See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

"ISR mod" good idea or bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "ISR mod" good idea or bad idea

I hear alot about the ISR mod. I hear both good and bad things about this mod. I'm sure the noise increases, but does power really increase? Does anyone have access to a dyno to test the increase in HP before and after this mod? I want to do this mod, if it increases HP. Can anyone verify this on the 3.4L? I have seen dyno results on different engines that increase HP for the Ford 4.7 and another dyno result that decreased HP (Some import I can't recall at the moment). I haven't seen the results on the 3.4L. Can anyone help me out by pointing me to a site or by testing their truck on a dyno? Who has done this mod and are you happy with it? Would you do it again?

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

I highly doubt anyone is going to dyno a $10 mod that has only been touted to increase throttle response. But I could be wrong.

The ISR mod does increase sound; depending on what you have on the end of the "straw" of course. For example, if you have the stock box with no deckplate and the elbow in place, you will not experience much of a sound increase. If you have the elbow pulled, you will hear a subtle difference. If you have the deckplate mod and it's open, it will be VERY loud at WOT and high RPM. Once you get the SC'r, all that goes right out the window (in a hurry ).

So, the verdict on the ISR mod is an increase in sound and throttle response. It makes sense if you think about it. The time it takes to get the desired air into the combustion chambers decreases because there are less "boxes" to get the air out of. Not a big difference of course, but enough to be worth the $10 or so.

Not sure what vehicle you have, but if you will be doing the plug-type ISR mod, be sure and use a threaded cleanout plug for the main (front) plug - they are much stronger than end caps.

Good luck!

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 11-09-2005 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Christian has it pretty much covered...

The ISR mod will increase throttle response, not add horsepower, and it's best used in conjunction with the deckplate mod (or something to get more air into the mix).

The key selling point of the mod is that if you go the route of plugging the hoels that are there (versus buying an Airaid tube or equivilent), then it's got a cheap buy-in and it's quickly undoable.

One downside here is that if you take youre truck off into the mud or deep water, then mositure has a more direct path into the throttle body and on into the engine. One of the side-effects of having the silencers in there is that they will tend to act as gravity traps for water. But then, not much will save you if you DO happen to hit deep water at speed.

In short... do it. If you don't like it, you're out $10 tops.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM

im gonna go ahead and say that the mod is more done just for customization than for actual practical use. it DOES increase throttle response and it does look pretty sick if you work it out like mine. some pics at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2160200
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

i did the ISR in conjunction with the 4" deckplate and a magnaflow exhaust...very happy with it.. sounds very cool and pulling through 1st in 2nd @ WOT is quite a rush
Old 11-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Location: Ocean Beach, CA Five square miles surrounded by reality.
i thought gadget had dyno'd this mod, and also the K&N FPIK vs. deckplate mod?

check this out...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm

P.S. I did the ISR mod and deckplate mod and I can help you with either if you need it, I live in Ocena Beach.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fatdudesurfin
it DOES increase throttle response and it does look pretty sick if you work it out like mine. some pics at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2160200
that looks excellent! how did you fab it up exactly? the writeups i've seen all involve going to a muffler shop for a (presumably) mandrel-bent pipe... just curious 'cause i may tackle this one soon, too. thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:47 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
From the pic it also looks like the radiator shroud has been removed. (It took me a minute to realise what looked different.) That would be a bad mod... I mean bad as in not good - guaranteed to overheat.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:09 PM

if removing the shroud will have any negative effects, ill throw it back on. thanks for callin that one, flamed.

as for the isr mod, i bought a generic 3" intake pipe from autozone and cut it to fit. bought some extra rubber hose fittings and mounted it up. it was as simple as cut and fit. two issues with this mod: connecting the two intake hoses and interference with the master cylinder. for the hoses, the autozone intake tube has one welded metal fitting for the valve cover, but for the other, i had to use some silicon sealant to attach the hose to the included rubber fitting. if this is confusing i can go into more detail, and ill grab some more pics for anyone interested. as for the collision with the master cylinder, i just hammered in part of the tube and no more interference.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the offer for help. I may have to take you up on that. I did do the deck plate mod and am thinking of the ISR mod. My truck is a 2002 with the 3.4L. Sounds like all you guys don't have any regrets and would do this mod again. I didn't see the dyno run with the ISR mod, but everyone says it does spool up faster, which is a good thing.
Thanks for all the replys and I appreciate the offer for help from Mr. OB. BTW - Very close to my house.

What is the Tundra brake upgrade?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Just FYI - since it looks like you may have a lot of questions coming up. The search function will help you find all the information you could possibly need. There *are* people who are staunchly AGAINST the ISR mod and you'd find more information on why you should and should not do this mod by searching.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by fatdudesurfin
if removing the shroud will have any negative effects, ill throw it back on. thanks for callin that one, flamed.

as for the isr mod, i bought a generic 3" intake pipe from autozone and cut it to fit. bought some extra rubber hose fittings and mounted it up. it was as simple as cut and fit. two issues with this mod: connecting the two intake hoses and interference with the master cylinder. for the hoses, the autozone intake tube has one welded metal fitting for the valve cover, but for the other, i had to use some silicon sealant to attach the hose to the included rubber fitting. if this is confusing i can go into more detail, and ill grab some more pics for anyone interested. as for the collision with the master cylinder, i just hammered in part of the tube and no more interference.
I've had rigs (big diesels) that had "bulletproof" cooling systems where something as simple as a replacement fan that is 1/2" less in diameter and therefore the gap from from the shroud is bigger than stock could cause over heating. Also how far inside the shroud the fan was placed has made the difference. My experience is that any time the fan can get air that didn't come through the radiatior it will - path of least resistance - air doesn't WANT to be dragged through the radiator. No shroud at all shouldn't work at all. Also had overheating caused by some of the shrouding between the grill and front of the radiator coming loose, so the fan could pull engine compartment hot air around and back into the radiator rather than all the air coming from the grill. Of course, if you only drive on the highway you could be fine...

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-10-2005 at 08:12 PM.