Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Jaretstuff’s 1999 Highlander Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 11:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Oof, that's some rust. Gonna feel good after you complete all that work, will be quite the accomplishment.
Oh yes this thing is crispy, will feel feel good to get it back to stronger than stock. I’m going to do 1/8 inch plate steel bent into a U channel to encapsulate the current frame. I’m going to cut out the rear tire mount and build an onboard air system in the extra space.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by fierohink
How much lift are you doing? In the rear, just blocks? Or full Long bar kit?
just doing 2 inches for now, stock link length and all. I am going to put some tubing around the small upper links for some additional strength. This is phase one of this build. I also have some ideas for a mechanical a-trac
Old 01-02-2021, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 468 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by jaretstuff
Oh yes this thing is crispy, will feel feel good to get it back to stronger than stock. I’m going to do 1/8 inch plate steel bent into a U channel to encapsulate the current frame. I’m going to cut out the rear tire mount and build an onboard air system in the extra space.
Nice!
The OBA has been very handy for many uses. My compressor is within the cargo area, the tank is where the spare used to be. I unbolted the spare tire winch but left the rear crossmember in- but there is more meat left on mine than on yours. The air chuck got moved to the bumper in the step area, it stays a lot cleaner there than when I had it on a bracket on the frame. I do need to find a way to better protect the pressure switch on the tank from dust and water.
Watching intently to see how you set yours up.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:51 AM

Nice!
The OBA has been very handy for many uses. My compressor is within the cargo area, the tank is where the spare used to be. I unbolted the spare tire winch but left the rear crossmember in- but there is more meat left on mine than on yours. The air chuck got moved to the bumper in the step area, it stays a lot cleaner there than when I had it on a bracket on the frame. I do need to find a way to better protect the pressure switch on the tank from dust and water.
Watching intently to see how you set yours up.
thank you! The plan is to do dual 20 gallon tanks that I can precharge and then a small 12v onboard as a replenisher.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jaretstuff
thank you! The plan is to do dual 20 gallon tanks that I can precharge and then a small 12v onboard as a replenisher.
Oh, wow! That's a lot of volume in air tanks. Now I can see why bye bye cross member! Any worries about your little onboard getting too hot from that much continuous duty and shutting down mid-refill? Or, since it's only having to refill what you take out and what leaks, it will do okay? My OBA experience is limited to the 2gal tank variety that takes up a fair amount of space as it is....
Old 01-02-2021, 09:09 AM

Oh, wow! That's a lot of volume in air tanks. Now I can see why bye bye cross member! Any worries about your little onboard getting too hot from that much continuous duty and shutting down mid-refill? Or, since it's only having to refill what you take out and what leaks, it will do okay? My OBA experience is limited to the 2gal tank variety that takes up a fair amount of space as it is....
my hope is it will do ok and I should not have to really ever use it, more as an emergency or if I have to air multiple times. But I will definitely need to do more research.
The following users liked this post:
habanero (01-02-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 04:28 AM

I’m back after a 2-3 week hiatus of not working on the 4runner. I was transitioning out of my old job and it was requiring all of my available time. But now I’m back to school I should have more time to devote to this. I got the rear frame ready for patches to go on and I am now in the process of making templates
habanero (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:39 AM

I have the rear 1/3 of the frame patches drawn up and measured. Now it’s time to start to transfer them to the metal

habanero (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Nice workshop to get stuff done in.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:57 AM

Nice workshop to get stuff done in.
thank you! The only con is it’s at my parents place so don’t always have access to it
Old 02-06-2021, 05:41 PM

Got step one of the actual structural stuff done.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:22 AM

These should light up the trails nicely

Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM

Actual step one I forgot to post
habanero (02-08-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 05:00 AM

Sorry if my thread is a mess with just picture dumps. I will try to consolidate what the plans are as of right now.

frame: have over half of it done, front bad parts still need the outer skin welded on and coated. Rear is almost done and just needs stitch welded.

bumpers: still making the hybrid rear bumper out of the hitch, also am going to be cutting a tube and making a front light mount/push bar through my front factory bumper. Also am going to ad a front hitch in the center

lift: 2.5/2inch lift kit is coming in this week, already have my 285s on my stock trispokes, going to try to see what spacer I will need to run.

other mods: ordered a rear auburn locker yesterday, have a trd offroad decal coming in, need to figure out CB mounts, ORV flags and start to construct my on board air. I’d like to see if my factory AC is charged, if not that’s gonna be my compressor. If it does work I will need to rethink my idea. Also need to figure out the best way to do my dual battery’s.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:05 AM

Score

Scored a lunchbox locker for about $100 off! Can’t beat that
Old 02-11-2021, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

I like all the pictures, shows the progress you're making. I really like my dual batteries, they've come in very handy at times. My husband is thinking out a system for his truck now, he'd doing something different from mine.
It will be interesting to see what direction you take yours in.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:31 PM

I like all the pictures, shows the progress you're making. I really like my dual batteries, they've come in very handy at times. My husband is thinking out a system for his truck now, he'd doing something different from mine.
It will be interesting to see what direction you take yours in.
I was really hoping I could move my overflow and run the two batteries in the stock location, long ways but it’s about 2 inches two short of space
Old 02-13-2021, 04:43 PM

Got my TRD decal on the passenger side, also still been getting the frame ready for the exterior patches, have all the way to the back crossmember done, hopefully have up the the front and the rest of my sleeves cut by the end of next weekend. Slow going and can’t wait to get this done. Also test fit my lights

Placement for the lights and bullbar tubing

7inch LED light with integrated DRLs

Trd American flag decal, 1/8 inch crooked lol

Passenger primary patch

my lights
Old 02-15-2021, 06:07 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
What lights are you using? I’ve wanted to upgrade my lighting for a while now.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by fierohink
What lights are you using? I’ve wanted to upgrade my lighting for a while now.
just some of the ebay “premium” 7inch ones. Were around $70-80

Quick Reply: Jaretstuff’s 1999 Highlander Build Thread