Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My complaints on the '03

Old 04-25-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My complaints on the '03

So I have just over 7000 miles on my 4 month old 4-Runner Limited V8, here are my complaints so far:

1.) The sulfur smell. I know this has been covered in detail and there is a sort of "solution." But, it really isn't acceptable. I think I may have gotten a bad batch of gas last fill up, because it actually worse ! The people in the back seat were complaining about it yesterday and a friend who was behind me at a stop light informed me that it's horrible if I gun it, remember he's in another car. I had the A/C on recirculation when my passengers were complaining, the problem went away when I switched the A/C to outside air. I'm going to complain to Toyota, because it's silly that a $39,000 (retail) truck would smell like that.

2.) What the hell good is the compartment located under the A/C controls good for ? I have yet to find anything that will fit in there. It's too deep for small things, yet not big enough for CDs or anything else.

3.) The 12v AC power plug "flip down" cover is poorly though out. Most of my "portable" AC devices have a box attached to the plug, this "flip down" cover doesn't allow a good connection... I hit a bump, the plug comes loose. Like having the 12v though.

4.) The plastic is really soft, my cargo compartment is all scratched to hell and I haven't really put anything heavy or sharp back there... Just luggage,guncases, and a tree. This goes for my door panel too.

5.) The stereo (if you have the JBL 10spkr 6-CD) is of a poor design. I want my money back. This has been covered on Tundra Solutions, but you just cannot hear in the back. It's like it's a 2 speaker system. I know the Seq got a replacement amp, I think we are going to also.

6.) My seat is now squeaking... I am informed that Toyota has a kit to solve this (it's a warranty item.) I called and I actually have to go down to the dealer to order it... I know, this is minor, but they did take 2.5hrs to do a 30min oil change.

7.) Programming your vehicle. Now we have all read in the manual that this and that may be programmed differently... followed by... See you dealer for details. Yea, well... My dealer wants money and I don't want to pay to have the timing on my running board lights changed or my DRL disabled. Either Toyota should explain in the manual, on-line, or for free how to program your car... OR ! and this is a novel idea... They should explain the features and set it up for you when you take delivery.

8.) Not really a complaint, but... I would like to have seen them rig the windows like the HiLux Surf, where you can roll them all down w/ the remote...
I also didn't think it would bother me, but it does, that you cannot roll the rear window up, this would come in handy.

I may have missed something, but overall I am very pleased with the comfort and performance of the 2003... I really like it, but I think the above should be corrected.
Nothings perfect.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:15 AM

Haha, I agree with some of those, but I am not going to attempt to comment on all of them. My wife found a use for the little compartment under the A/C controls. She puts the Fastrak (automatic toll device) and parking permit in there. And I agree it would be neat if you could roll the back window up with the remote, but if you think about it, how often do you roll it down and then walk away? You can roll it up when you get in. Also, a car's auto trunk release doesn't close the trunk, although I'll admit closing a trunk is quicker than using the key in the door. Finally, the stereo is totally unacceptable, glad I have the cheapy one so I don't feel too ripped off when I replace it.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:15 AM

Sounds like typical 1st year kink that I'm sure by next years model they'll have worked out. None of the 4 Runner generations can you put the rear window up by remote. Only by key and dash switch.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:19 AM

The only serious complaint I've had with my Runner is the climate control. On a cold morning when I first start driving I can have it set at 65, but the air coming out will be very warm. If I turn it down on more click, to the lowest setting, it blows cold air. To make matters worse, when using the dual mode, my passenger can have the temp at 78 while I have it at 70 and all will seem fine. But then my passenger can turn their temp down to 70 and my side will blow cool air while theirs still blows hot.

I agree about the softness of the plastic, it scratches way too easy, I can't wait to see what happens to it when I start hauling my mountain bike around.
The 10 speaker JBL is a letdown. Aside from the bad sound, there's no pause or attn. button, you can't change disks while one is playing, and you have to toggle through all the eq settings to turn the surround mode on/off. I don't care that much though because eventually I will replace it with an aftermarket system.
As far as the compartment below the climate control, the only thing I've found it useful for is keeping tissues and napkins in.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:46 AM

I've only had my 03 4Runner V6 for about a month and haven't had time to notice everything you mentioned.

I do agree with what you said about programming certain customizable features on the 4runner. I don't like the idea that you have to pay the dealer to do these. I was wanting to disable the button on my keyless entry that rolls down the back window (I'm always accidentally pushing it) but the dealer wants $$ to do this.

I also agree with the comment about the 10 speaker sound system. I only have the cheapo version of the stereo but have heard the 10 speaker system and wasn't that impressed. Of course, it usually is rare for an auto manufacturer to put a stereo in a vehicle that competes with an aftermarket one.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:15 AM

Thats the problem with these new luxury cars nowadays
Old 04-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

JGage:

Sorry about your problems/complaints

the only complaint I have is it's too friggin low

as for the other issues... ehe i don't mind. it's better than my last car so I can't really complain...

good thing i don't have all that electronic stuff since i got the cheapie version like doublepump!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:42 AM

I agree with all of your complaints. I did, however, find a use for the center console under the dash... ALTOIDS!!!

Anyways, another one of my biggest complaints is the lack of memory seats on my 42K luxury SUV. This is just a joke that Toyota did not include this.

-Ash
Old 04-25-2003, 10:02 AM

Doublepump:
but if you think about it, how often do you roll it down and then walk away?
You would actually be suprised. Target, my supermarket, and another shop are all in the same complex... Not to mention when my GF forces me to go to the outlet mall (outdoor and very spread out.) I/we often roll down the window by remote and drop things in and then walk away, but I have to insert the key and roll the window back up. A minor complaint.

I gotta agree w/ The Silent Man on the CC... Mine behaves in the same manner.

Good Times, don't be... I like the '03 very much, I would buy it again, and I REALLY needed a new auto. Man it's fast too.

Ashburner, Altoids !!! Brilliant ! I've been keeping mine in the center. Damn ! I thought the memory seats were pretty trivial until my settings got messed up.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:20 AM

I hate the fact that there aren't any aftermarket goodies to add onto our Runners !

Whoops, wrong thread...

Old 04-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JGage
Passenger and Driver window tint mod
whats this?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
whats this?
That's where you use a triple layer of 5% tint all the way around so that you only have a 0.0125% of the total light transmitting through it. jk

I assume it means just tint it how you want it. For me that's 5% limo all the way around and driving like a grandpa which also helps gas milage....lol

Steve
Old 04-25-2003, 02:28 PM

i agree with everything you say except I dont have a bad sulfur smell like you describe once in awhile it might smell alittle but not all the time. I use that little compartment to hold my spare garage door key so i dont have to turn the car off to unlock it. I rent the garage so im not putting an opener on it.

But i love it and its little impefections, i wouldnt trade it for anything.

CHris
Old 04-25-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
whats this?
I got my windows tinted... It's meant to be a bad joke.

BTW: Anyone who tells you the rear windows/factory tint is 15% is wrong. My fronts are 15% and they are darker than the rest of the windows.
I don't do limo for a few reasons.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:54 PM

hiccups along the way or simply cutting cost

I agree with you on all the problems, and I think they will eventually get it right, it's a great vehicle.Just step on the gas pedal and tell me otherwise. With all the competition around and the price tag so reasonable, I think I can allow for some of these hiccups. If I had to write up a list for my previous Explorer and Blazer, I think we need a new forum.
I still love my 4 runner!!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Re: My complaints on the '03

So I have just over 7000 miles on my 4 month old 4-Runner Limited V8, here are my complaints so far:
2.) What the hell good is the compartment located under the A/C controls good for ? I have yet to find anything that will fit in there. It's too deep for small things, yet not big enough for CDs or anything else.

6.) My seat is now squeaking...

7.) My dealer wants money and I don't want to pay to have the timing on my running board lights changed or my DRL disabled.

8.) Not really a complaint, but... I would like to have seen them rig the windows like the HiLux Surf, where you can roll them all down w/ the remote...

I may have missed something, but overall I am very pleased with the comfort and performance of the 2003... I really like it, but I think the above should be corrected.
Nothings perfect.
Well I've had my 03 Surf almost three months now and I think I can comment. I have a question for you guys about the DRL. On my Surf, I have an "automatic" setting for the headlights/fog lights. They come on at dusk or when I go thru tunnels and automatically go on and off. At night, when I turn the ignition off, the headlights stay on until I open the door. I guess none of that is DRL?? But I REALLY like the way they function and even my wife said COOL.

It is pretty cool to put the windows all down with the key BUT, the moon roof opens as well and closes alot more slower than the other windows. Gotta make sure to check if it's closed.

I have power side mirrors that only fold in if I push a button. Most luxury vehicles here have mirrors that retract/detract automatically when you turn on/off the ignition and if I forget to retract them at work, birds perch

I have a pen and every now and then throw in my toll card if I take it out of the electronic toll device. Not much else fits...

No cat converters here so no smell for me. Just leather

No squeaky seats either. And I think the only time I ever put the back window down was to see if it worked.

And I would definately but another one!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:35 AM

Re: My complaints on the '03

My seat is now squeaking... I am informed that Toyota has a kit to solve this (it's a warranty item.) I called and I actually have to go down to the dealer to order it... I know, this is minor, but they did take 2.5hrs to do a 30min oil change.
Tell me more about this kit -- my right rear seat either squeaks or has a knocking noise. I'm expecting to have to take it in soon for the first service, and I'd like to get this taken care of at the same time.

Also, the sunroof shade sometimes rattles. Right side track appears to be a bit loose. Anyone else with the same?

Overall, I really like the vehicle, though. Beats the F150 and Concorde we got rid of to pay for this one.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:22 AM

Re: Re: My complaints on the '03

Originally posted by Woodbert
Well I've had my 03 Surf almost three months now and I think I can comment. I have a question for you guys about the DRL. On my Surf, I have an "automatic" setting for the headlights/fog lights. They come on at dusk or when I go thru tunnels and automatically go on and off. At night, when I turn the ignition off, the headlights stay on until I open the door. I guess none of that is DRL?? But I REALLY like the way they function and even my wife said COOL.
That would be cool if we had lights like those.
DRLs (daytime running lights) are lights that are ALWAYS on (unless the truck is turned off).
What really sucks about them is most vehicles use the headlights for DRLs, so if you're in foggy conditions, your view is limited (light refraction stuff), and if you're in a vehicle going towards another with DRLs, they can sometimes be blinding.
I like the idea of them, I just wish they were amber lights pointed in the correct direction.
Todd
Old 04-28-2003, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by jharris2
Also, the sunroof shade sometimes rattles. Right side track appears to be a bit loose. Anyone else with the same?
I've also experienced the rattles with the shade open (roof closed). Maybe not enough support in the track while the shade is in the back position.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by absolutvt2
I've also experienced the rattles with the shade open (roof closed). Maybe not enough support in the track while the shade is in the back position.
Mine makes the noise when the roof is open. Appears that the wind causes the shade to move, and that the track either doesn't have the proper support or the right track is slightly too large for the shade on that side. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My complaints on the '03