.

When it gets repainted, I am going to make sure it is absolutely perfect. If it is not, I'll make them paint it again until they get it right. After they repaint it twice, I'm going to tell them to throw in a free Supercharger!

-Ash

Quick Reply: My new 4runner was keyed at the dealership