Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My check engine light came on in my . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My check engine light came on in my . . .

04 Tundra/4.7 last night, brought it to the dealer and they said it was a fuel filler neck part, they said the part should be in in a couple of days and that the part goes bad in some trucks, of course he wasn't going to tell me that it happens to every truck. My question is this, has anyone had a problem with a fuel filler neck part in any truck?

My truck has 20,400 miles on it, almost a year old, I almost crapped my Wet Okole's when the light came on, I checked my guages, all was good, then I pulled over and shut her off to see if the light would go out, my old man said it might go out overnight but it didn't, anyhow, the light is off now, they must have reset it, and they will call me in a few to get me in to replace the part.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ben03
04 Tundra/4.7 last night, brought it to the dealer and they said it was a fuel filler neck part, they said the part should be in in a couple of days and that the part goes bad in some trucks, of course he wasn't going to tell me that it happens to every truck. My question is this, has anyone had a problem with a fuel filler neck part in any truck?

My truck has 20,400 miles on it, almost a year old, I almost crapped my Wet Okole's when the light came on, I checked my guages, all was good, then I pulled over and shut her off to see if the light would go out, my old man said it might go out overnight but it didn't, anyhow, the light is off now, they must have reset it, and they will call me in a few to get me in to replace the part.
Not on trucks, but I do know the Matrix's and Corolla's have had this problem, same as the Pontiac Vibe....

Keep track of this because if you still have problems and you will know it if you go to refuel, you will have problems becuase the pump will click off like the vehicle is full, but it isn't. If you have this problem, they will prob need to replace the EVAP Canistor, Charcoal Canistor (might be the same as the EVAP) and a vent....

Good luck.... It has been a more common thing with all the new emission standards from what I have read.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:56 AM

I wonder, if/when they replace the part, will it go bad again, I'd hate to be off warranty and have to bring in/pay for this every time it happens, I thought Toyota would not allow something like this to happen, anyway, I hope once they replace the part it is good forever.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:06 AM

I have three good friens who own various years of the tundra... alll with 50k+ miles and have never heard of them having this problem. Next time if you get a chance, run to a local autoparts store and see if they will read the CEL code for you thatll help isolate what the problem is
Old 11-17-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ben03
I wonder, if/when they replace the part, will it go bad again, I'd hate to be off warranty and have to bring in/pay for this every time it happens, I thought Toyota would not allow something like this to happen, anyway, I hope once they replace the part it is good forever.
If the same part or problem keeps on happening, I am sure they will stand behind it....

Do not worry, it is a pretty easy fix.. You are lucky they found out what the problem was... I have read where one guy's Matrix was in the shop 4 times before they located it was the filler neck.. But he was having problems with refueling... Just keep an eye out...

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the replies, the service guy said I shouldn't worry, the light is off for now anyway. I'll wait until they call and install the new part, whatever it is and hope for the best, other than that, the truck has been awesome, just wish I waited for this years 05 with 40+ more Horsepower but I really want the next generation Tundra, I will sell or trade the one I have and get the new one, hopefully more power with better gas mileage even though 15.5-17.2/3 ain't too bad for mixed driving. Thanks again guys.