Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lift gate wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lift gate wiring

1998 LTD. I was having some problems with my alarm going off for no reason, and my lift gate latch was becoming less reliable and had no rear compartment dome light when set to "door". When I pulled the latch I could tell the internal switch was not working - always open circuit. After reading that the alarm module is that box inside the lift gate, I uncovered the wire loom at the gate hinge, and found one pink wire was broken. I'd like to see all the wiring diagrams for the lift gate so I can check & fix it all in one go. My book is for Tundra, so no lift gate. Diagrams anyone?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what are you calling a lift gate ??

A hydraulic lift used to lift objects into the vehicle??

If so just what brand do you have ??
Old 06-05-2017, 07:38 AM

Toyota refers to the rear hatch on 4runners as a lift gate. Odd name, but there it is.
Surprisingly, I was able to fix the rear compartment dome light operation simply by spraying WD40 in the latch. I fixed the one broken wire at the hinge by soldering in an extra 1". This wire was not long enough to simply solder the ends together, and it gets lots of flexing where it had broken. It is too soon to tell if this will fix the odd alarm/lock behaviors I have seen.

I'd still like to have that part of the wiring diagram.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tns1
1998 LTD. I was having some problems with my alarm going off for no reason, and my lift gate latch was becoming less reliable and had no rear compartment dome light when set to "door". When I pulled the latch I could tell the internal switch was not working - always open circuit. After reading that the alarm module is that box inside the lift gate, I uncovered the wire loom at the gate hinge, and found one pink wire was broken. I'd like to see all the wiring diagrams for the lift gate so I can check & fix it all in one go. My book is for Tundra, so no lift gate. Diagrams anyone?
deleted

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-05-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM

deleted

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-05-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Sorry for the posts above--software was fighting me.

Here are some 1998 diagrams:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
128 Door Lock Control.pdf (66.8 KB, 70 views)
140 Theft Deterrent.pdf (74.3 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-05-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:26 PM

These are great diagrams, but I can see that more info is needed such as locations of the various connectors and ECUs shown. Is the "back door ECU" mentioned, the one hidden inside the lift gate? I see what looks like the lift gate latch switch, but I don't see the solid pink wire I repaired. Any chance to get the entire diagram?

My alarm went off again when I was unlocking the door. I will need to experiment to see if I can repeatable false alarms. Maybe I have more broken wires or worn door switches.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by tns1
These are great diagrams, but I can see that more info is needed such as locations of the various connectors and ECUs shown. Is the "back door ECU" mentioned, the one hidden inside the lift gate? I see what looks like the lift gate latch switch, but I don't see the solid pink wire I repaired. Any chance to get the entire diagram?

My alarm went off again when I was unlocking the door. I will need to experiment to see if I can repeatable false alarms. Maybe I have more broken wires or worn door switches.
Yes Back-door ECU is the box inside the liftgate. I don't see the pink wire either. Are you sure it's not aftermarket?

The location diagrams are not very good, but here you go. If you want to root around in the whole diagram, be my guest.
Attached Files
Component_Locations.pdf (567.8 KB, 84 views)
Overall_EWD.pdf (992.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks again for the help. My alarm has been behaving itself again, but I am thinking that a problem may still exist with the lift gate latch/switch. In the past there were several times when I thought the lift gate was closed, but later found it only partly latched. Most of my false alarms were probably due to this. All I did was lube the old latch, and even though it seems to behave electrically it takes very little pressure on the release to open it as if the mechanical part is worn. I have purchased a new latch but have not had time to replace it.