Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A little off topic about Toyota/Lexus

Old 04-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little off topic about Toyota/Lexus

Hey guys, I am beginning to write a speech that is due tomorrow, and it is going to be a persuasive speech about Toyota. It will include things such as the history (including Edward Deming and his contributions to Jap. engineering), Innovations (such as Lexus and the hybrid mrkt.) and reasons why you should consider buying a Toyota. If anyone has some advice on what i can do or some facts that i can use, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
David
Old 04-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

went from a dinky little company to #2 in global auto sales. Displacing one of the big three.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:34 PM
zesty

Don't quote me on this, may wanna look into it more, but I heard they have surpassed DiamlerChrysler in the US in sales, and are now basically one of the "big 3".

EDIT: And don't say "Jap" in your speech...thats pretty racist.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

I would definetly hit on the "Toyoda" end of things in relation to lean manufacturing. I think it is just awesome how they adopted lean manufacturing ideas and principles and came out of nowhere to smoke the competition. It just goes to show you what a little SPC can do for you.

Personally, I would hit it in a timeline type fashion with my visual aids following their steps to success. You could show the old school crap all the way to the quality best selling cars we find on the road today and explain it as you go.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

hey, thanks guys. I didn't meen to say "Jap," like a racist term. It was just an abbriviation. sorry 'bout that. Anyone have any statistics?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:07 PM

Also maybe talk about the Toyota being contracted by the U.S. military to produce the landcruiser as a jeep type vehicle in Japan?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidO06
Hey guys, I am beginning to write a speech that is due tomorrow, and it is going to be a persuasive speech about Toyota.
Due tomorrow, starting now? For a speech that, done seriously, should be rehearsed ten times? I hope it's an elective course. Anyway, a "history of toyota" Google showed over 38,000 hits. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:46 PM
lee
Contributing Member

look at JA's site...

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/index.html
Old 04-12-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't Yamaha build the Lexus engines???
Old 04-13-2004, 02:23 PM

You might want to weave into your argument the fact that Toyota now builds vehicles in the US, providing US jobs, paying US taxes and contributing to the social good (invisible hand theory) of the US. Seems to be one of the long standing obstacles to buying foreign cars is the fact that they take away US jobs. If you want to persuade these people to now buy Toyota, you need to let them see how Toyota has contributed to the US economy. Hope you're not one of my students since my business communications class is just now doing their persuasive speech section and I expect them to do more preparation then the day before.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

business communications class....now that's one of the practical classes you'll need for business. i took that a couple years ago.

kinda too late since your speech is due today, but yeah man i'd get started earlier next time, even with the help of your firendly local yotatech board. at least two days haha
Old 04-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

wait wait .. your supposed to write something before hand for a speech .. I just usually pulled my info out of my
Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by sdastg1
wait wait .. your supposed to write something before hand for a speech .. I just usually pulled my info out of my
Old 04-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

nice.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:47 PM

Calrocx,

How do you do that? One of those few things you see on the Internet that actually creates a chuckle! Excellent!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

gotta admit, i got it from the mthigh forum. but something like that would be pretty easy to make all you'd do is take a screenshot of clippy then photochop in the text.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

I'd also mention something about how Toyota started to become popular during a time when average Americans were familiar with the term "Jap junk", when the domestic vehicles if the late 70's, early 80's were in fact junk. Also, because of the quality of Toyota, and other foreign manufacturers, it forced our domestic builders to get up to speed quality-wise, which has happened for the most part.

I am taking my last class right now for my BS in Business Management. I guess I'm a terrible student, because I always end up finishing my papers the night they're due. Is a 3.65 GPA that bad?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

It's called grade inflation. Just kidding, congrats on the great GPA. What school?

The difference in your example is that you're finishing, while he's starting the night before. I've also found a difference between slinging it in writing and delivering a live presentation. You don't get a chance to revise and edit a presentation. Success in speech is directly related to preparation and rehearsing. One night doesn't seem like enough, but maybe he's a natural.

My implied point is that it's no way to conduct oneself in the private sector, presumably what he's preparing for. He'd last long enough to meet EEOC and HR counseling and termination guidelines in most corporate environments.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tom4416
You might want to weave into your argument the fact that Toyota now builds vehicles in the US, providing US jobs, paying US taxes and contributing to the social good (invisible hand theory) of the US. Seems to be one of the long standing obstacles to buying foreign cars is the fact that they take away US jobs. If you want to persuade these people to now buy Toyota, you need to let them see how Toyota has contributed to the US economy. Hope you're not one of my students since my business communications class is just now doing their persuasive speech section and I expect them to do more preparation then the day before.
not to mention TONS of U.S. vehicles are now being shipped off to canada and mexico to be built. many people are very ignorant these days. there is NOTHING that is 100% american in american vehicles. just like with foreign vehicles, they're not all 100% foreign. also, i actually read an article about 6 months ago saying that toyota is building 1 production plant somewhere in the states (can't remember where) right now, and is also getting the plans ready for 2 more shortly after this one is finished being built. so they are getting more and more "american" all the time. and they ARE now one of "the big 3". #3 in america, #1 in japan. and not a single person out there will argue that you can't compete with the general trend of quality of toyota's.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Most Toyota's sold in the U.S. are now produced in North America. Toyota exports N.A. production to other markets around the world. Here's a two-page printable .pdf map and chart of the 14 (so far) N.A. production facilities.

$13B+ in purchases, 34,000+ manufacturing associates, $2.24B payroll, more to come

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A little off topic about Toyota/Lexus