Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My last straw with VSC!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My last straw with VSC!!

Well the awsome VSC did it to me again. I was driving to work last week, there was some slush on the road. When I made a left turn the VSC must have thought I was slipping or sliding. If anything one wheel might have lost traction, I was trying to take the corner at a normal speed for the conditions. As soon as I crossed into oncoming traffic it beeped, went to idle, and stayed at idle the rest of the way through the intersection. I was in no danger because the oncoming was far enough away. But what if a truck had been coming I would have been T-boned for sure!! Do the newer 4runners have the same system that can't be defeated? Or it is only the '01-'02 4runners that have the curse? I would love to get a newer 4runner but I will never buy another vehicle that has a VSC that cannot be turned off!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 AM

"cursed" 4runner. I love it, so true! I think only the 08's come with a VSC off button. Personally, I hate TRAC and ABS so I had no problem yanking the fuse for ABS, TRAC, & VSC. It's amazing how much more I like my truck in the winter without the TRAC & ABS. I feel safe again. I would like the option to have VSC on/off though. TRAC was going to get me t-boned pulling out of my street eventually.

What I don't quite get is that it sounds like your engine is going to idle when your VSC kicks in. I don't think that's normal. My engine only gets shut down when I am starting up and the wheels spin (TRAC). When my VSC kicks in while turning my engine is not affected.

I would bring your 4runner to Toyota and describe to them what is happening. Like I said, I don't think what's going on with your truck is normal. I'm sure some others here will have some input for you too and let you know if your engine going idle with VSC is supposed to happen.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 AM

Two days before the intersection incident I almost got stuck in a snow bank because of the VSC. Our development streets are basically plowed to one lane so when I pulled over to let another car pass I was half in a snow bank. When I tried to pull out, the VSC beeped and would not let the engine go above idle. After I was finally able to lock the center diff. (which disables the VSC) I was able to pull out no problem. That was embarassing because 2 wheel drive cars were pulling out of the snow without a problem. And there I was in a 4x4 with offroad tires going beep, beep, beep, bog, beep, beep, beep, bog. I'm getting irritated just thinking about it.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 AM

If you pulled over and had beeping when you were trying to start up....that is TRAC. You should take a look at your tires and see if maybe it is time to replace them. That could cause more 'beeps' than usual. A good all-terrain tire might help out. I had more control of my '94 camry with highway tires in heavy snow than my 4runner in 4wd with tires nearing the end of their life.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 AM

I'm certain it's not atrack, atrack does not beep. When the center diff is locked the VSC is disabled and atrack is still very active. I've never heard the beep with the center diff locked. Also my tires are BFG AT KO's with less than 5k miles. It's kind of like Jekle and hyde. When the center diff is locked thus disableing the VSC it's unstopable. With it just in 4high (center diff unlocked) it stops if it detects any wheel spin, I think it might be affraid to get dirty in this configuratoin. I'm positive there is nothing wrong with my 4runner other than the overly enthusiastic nanny called VSC. I just wish the VSC would permanently go away.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 AM

Time for the Andy Mod. I thought the VSC/TRAC was way too sensitive in the 3rd gens, too. The 4th gens are way better in this aspect.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM

I've considered the Andy Mod but I would like to be able to keep the atrac and ABS, just lose the VSC. I'm working on something to do just that. If I can get it to work I will keep the 4runner for ever. If not then it's time to move on. I think I'll look for a '99 Land Cruiser (no electronic nanny's). I'll know within a week if I can lose the VSC and keep everything else.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM

If you find out any info on this subject fasthorse, let me know please. My 4Runner does this to me, even now that it's dry. I'll lose one wheel's traction while making a turn just because the tire will slip on a bit of loose leftover gravel/salt from when it snowed. I will agree it is very obnoxious. VSC is good I would say, but the TRAC system is really what's to blame for scary performance like you and I are experiencing
Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthorse67
I've considered the Andy Mod but I would like to be able to keep the atrac and ABS, just lose the VSC. I'm working on something to do just that. If I can get it to work I will keep the 4runner for ever. If not then it's time to move on. I think I'll look for a '99 Land Cruiser (no electronic nanny's). I'll know within a week if I can lose the VSC and keep everything else.
Post up if you figure something out.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM

I will post when I find something out. One of the companies I work for has a mega dollar diagnostic reader. I (with a lot of help from our programmer) plan to dig into the ecu and figure out what code shuts off the VSC when the center diff. is locked. Then hopefully we can incorporate that into our gauge. Also, I have done extensive research into this. I am 100% positive that it is the VSC that causes everyone grief. Try this next time you're on a slippery serface. Put it in 4 high wth the center diff unlocked. Now slide around a little you'll hear the beep, your brakes will most likely pulse and you'll lose power. Now lock the center diff. the VSC will be lighted on the dash, indicating that it is disabled, and slide around. You will still get the pulsing brakes (atrack) but no beep or loss of power.

Last edited by fasthorse67; 02-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 PM

I havent really had time to look into it, but i know of the 4th gen guys made a switch to make the computer think the center diff is locked when it is most definatly not. All it does it turn on the 4x4 and locked lights on in the dash along with turning off VSC and i really like the way it was done becuase it can be undone on the fly. So if someone would figure that out it would be great.

Edit heres it is
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...&highlight=vsc

Last edited by twitchee2; 02-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by twitchee2
I havent really had time to look into it, but i know of the 4th gen guys made a switch to make the computer think the center diff is locked when it is most definatly not. All it does it turn on the 4x4 and locked lights on in the dash along with turning off VSC and i really like the way it was done becuase it can be undone on the fly. So if someone would figure that out it would be great.

Edit heres it is
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...&highlight=vsc
That's what I'm trying to do. Hopfully we can incorporate it into our plug and play gauge so no wire mods are needed. Just plug into the OBD2 port and turn off the VSC. If not, I'll have a very good condition 4runner for sale.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I simply cut the wire for VSC and put a switch there. It disables ATRAC and ABS too BTW. And to turn it on you have to restart the car.

Works as advertised. lol.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
somebody hook me up with a link or something so i can install a switch to turn off abs and traction control and whatever else is involved with traction
Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sea.Jay
somebody hook me up with a link or something so i can install a switch to turn off abs and traction control and whatever else is involved with traction
Search for "Andymod". You'll find everything you need.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 AM

I believe the AndyMod was as close as they could come to defeating the traction/skid control system. But, as already mentioned, the ABS system is disabled as well when the mod is on. It technically should be possible to defeat just the VSC system, but would probably take a Toyota engineer to figure out the wiring issues. Good luck with this and post up any results you have. Searching the long AndyMod thread would be a good start.

BTW, I've installed the mod and have been pleased with it's performance over the last 2-3 years.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 AM

The owners of the company I work for are electrical engineers for NASA so hopefully we'll be able to figure something out.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fasthorse67
The owners of the company I work for are electrical engineers for NASA so hopefully we'll be able to figure something out.
Sweeeeet. I had the idea of disabling the drive by wire (since the new ECTS-i on 01-02 4Runners implemented DWB for the TRAC/VSC system), but that idea didn't hold too much weight here. I wonder if you could swap in an older TB (sans the kickback and cruise control cables) to have a fully mechanically moving butterfly valve
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing with the TB. But first I want to see if we can somehow turn VSC on and off without also cutting atrack and ABS or having to restart the truck to reactivate it.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 PM

No luck tonight! The scanner we have would not dig deep enough. I'm going to see if I can get ahold of a Toyota scaner. I'm sure there are some Toyota mechanics on here. What can you see/control with the Toyota scanner? We could turn the VSC light on and off with our scanner but we were not actually controlling the system.

Quick Reply: My last straw with VSC!!