Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Motor oil suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor oil suggestions

I'm doing a oil change on my 3.0 4runner next week. Are there any suggestions on what type or name brand of oil i should get? I already know that i have to use 10w30 oil.

After the past 4-5 oil changes i have done so far, i have only used synthetic blend or full synthetic oil; is this a good thing to do on a old engine?(166k)

I also used a k and n oil filter twice, there was no change in performance whatsoever. What a waste of money
Old 06-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY general rule of thumb is to keep using whatever oil the vehicle is used to... My truck when I bought it had valvoline 10-40... I'm now running valv. 10-30 full synthetic in it (230k) and no problems... Also my experience and opinion (take it as just that) is don't run pennzoil... I've tore down 3 motors that have had pennzoil most thier life, and they didn't look all that good (were varnished real bad)....

I know on the 22RE you have to be REAL careful about your oil filter choice, and make sure the anti-drain back valve is quality. I've ran several filters that would lose their oil due to faulty drain back valves, and have found wix filters to solve that problem... Another buddy notices the same, and uses napa filters without a valve problem. I don't know if the 3VZE's are as picky, but ask around.

Hope that helps....
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think someone here had a link about all oil filters having the anti-drainback valves no matter what brand. As far as oil goes it really does not matter as long as it has the API seal you should be fine synthetic or not. If you don't mind changing your oil then the cheap stuff is good, if you hate changing you oil then run synthetic and change the filter half-way in between.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Mike, I've noticed that most filters have the anti-drain back valve, but I've pulled off a few before after letting the truck sit, and they were empty....

Also good point with the synthetic, run it longer and change the filter halfway inbetween. I do this on my truck, and have done it on all my old hotrods.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could try synthetic, if it starts leaking, just switch back to dino oil. synthetic won't cause leaks, but its better cleaning properties will find ones that you already have but are gummed up.

i run amsoil 10w40 and it's great stuff
Old 06-14-2005, 08:02 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by fo_runner
...After the past 4-5 oil changes i have done so far, i have only used synthetic blend or full synthetic oil; is this a good thing to do on a old engine?(166k)

I also used a k and n oil filter twice, there was no change in performance whatsoever. What a waste of money
I used 10W40 in my '90 3.0 all the time, but it was garage kept. I personally think 10W30 is a bit thin for the 3.0L. Since you already have been running synthetic and didn't mention anything about leaks, then it shouldn't be a problem. Synthetics tend to dissolve sludge that typically become part of the sealing system in older engines.

What change in performance were you expecting from a K&N oil filter? Unless you're having a lab do an oil analysis and comparing oil filtered by a K&N and oil filtered by some other filter, you'll NEVER notice a blessed thing!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Mike, I've noticed that most filters have the anti-drain back valve, but I've pulled off a few before after letting the truck sit, and they were empty....

Also good point with the synthetic, run it longer and change the filter halfway inbetween. I do this on my truck, and have done it on all my old hotrods.
Any brands specifically? I just want to stay away from some of them if so. I am now using the napa gold filter since I've heard good stuff about it. I used to run Fram and apparently it's not a good filter but it had an ant-drainback valve so it was fine for me.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:33 AM

i like mobil 1 high mileage synthetic blend.

i use toyota filters (which i'm sure are just some other filter re-branded, but they don't cost that much more, they work well, and buying them gives me an excuse to go shoot the shiznit with techs at my local dealership).
Old 06-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

We'll personally, I've had bad luck with the fram filters, and the parts america or whatever it is filters. The napa filters is all my buddy trusts, and I use wix filters.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Okay, so sythetic oil is a good thing, how about oil-additives; are they good or bad for the 3.0?

I've been using fram oil filters the most, I have no problem with them. I mostly liked the synthetic oil filter; it keeped the oil pretty clean and no leaks.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, so sythetic oil is a good thing, how about oil-additives; are they good or bad for the 3.0?

I've been using fram oil filters the most, I have no problem with them. I mostly liked the synthetic oil filter; it keeped the oil pretty clean and no leaks.
i would avoid additives, most are gimmicks anyway...not all i guess but alot are and serve no real purpose...

i've heard and read about problems with fram. I havent experienced any though when I was using them a few years ago. One thing I do know is the Puralator Pureone does a better job filtering oil then the Fram does. So thats a plus.

HTH
Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't ever put that junk in your oil. the brands work hard for their API rating, they're fine as is.

the only filters i use any more are wix brand. this includes carquest, napa gold etc. i use a 1515 filter, which is basically a motorcraft FL1A used on fords. it fits fine on a toyota but has 2-3x as much capacity as a regular filter.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, so sythetic oil is a good thing, how about oil-additives; are they good or bad for the 3.0?.
Synthetics are great, don't add additives though.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

check out these recent threads!!!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...0524&highlight

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...8965&highlight

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...0265&highlight
Old 06-14-2005, 06:47 PM

So your'e saying "NO" to oil additives and fram filters, and "YES" to other oil filters besides fram, and plain synthetic without additives?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Did you read any of those threads? They will answer your questions regarding oil and additives. And yes, Fram filters are pure junk.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

No to fram filters, yes to synthetic, no to additives.... thats my take. (use wix filters)
Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 PM

I've been using Engine Restore. Made it run a little smoother.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:08 PM

I think that there are overall only three types of oil no matter what the brand; synthetic, mineral, and pennsoil. Synthetic lasts longer and cleans; however if your engine is gummed up and the gunk is sealing parts it may remove the deposits and start leaking, I had this happen on my Prelude. Mineral oil doesn't last as long, but IMO protects just as well and may make your engine run slightly more sluggishly and I mean slightly. Pennsoil, from everything I have heard had a wax additive, which many people don't like. My dad has 2 F250 Superduties that he only ran Pennsoil in and they are at 190K, 260K. Overall IMO if you change your oil on time every time, any well known brand will be fine.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 PM

Quick Reply: Motor oil suggestions