Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Moving spare tire to roof...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving spare tire to roof...

So I have had my Yakima Basket rack for a few months now...and to be brutally honest, it looks boring with nothing on it

I am pretty sure I would like to move my spare tire (located under the runner in the rear) to the roof. I am curious as to how this is done. I have been warned of the risks involved because it (dramatically?) changes your center of gravity. However, I do not do anything serious enough to tip my runner over

Just wondering how would you "strap" the spare onto the basket rack?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

i think you can buy mounts that are specifically made to hold your spare. i had mine up top for a bit and didnt buy one, but rather just got some straps that are made to hold down things in your truck bed and tied it down with those. also, i used a cable with a lock on it too. definitely ghetto, but, it did the job
Old 01-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

buy the yakima attachment for the loadwarrior.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:26 PM

would it work for all Yakima Basket racks...or just the specific loadwarrior rack?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Buy Yakima Loadwarrior Spare Tire Holder 7076, as suggested above. Here it is:

It retails for $75 and is quick release, pad-lockable, holds up to a 35" Tire and available from cheaphondaparts.com for $60.

Last edited by SkyRat; 01-02-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Story,

You sure you wanna do that? I recall seeing a video a while back where this guy w/ a Jeep Cherokee flips over and the tire entirely mashes down the roof into the cabin b/c of the flimsiness of the cabin roof metal. You figure that the weight of your bars can hold less than 200lbs (I believe its 150lbs to be precise) and w/ even a simple roll over, it'll cave in the roof too.

Bob
Old 01-02-2004, 04:05 PM

yeah, he can always take it down off the roof when offroading, wich isn't very much for him. i think he's mostly doing it for looks, and wouldn't the canopy for a 1st gen 4Runner get crushed in anyways if it rolled? i know it has the roll bar, but i don't think that would stop the roof from crushing. i say if you really care about your spare then get a load warrior lock thing. if your not sure if it will fit cause its an older rack, then just go to REI or somewere that sells them and look at it. have fun Rickey, see ya on the 10th hopefully!
Old 01-02-2004, 04:14 PM

Kevy,

As far as I can tell in that tiny little avatar pic, his roof rack is right over his head. In a roll over, that tire would come crushing through, squashing poor Story's head. Not a good thing.

In a roll over (and now I have first hand knowledge from the accident a few days ago), the pillars absorbed most of the damage, If there was a tire on top, the tire would most likely be forced through the roof and cave it in.

Anyways, just something to think about. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Bob
Old 01-02-2004, 06:28 PM

Well' I going to do the same thing. Put a spare on my roof rack and the second spare on my rear carrier. Forget about the roof crashing in. I'm conserned about getting into an accident and the tire flying into somebody and hearting them. You know if it detatched from your vehicle and hits someone your insurance will not cover that damage. Now if you have a cable attatching the tire to your vehicle and it hearts someone the vehicles insurance will then cover the damage. This is just like towing a trailer. If the trailer totaly detatches from the vehicle, the insurance does not cover the accident. But if it's held on by a chain when the accedent occurs then it's covered by the vehicles insurance. Now i'm not an insurance expert but this is what I was told. What do you think about this? What ever you do, wether it's for looks or off road. Do it safe! Mount it solid.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:51 PM

Gravity schmavity!

Your nowhere as tall as I am. Sitting on seven inches of lift that sits on thirtyfive inches of tire my ConFerr roof rack holds my full size 35X12.5 & a highlift jack. Hasnt rolled yet and ive gotten myself into some stupid angles before. Its funny to hear some people all scared saying "you gonna roll it your gonna roll it I just know it". What do they know? Maybe they have rolled but just dont do 70 MPH around street corners and you wont.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Gravity schmavity!

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
just dont do 70 MPH around street corners and you wont.

Damn it .. someone else telling me to slow down.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:57 PM

I agree with bigbadblue. Do what you want. Just put another roof on if you ever roll it. What's the big deal?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:58 PM

I suppose the :pig: eez told you last night to slow down with a ticket. JK I love driving fast!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Fever
I agree with bigbadblue. Do what you want. Just put another roof on if you ever roll it. What's the big deal?
Being he has nothing on his roof I take it he's one of those "oh becareful you might roll it" people. Just my take on it.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:08 PM

BBB, et al:

Whose talking about high speed rollovers and going around corners like a bat out of hell? Not me! You can roll your vehicle at just about any speed---sometimes not at your own doing. Surely you guys have seen in person or on video of rock crawlers rolling over at low speeds going up hills, right? You know, i wish i could find that video so y'all can see exactly what i'm talking about.

Again my point is if you do roll it over, the tire caving in the roof has a high likelihood of happening and if so, it will come crushing through the roof and onto his head since his racks are above the front cabin area. And yes, if you ask me, that IS a big deal, esp if its your head.

Bob
Old 01-02-2004, 07:12 PM

I hate to say this but as soon as I get my gears changed and my 35x12.5s on I'm putting a massive 35x12.5 on my roof but I'm gona tear my headliner down and put an extreem mount up there. Overkill? Yepp. When I roll mine I want that baby coming in not flying off. Hey maybe it will help it roll completely over. Ok Enough for the night. I's been fun. Later dudes!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Fever
I hate to say this but as soon as I get my gears changed and my 35x12.5s on I'm putting a massive 35x12.5 on my roof but I'm gona tear my headliner down and put an extreem mount up there. Overkill? Yepp. When I roll mine I want that baby coming in not flying off. Hey maybe it will help it roll completely over. Ok Enough for the night. I's been fun. Later dudes!
HUH?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:21 PM

Bobby you got a point with his roofrack being directly over his head. I just get the kick of a lifetime out of those that are so sure 4Runners roll when nearly standing still. I have had mine at some extreme angles and have not rolled it. You just have to have the right circumstances such as a large sidewind at the right time or speed. Or an idiot driver doing "70" around a corner. I didnt say anyone inparticular said anything about 70 either. I guess I am the only one out there that see's difficulty in rolling over a rig when you know how to drive and/or correct a bad situation being an angle or whatever. Oh well. Blue
Old 01-02-2004, 08:34 PM

BBB,

Yeah, I hear ya about rolling. It takes some extreme angles, careless driving, or some idiot behind you clipping you juuust right to flip you.

Anyways, i believe Story has some good feedback here to help him make his decision. Right, Story?

Bob
Old 01-02-2004, 09:00 PM

Re: Gravity schmavity!

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
Your nowhere as tall as I am. Sitting on seven inches of lift that sits on thirtyfive inches of tire my ConFerr roof rack holds my full size 35X12.5 & a highlift jack. Hasnt rolled yet and ive gotten myself into some stupid angles before. Its funny to hear some people all scared saying "you gonna roll it your gonna roll it I just know it". What do they know? Maybe they have rolled but just dont do 70 MPH around street corners and you wont.
I have right at 10'' of suspension lift and know that you must be out at the local schoolyard with that runner if you haven't been close to rolling it, I rolled mine way back when I had a 3" body lift at about 2 mph. Anyway go out and do some "real wheeling" before you "try" to -- make fun-- of someone that's actually worried about a roll-over.

Quick Reply: Moving spare tire to roof...