Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Jaretstuff’s 1999 Highlander Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 11:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Have the link mounts reattached and almost all of the frame patching done. Forgive my welds my welder doesn’t like 110 and I’m not the best welder anyway lol

Step one was getting the frame back to having some structural rigidity by replacing rust with similar thick ness plate and stitch welding it. Then came attaching the link mounts, and plating over both sides so each link mount is welded on each side twice. Looking like it will be almost 1.5 times stronger than factory

Old 02-27-2021, 05:21 PM

Old 03-05-2021, 06:45 PM

I got my bumper designed and built. Only the fine tuning and mounting left.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:18 AM

Finally got all my frame panels in one place, now I just gave a full day of welding and grinding. Have to shave some brackets and repair a broken upper link mount on the axle housing. Then make my bumper brackets. I’m getting close!

Old 03-12-2021, 11:29 PM

Old 03-14-2021, 09:13 AM

Made some beefier/ longer upper links yesterday. Also got all my links cleaned and coated.

The following users liked this post:
habanero (06-08-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:58 PM

Started getting the air tanks made and plumbed
Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 AM

Been putting in a lot of work on the 4runner recently. Got all of the frame work done, bumper done, and the whole underside from the front arms back coated. Made some rear outboard shock mounts and had to clearance my lift kit a bit. Still need to put on exhaust, front lift and accessories.

1/4 wall tubing cut in half to make the outboard shock mounts. These are set up for stock length shocks for now.

Cleaned and coated rear axle with fresh hardware, fluid, brake lines and a rear lunchbox locker

Outside in the sun for the first time
Old 05-16-2021, 03:31 PM

habanero (06-13-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 04:29 PM

Anyone still here? Been enjoying the 4runner last month or so.

habanero (06-08-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 01:10 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Nice looking truck!

I really like the work you've done on the underside. Very impressive. I dig that K&N diff breather, too. I can't think of a better place for it. Just don't pile too much "stuff" in the storage compartment!

Keep up with the updates! I may not comment all that much, but I DO enjoy seeing the progress you are making. I can't be the only one...
Pat☺
Old 06-06-2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Nice looking truck!

I really like the work you've done on the underside. Very impressive. I dig that K&N diff breather, too. I can't think of a better place for it. Just don't pile too much "stuff" in the storage compartment!

Keep up with the updates! I may not comment all that much, but I DO enjoy seeing the progress you are making. I can't be the only one...
Pat☺
thanks for the reply Pat. I appreciate the kind words. My hope for the cubby was only a first aid kit or maybe a an air chuck container.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:40 AM

I'm not all that familiar with the Gen 3 trucks, yet. Only bought my 99 4Runner recently. I'm still learning.

Having said that, isn't that cubby, in the original design, made to hold the tire changing kit Toyota provides? The crank for the jack, the extensions for it, the tire iron for the lug nuts, maybe even the jack itself. I thought that's what the straps are for, is holding all that stuff in place. Maybe I'm way wrong though. Never hurts to have a good first aid kit along, that's for certain!

Keep the updates coming!
Pat☺
Old 06-07-2021, 02:08 PM

I'm not all that familiar with the Gen 3 trucks, yet. Only bought my 99 4Runner recently. I'm still learning.

Having said that, isn't that cubby, in the original design, made to hold the tire changing kit Toyota provides? The crank for the jack, the extensions for it, the tire iron for the lug nuts, maybe even the jack itself. I thought that's what the straps are for, is holding all that stuff in place. Maybe I'm way wrong though. Never hurts to have a good first aid kit along, that's for certain!

Keep the updates coming!
Pat☺
I think you are correct on that being the jack location

I have a receiver mount for my fullsize spare, and plan on buying a hilift and tools to keep in here for those occasions. 99-00 is in my opinion the best years of these, the 99+ refresh is a lot more livable interior and other than the fat lip bumper I think they are also better looking. 3rd gens are the last of the small toyotas, I have a newer 4runner and would never consider building it to offroad just on the dimensions alone
Old 06-08-2021, 10:19 PM

I think the 99 I've got is a mid point between the 87 4Runner I have, and the newer 4Runners I've seen. I tell ya, though, this 99 is awesome for me. Just the right size, inside and out. I lay down the back seats, I can stretch out and sleep in the back, but it's nice being able to get to it via the back doors, which my 87 doesn't have. I love the ways I can adjust the seats, too. Not just fore and aft, and lean a little, on the driver's side.

My biggest project now is to replace the antenna, and I've seen so many write ups on how to on this forum, I figure once my lovely wife turns loose the money for the new antenna, it should take me a good 10 min or so to do it
I have no idea just why a previous owner cut the antenna off about 4 inches from the base, and then had a nice radio in it. It makes no sense. But hey, at what, $8-10.00 for a new antenna, I think even my income can take the hit. We'll see!

After putting $1500.00 into it as soon as we got it, a complete new set of nice Toyo AT tires, a few oil and air filter for come the day, a new rear view mirror (it was sloppy loose), stuff like that, my lovely wife, our money manager, refuses to spend for the new antenna It'll happen, once again, come the day. I'm not going anywhere, and neither is the truck Just a matter of patience.

That's the thing, though. I have no patients. That's why I had to quit medical school! Can I get a rim-shot here? Anyone? No...? <Sigh>

Have fun, man, I sure am!
Pat☺
Old 06-09-2021, 03:01 AM

I think the 99 I've got is a mid point between the 87 4Runner I have, and the newer 4Runners I've seen. I tell ya, though, this 99 is awesome for me. Just the right size, inside and out. I lay down the back seats, I can stretch out and sleep in the back, but it's nice being able to get to it via the back doors, which my 87 doesn't have. I love the ways I can adjust the seats, too. Not just fore and aft, and lean a little, on the driver's side.

My biggest project now is to replace the antenna, and I've seen so many write ups on how to on this forum, I figure once my lovely wife turns loose the money for the new antenna, it should take me a good 10 min or so to do it
I have no idea just why a previous owner cut the antenna off about 4 inches from the base, and then had a nice radio in it. It makes no sense. But hey, at what, $8-10.00 for a new antenna, I think even my income can take the hit. We'll see!

After putting $1500.00 into it as soon as we got it, a complete new set of nice Toyo AT tires, a few oil and air filter for come the day, a new rear view mirror (it was sloppy loose), stuff like that, my lovely wife, our money manager, refuses to spend for the new antenna It'll happen, once again, come the day. I'm not going anywhere, and neither is the truck Just a matter of patience.

That's the thing, though. I have no patients. That's why I had to quit medical school! Can I get a rim-shot here? Anyone? No...? <Sigh>

Have fun, man, I sure am!
Pat☺
Goodluck on the antenna install, I vaguely remember those being a pain to remove lol.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:10 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

Keep the updates coming!
Pat☺
As far as I know, the tire changing stuff is still under the passenger side rear seat cushion. The jack wedges into a little bracket, the toolkit is in a pouch held by a rubber strap, and the longer part of the handle clicks into some plastic clips.

I don't know what the straps were intended to hold in the larger 99+ cubby, I don't think they had a specific use, just there to help secure whatever you wanted to put in there.

I hope you don't end up getting too many oil fumes inside the cabin from putting the diff breather there - diff oil is usually stinky for some reason. I just ran mine up into the fuel door area, tucked next to the gas cap.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jomoka
As far as I know, the tire changing stuff is still under the passenger side rear seat cushion. The jack wedges into a little bracket, the toolkit is in a pouch held by a rubber strap, and the longer part of the handle clicks into some plastic clips.

I don't know what the straps were intended to hold in the larger 99+ cubby, I don't think they had a specific use, just there to help secure whatever you wanted to put in there.

I hope you don't end up getting too many oil fumes inside the cabin from putting the diff breather there - diff oil is usually stinky for some reason. I just ran mine up into the fuel door area, tucked next to the gas cap.
ive had similar setups on a few vehicles I’ve had and have always like it. I prefer the filter over the breather as I’ve found it can help cool the fluid slightly.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:53 PM

Thanks, Jomoka!

No wonder the jack, etc, has been banging and rattling around in that cubby. I finally looked in the Owner's Manual (that thing is HUGE! ), and saw for myself where everything goes. Thanks for the heads up, though. Very helpful.

I didn't think about the scent of the diff oil. I don't imagine it's very pleasant, especially on a hot day, with the cabin closed up tight, and the AC on recirc. Oh well.

Have fun, all!
Pat☺
Old 06-13-2021, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 468 Likes on 312 Posts
Still here, got half wore out just reading about all the welding and clean-up you had to do. Nice to see you've got it rolling.
old87yota (06-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Jaretstuff’s 1999 Highlander Build Thread