Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Muffler Question (I already searched too)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Muffler Question (I already searched too)

What's up fellas,
Hey I was looking into replacing my muffler on my '99 4runner for a less restrictive one. I was thinking either the Borla or a Flowmaster 60 series. I am looking for one that's not going to be much louder, but simply be a little less restrictive. Any comments or part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys. Take it easy..... -Keven

BTW: My rig's a stock (for now) '99 4Runner Limited w rear differential lock (just got it 4 days ago!!! and I it's 1000x better than my Jeep I replaced it with!) To see some pics go here: http://community.webshots.com/user/fastslate59
Old 04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
both of those should work great, but whats your budget, because if you have the money i would go with a full cat back, just my opinion Heres a link for a couple of cat-back's

Last edited by superjoe83; 04-09-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member

I think I may be the only one here with the Flowmaster 60 series (most people get the 50 series). I wanted a muffler that wouldn't drone on the freeway, but I could hear it if I punched it. I found the perfect muffler for my wants. I can hear it in the city, but on the freeway, its like my exhaust is stock (very nice for long road trips).

Another thing about the 60 series that I like is that it was designed for 4 and 6 cyl engines. So it cuts out the high RPM raspy (honda-sounding) exhaust sound and I only hear a low roar.

Go for the Flowmaster!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:42 AM

Muffler?

No muffler at all.Supertrapp it. Just a straight pipe from the cat(s) to the Supertrapp.

I have the SC Standard Series (Carbon Steel) 449-2518 on the Coma and a SC Elite Series (Stainless Steel) 443-2517 for the Runna. Check out page 3 of this PDF. 100% tunable for performance or sound.

NO! I'm not a slaesman for Supertrapp or nothing. It's just that I tried many different exhaust set ups (wasted alot of $$$) before finally trying the Trapp. All the set ups gained something on either the low end or the top end but always at the cost of robbing the other end or the rpm band. I used to wheel just about every weekend so I needed the low end for that and the high end for runnin' round town. I just couldn't find a happy medium. With the Trapp, I just add discs for streetin' and remove some for wheelin'. Puts my power and throttle response right where I need it.

Anyways, Just my opinion...

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Happy Moddin!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by SandSman783
What's up fellas,
Hey I was looking into replacing my muffler on my '99 4runner for a less restrictive one. I was thinking either the Borla or a Flowmaster 60 series. I am looking for one that's not going to be much louder, but simply be a little less restrictive. Any comments or part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys. Take it easy..... -Keven

BTW: My rig's a stock (for now) '99 4Runner Limited w rear differential lock (just got it 4 days ago!!! and I it's 1000x better than my Jeep I replaced it with!) To see some pics go here: http://community.webshots.com/user/fastslate59
Hey man WELCOME to our side. Just saying hey Kev. Still would go with the magnaflow. Just for price. Mail me later man! 3.4 swap on my 90 is coming, rust proofing frame right now, more money less time.......everyone check out my posts on off-road.com about the 3.4 swap.

Last edited by bh4runner; 04-09-2004 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the quick responses fellas. I didn't realize thatthe jardine cat-back was so reasonably priced. What's the big difference between the jardine and the borla cat-back?

Originally Posted by bh4runner
Hey man WELCOME to our side. Just saying hey Kev. Still would go with the magnaflow. Just for price. Mail me later man! 3.4 swap on my 90 is coming, rust proofing frame right now, more money less time.......everyone check out my posts on off-road.com about the 3.4 swap.
Hey man,
Yea the magnaflow is def still an option, but i was trying to order it from summit racing, and they don't carry them (was gonna make a pretty big order to save on shipping). I'll be down in a couple days to give ya hand with your truck and give ya a refernce for what your's should look like! I already got a lot of stuff on it's way too, so we definitely have our work cut out for us! Hey i got clear side markers put in today too, they look real nice, will take some pictures this afternoon and get them on webshots. Talk to ya soon dude....
Old 04-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SandSman783
Thanks for the quick responses fellas. I didn't realize thatthe jardine cat-back was so reasonably priced. What's the big difference between the jardine and the borla cat-back?
The main difference is that the Borla system is made out of stainless steel, which will outlast your truck, and the Jardine is made out of aliminized steel, which should last more than 100,000 miles, i just got the Jardine system and like the quality and fit, also you are paying a little bit more for the Borla name.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:49 PM

could someone post a vid or something of what their flowmaster 60 series sounds like?

the muffler I have on right now is waaaay tooo loud, and I'm thinking about going back to oem if the 60 series isn't quiet enough... hopefully it is cause I'm used to a free flowing muffler
Old 04-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

I was looking at the Jardine...anyone have any sound files on it with the 3.4 V6? Do you see any real performance difference? Was it easy to bolt on?
Would you recommend replacing the Cat with a higher-flow version?

Thanks for the good info.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DavidA
I was looking at the Jardine...anyone have any sound files on it with the 3.4 V6? Do you see any real performance difference? Was it easy to bolt on?
Would you recommend replacing the Cat with a higher-flow version?

Thanks for the good info.
After i put on the Jardine system i noticed that it pulled harder from about 2500 to 5000, i like the sound, its pretty mellow, not ricey at all, the 2.7 has a deep exhaust tone anyway for a 4cyl. i would just go with the exhaust right now and wait for the cat, the stock ones flow pretty good anyway. Because of the better engine/fuel management in todays cars the cats dont have to "clean up" the exhaust gas as much as older cars, so they dont have to be as restrictive.