Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Man O Man

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man O Man

I just ordered my SMT-5 from Louie - sounds like a great guy! He said that the only issue he herd from anyone was that Mark was having a stalling issue some time - got that fixed Mark?
I also have my new (?) Aisin hubs to clean and paint then install. Thanks Victor!
Next will be the fan changeout.
I should have one sweet running 3.0 !
I hope to get with Mark and Dr. Z's help (at least on-line) to install the SMT-5.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Dumb question but what is an SMT-5?
Old 04-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Heck, I think that is a fine question..

btw.. what the heck is it??
Old 04-07-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think its a programmer. I havent even read this link so I cant be certain.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130
Old 04-07-2003, 06:27 PM

SMT-5

Check out Dr. Z's postings - it is a devise that tells the OBDC the right thingsd to change advance and fuel maps for the engine. It seems that Toyota designs the 4Runners to be rugged to drive anywhere on just about any type of gas. Look at the other 3.0 L engines and see what HP and tourque levels they are getting - even 4 cylinder engines are producing more ppower and tourque than our 3.0 L V6's
This will change some of that - the SMT-5 gives you the ability to change timming and fuel delivery to optimize engine performance vice dial it down as the factory does. We do not have the same variables that the 3.4 L 185 HP 4Runners have but we can make the 150 HP 3.0 L engines run much better than they normally do.
I do not have access to any type of measuring devises so I'm not going to do before and after results, but from what I hear from folks on this board it should be a real runner.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there;

Yeup, my stalling issue is gone. I thought I wrote to Louie to update him, but I guess not. Dang... Sorry.

The issue was my fault. I had a flakey connection with the crankshaft sensor.

...it is a devise that tells the OBDC the right thingsd
Actually, it's a device that's telling the ECU stuff. "OBD" is On Board Diagnostics.

The short form is that with the SMT-5 and a Windows computer, you can have very complete control over timing and fuel delivery. The "maps" allow you to control timing and fuel delivery as a function of RPM and air flow. For example, you can set a small timing advance with normal fuel flow at just above idle, which will get you some kick off the line.

I'm REALLY happy with the box... I picked up a boatload of power all across the powerband. And, as a nice surprise, about 1.5mpg as well!

One thing to think about is to do up the deckplate and ISR mod as well. The point being that getting more air into the engine will help with combustion anyway, and the SMT-5 will be all that much more happier.

Do you have a Windows based laptop, or a long extension cord for your home PC? You'll need one to set the box up.

Feel free to fire off questions to me, either here or in direct email. If I can't answer something for you, I'll do what I can to find an answer. know that Dr. Z is pretty tied up with work these days, so he may be a bit slow on the response line.

I've been answering a lot of private mail about the box, with the most common questions being about wiring. This is the trickiest part of the install. As more boxes are getting installed, more wiring diagrams are getting figured out, but know that you may have to do some research up front to work out wires.

Also, there's a lot of info in that thread that Bumpin' Yota pointed at, but I figure that you've already seen it.

Have fun man!

Mark