Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

metallic flakes in oil!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metallic flakes in oil!

I changed the oil again today in my 03' 4Runner and noticed a few small metallic flakes stuck to the drain plug. I've got almost 17K miles on her now and I haven't seen any flakes since the 2nd oil change. This is the 5th time I've changed the oil and I've been using M1 5W30 for the last 12K miles. As an experiment I grabbed a magnet and stuck it down in the old oil and found some very tiny debris (metallic dust)... I'm assuming the motor is still breaking in and this is normal but it has me scratching my head... I wish I would've had it analyzed.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:44 PM

I just changed mine for the first time (3k miles) tonight and didn't notice anything on the drain plug at all. Is the drain plug magnetic? It just looked like a plain old bolt (the gasket was stuck to it pretty good though).

My GMC has a little magnetic nub on the end of the drain plug. I change the oil in it every 2K miles and there's always a bit of black paste (very fine metal shavings) on the drain plug. In fact, every vehicle I've ever owned with a magnetic plug has had the same thing, so I'd be inclined to say yours is normal.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by EricM
I just changed mine for the first time (3k miles) tonight and didn't notice anything on the drain plug at all. Is the drain plug magnetic? It just looked like a plain old bolt (the gasket was stuck to it pretty good though).

My GMC has a little magnetic nub on the end of the drain plug. I change the oil in it every 2K miles and there's always a bit of black paste (very fine metal shavings) on the drain plug. In fact, every vehicle I've ever owned with a magnetic plug has had the same thing, so I'd be inclined to say yours is normal.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't verified that the plug is magnetic. But there were definately some flakes on it leading me to believe that it's either magnetic or that it's peeling/flaking apart (possibly).. I'm not too concerned but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same.. That paste you described is exactly what I was talking about...

Thanks,

Justin
Old 11-11-2003, 08:40 PM

I'm pretty sure they are magnetic.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:17 PM

I've seen some strap on magnetic bands that go around the oil filter. They are powerful magnets and are supposed to trap and metallic particles. Can't comment on the effectivity though.... But is sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:46 PM

Alan (HaveBlue) told me that he used a strainer to catch a few metal shards when he was changing his oil, so it sounds like it may be normal wear and tear. he said that once he changed to synthetic, the shards disappeared.

sounds like pretty convincing testimony to me . . .

creed
Old 11-12-2003, 12:47 AM

Ummm,... metal flakes in your oil and you only have 17K on the truck? I had no idea that during normal wear and tear ther would be metal shavings,... I'd keep scratching your head bro,... I would take it to the dealer and put up a stink about it just so they have it on record that you did bring it to their attention this early in the trucks life so that just in case it was somthing bad they would know that there was somthing wrong from the start.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by cstary
Alan (HaveBlue) told me that he used a strainer to catch a few metal shards when he was changing his oil, so it sounds like it may be normal wear and tear. he said that once he changed to synthetic, the shards disappeared.

sounds like pretty convincing testimony to me . . .

creed
What's up Creed! I think it's normal but I've been using synthetic for a while now... Although, I don't think it's a problem I plan to keep a close eye on it.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by overKILL
Ummm,... metal flakes in your oil and you only have 17K on the truck? I had no idea that during normal wear and tear ther would be metal shavings,... I'd keep scratching your head bro,... I would take it to the dealer and put up a stink about it just so they have it on record that you did bring it to their attention this early in the trucks life so that just in case it was somthing bad they would know that there was somthing wrong from the start.

I never said they were shavings... They are very tiny flakes... This is very common on new motors.

Do you really think that your motor doesn't have any metallic particles floating around? I challenge you to find out by using a strong magnet on your next oil change. I think you will be surprised...

Wait until you change your rear diff fluid the first time.. You're going to freak out when you see that huge chunk of metal shard stuck to your drain plug..
Old 11-12-2003, 06:09 AM

First,... I chamged my rear diff oil already and it was clean,... no chunks. Secondly,... you said flakes,... the first thing that came to mind is large pieces or shaving,... I have found metal in my eninge oil and in my tranny oil,... they were very tiny,... more like metal particals rather than flakes. No need to challenge me bro,...
Old 11-12-2003, 06:42 AM
uwf

Hello,

I have seen oil that was indicating bad stuff in the motor. From your description, it sounds like that is just break-in debris. I don't know what you use to catch the oil in, but if you saw silver trails in your oil, then I would worry. Some of that paste probably was assembly lube as well.

Would you say that the last 17k miles were easy or hard miles? If they were easy, then your motor might not have knocked loose some of that break-in debris.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you constitently see silver trails in your oil then worry cuz that is probably bad seals.

Anyway, later!

Joseph

Last edited by uwf; 11-12-2003 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

No need to challenge me bro,...
Must be a full moon? LOL
Old 11-12-2003, 10:34 AM

First,... I chamged my rear diff oil already and it was clean,... no chunks. Secondly,... you said flakes,... the first thing that came to mind is large pieces or shaving,... I have found metal in my eninge oil and in my tranny oil,... they were very tiny,... more like metal particals rather than flakes. No need to challenge me bro,...
Challenging you? How? Are we insecure about something? You interpreted that I had large chunks or shavings of metal in my oil when in fact they were very small flakes... I was correcting you if anything... Relax..

Secondly, you're one of the few people that haven't had a shard or two in their diff...
Old 11-12-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by uwf
Hello,

I have seen oil that was indicating bad stuff in the motor. From your description, it sounds like that is just break-in debris. I don't know what you use to catch the oil in, but if you saw silver trails in your oil, then I would worry. Some of that paste probably was assembly lube as well.

Would you say that the last 17k miles were easy or hard miles? If they were easy, then your motor might not have knocked loose some of that break-in debris.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you constitently see silver trails in your oil then worry cuz that is probably bad seals.

Anyway, later!

Joseph
Good point.. I would say the miles have been very easy.. 80% highway miles with very little stop and go... I just took a trip to Fl and I was getting into her hard several times during the trip from VA.. Perhaps I knocked the remaining 'burrs' out of the motor...
Old 11-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Last time I checked, aluminum wont stick to a magnet. Will Iron?
I assume the ring lands are made of steel, but how would the "bits" get past the seal? They would get burned up.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 11-12-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Last time I checked, aluminum wont stick to a magnet. Will Iron?
I assume the ring lands are made of steel, but how would the "bits" get past the seal? They would get burned up.
Not all parts in the motor are aluminum. In fact the 4.7 is a cast iron block unlike the 3.4.. My guess is that the tiny flakes are from the machining burrs... I've driven my truck harder then normal for the last couple of thousand miles. Perhaps this is why I'm getting them.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, the 3.4 is an iron block.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:01 PM

Yes, Iron will stick to a magnet. I seriously doubt that Iron will burn up in a motor. It might form into a dust like paste but it's not going to burn up...
Old 11-12-2003, 05:56 PM
uwf

Dude,

If you said that the last couple of thousands you were getting into her, then you probably completely seated the rings. I thought that 4.7L was all aluminum? I am pretty sure of that.

Later,
Joseph
Old 11-12-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Actually, the 3.4 is an iron block.
Really? I can't believe I didn't know that. I always that the block was aluminum... DOH! Thanks for the correction.

Justin

Quick Reply: metallic flakes in oil!