Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Tranny?

I remember seeing a thread about this a long time ago, but does anyone know what year Toyota stopped putting manual trannies in the 4Runner? Why the h*ll would they do that. Manual is more fun to drive, cheaper to repair and last longer. How many of you drive a manual trans toy?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:04 AM

I believe '00 was the last year for 5speeds. They only came on the Base and SR5 models. If you wanted the Limited it was with auto only.

Now naturally it would create difficulties for a soccer mom (any other child sport could be added as well) to shift a 5speed, drive (or something close to it), juggle a starbucks, apply make-up/fix hair, dig through purse for correct color lipstick/rouge, use cell phone to make that oh so important lunch/spa date with the other soccer moms that she just saw 5 minutes ago, put in a new DVD on the portable player to keep the kids occupied, make sure they are in their seats with seatbelts fastened, while driving 75 in a 45 & making right turns from the left lane. Did I leave anyting out????

I have a '96 SR5 4x4 loaded with a 5speed and wouldn't trade it for anyother vehicle.

Best of Luck finding one (mines from Alaska)

Andrew

Last edited by WatsonMD; 12-11-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 AM

Model year 2000 had the last manual trannys. Speculate as to why yourself, but I feel that since the 4Runner is no longer a solid off roader and more suited to taking speed bumps at the mall, then an automatic naturally follows. ssshhhh.....they're built for women...
Old 12-11-2003, 08:09 AM
CTB

Hey fellas,

Not to ruffle any feathers, but could we keep the soccer mom bashing to a minimum. Unlike most, my mother really is a soccer mom - she has spent the last 12 years of her life driving my brother and I all over the city, state, and region for soccer tournaments, games, and so on. Just for information, she used to drive a Dodge Caravan, and just very recently upgraded to a Honda Pilot...she has never owned or wanted a huge SUV.

And no, she doesn't drink coffee, talk on her cell phone, put on make-up, and watch DVD's at the same time! She can drive a 5-speed just fine!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Interestingly enough, Tacos still come in both flavors, except for the double cab 4 door, which only comes in auto. Perhaps only soccer moms are supposed to drive double cab Tacos.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Perhaps it's a cost thing.

When people see that my 2000 that listed for a great deal of money has a manual, they shudder.

It's hard for them to believe anyone would spend that much money for a car with a manual transmission.

So, perhaps the people that can afford a brand new 4Runner, demographically, aren't going to be wanting a manual.

Who knows. It's a dissapointment to me that the last year 4Runner I'll ever be able to own is a 2000.

No automatics for me.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:30 AM
ed2

As has been stated the 2000 4Runner was the last year for the manual shifters. Toyota said the buyer market dropped below 10% for manuals so they discontinued them in the states. I found my SR5 Highlander after a 4 month search thru Autotrader.com, they're out there and worth looking for.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:34 AM

Points taken. As for myself, I grew up on manual transmissions. I remember as far back as sitting on my dad's lap at the tender age of 9 or so, workin the column shifter. Now that was interesting...sideways H pattern. Next car was a '65 mustang with 3 on the floor. Naturally I will never trade down for an auto. Too bad toyo stopped making them after 2K, guess people are getting to lazy...even for driving. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

At least in the Denver area I see quite a few 5 speeds for sale on autotrader.com.

I had to have a manual but if it was an auto i wouldn't mind the multi mode versions from the '99-'00 models;my mom has a '99 Limited and the AWD mode is nice in slick conditions.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: Manual Tranny?

Originally posted by Denk
I remember seeing a thread about this a long time ago, but does anyone know what year Toyota stopped putting manual trannies in the 4Runner? Why the h*ll would they do that. Manual is more fun to drive, cheaper to repair and last longer. How many of you drive a manual trans toy?
Manuals no longer last longer in general to autos. They are no longer cheaper to repair. How many shops do you know that can overhaul one? There are lots of shops that can repair and overhaul an auto these days. Working on manuals is a lost art.

In many trucks these days, the auto will usually have a higher towing capacity.

I have two 4Runners, one with a manual and one with an auto. I love the both, but if I had to get another one right now I would go auto. There is nothing like the feel of a tweaked auto chriping gears behind you...

Now here is another thing that is bound to get folks fired up. An auto IS BETTER OFF ROAD then a MANUAL! In the group I wheel with mostly Tacos with manuals, my auto easily walks over stuff that they stall on and I don't loose traction as much as they do and I can climb hills better as well as anything else. The manuals are better for going down a steep slippery hill, but that is all.

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com
Old 12-11-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i will never, ever, ever own an auto. it's not a truck to me unless it's available in a stick. unfortunately, it'll probably be something that my kids won't be able to learn since they probably won't have anything made with a stick tranny any more that far in the future i'm alright with driving stuff older than me, i've owned 3 trucks and none were younger than me

or i could always move to somewhere they still sell the manual, solid axle, bare bones landcruiser

and the idea of an auto being better offroad is just an opinion, much like me liking sticks. to me, it's all about the driver skill and preference. i have no problem with auto trannies -- just don't take away my option of having a stick
Old 12-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kyle_22r
i will never, ever, ever own an auto. it's not a truck to me unless it's available in a stick. ... ... and the idea of an auto being better offroad is just an opinion, much like me liking sticks. to me, it's all about the driver skill and preference. i have no problem with auto trannies -- just don't take away my option of having a stick
me either (to the first statement), and that's my opinion also (to the rest).
Old 12-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

I love my 5 speed
Old 12-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Manual Tranny?

Originally posted by Gadget
Manuals no longer last longer in general to autos. They are no longer cheaper to repair. How many shops do you know that can overhaul one? There are lots of shops that can repair and overhaul an auto these days. Working on manuals is a lost art.

The manuals are better for going down a steep slippery hill, but that is all.

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com
I must respectfully disagree on these two points.

There is rarely a need to overhaul a manual untill it gets to be close to 20 years old. You just drain it and re-fill it. They are a whole lot easier to take care of.

I live in a state full of steep slippery hills. This time of year, with the weather, almost everyone I know LIVES on one of these hills. In the summer conquering this type of hill can be a very fulfiling full time hobby to many including myself.

I've said it many times, I will never buy an automatic transmission. I could not stand to drive a vehicle that thinks it knows more about what I want it to do than I do. I want to be 100% in control of what my truck is doing at all times.

Toyota can take its automatics and shove them. I'll take a 5 speed X-Terra over an automatic 4Runner for as long as I live. My hat is off to Nissan for still offering manuals. To Nissan I say "Thank you," for trying to be a shepard rather than a sheep.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all boils down to emissions. Now that auto trannies are computer controlled, manufacturers (all, not just Toyota) are only putting automatics in their larger (and more popular) vehicles. By having the computer pick which gear it best, the emissions can be reduced.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:22 PM

Some simple reasons I like a manual:

-A manual won't upshif when sensing wheel spin in mud
-Autos have overheating issuers
-Sticks offer more gear ratios
-Stickes offer more HP and MPG from the same engine
-An auto has more parts to break
-Sticks only add to the challenge of off roading, if we all had the ultimat tube buggies and lazied around all day not having to apply driving skill, what fun would that be.
-So few people know how to drive sticks these days, less people will ask to borrow your car and it is a prooven fact it is less likely to be stolen.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
but could we keep the soccer mom bashing to a minimum. Unlike most, my mother really is a soccer mom - she has spent the last 12 years of her life driving my brother and I all over the city, state, and region for soccer tournaments, games, and so on. Just for information, she used to drive a Dodge Caravan, and just very recently upgraded to a Honda Pilot...she has never owned or wanted a huge SUV.
Grow up, we all have/had mothers.

Gotta disagree from the gas mileage standpoint. These days, I've been seeing the automatics being rated higher than the manuals in reference to gas mileage. I liked a 5 speed, my past couple vehicles were 5 spds, and I learned to drive on a 3 on the tree, but I couldn't find a 5 speed with a locker, the gas mileage with the manual was not gonna justify it either. Came down to reliabilty, and toyota builds good tranny's that will run about as long as their motors if maintained, and not have to worry about replacing master/slave cylinders and not be inconvenienced. That being said, I'd def prefer the manual off-road. And in the snow! I took my 99 out for the first time on ice the other day and have to say I felt much less confident than I did back in my AWD talon or old 874Runner which both had 5 speeds.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:39 PM

I suppose the MPG would differ from vehicle to vehicle. Stats I looked at at sites like Edmunds.com said the mannuals MPG was better. Worth mentioning though is that people who crave manuals, (most people who have them these days) drive like a bunch of fricken morons. (going to school and work is not the Baja 500). My brothers Honda Del Sol gats terrible mileage thanks to his "cool" driving style.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My brothers Honda Del Sol gats terrible mileage thanks to his "cool" driving style.
My sister had one of those a while back. I drove it for a week. I loved that thing, it got well over 30mpg! I raced a 540 BMW and he beat me but not mercilessly, good times.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:48 PM

My brother is definetly a street racer. The car was 7K and the mods were 10K(runs the 1/4 in 9.85) he still owes my parents for most of it. I'm proud to say I never took a cent form them for anything, I hate spoiled kids. A girl at my school has one of those Izuzu Vehicrosses, a sweet looking vehicle, I wonder how they fit it under the tree.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny?