Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

IPT Valve Body Upgrade!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPT Valve Body Upgrade!! Cheaper than Level 10!

I've explored some other options per FattyCBR's recommendation to save some money on the valve body upgrade, and I was wondering if anyone has ever used IPT's services before? Their website is: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.shtml

In additon, for those that are looking to totally rebuild their tranny, then you can get it done for much cheaper than Level 10 from a company called Boost Logic. They've done a lot of high HP Supra trannies, and we supposably have the same tranny but the 4wd version. They can do a full rebuild, including VB upgrade, and a recut Torque convertor for only $2225, instead of $4200 by Level 10! How awesome is that? Boost Logic's website is:
http://www.boostlogic.com/MKIV_kits.html

We all should say thanks to FattyCBR for this very valuable information. I'm going to get the VB upgrade from IPT as soon as I can get the cash. It's only $475 instead of $698 by Level 10. Boost Logic only does full rebuilds with the option of recutting, replacing or keeping the stock torque convertor. By keeping the stock torque convertor, you can totally bomb proof your tranny for only $1800. That's sweet!

Chris

Last edited by ravencr; 06-19-2003 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 AM

So I guess nobody is really interested in saving any money! Oh well, but I'm sure that's not true! We all try to save money where we can, and this is definitely a way to do it!

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 07:43 AM

Well, I'm going to stop by IPT with my new '97 4runner, and have them do the valve body upgrade for me. It's going to cost $600-$650, because they are going to do all the work, including my tranny cooler. I can't wait!

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 09:45 AM

hey man im into saving money...i already spent a good 5000 on the upgrades for my taco....let me know how it is after the upgrade....and ill consider going to them as well!

thanks for the information!

im always listening for different ways to do things....maybe the interest in doing this VB upgrade isnt out there yet...not enough busted trannys maybe? =]

Take care and thanks again!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:06 AM

if our trucks have the *same* tranny as the supra, does that mean that the Supra twin turbo JZ engine will bolt on pretty easily?

second of all, i'm damn interested in saving money... however since i'm unemployed... i really don't have all that much money to save... but if i do get a job in the future, i'll definately be interested in the VB upgrade. please let us know how well it turns out.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:41 AM

I'll do it! I can't wait to see the difference. I'll be driving it all the way home from Wood Ridge, NJ to Maryville, TN, which is about 750 miles without my S/C on it, so I'm sure I'll notice a big difference. I'm going to make the shifts 1-2 steps from the hardest, firmest, shortest possible.

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 01:07 PM

Chris,
Do you have to tell them what you want? or do they just upgrade it to a typicaly setting with the fact you got a s/c on?

anyway im waiting to see what its like...
Old 07-06-2003, 03:10 PM

Yeah, you can tell them how firm you want the shifts to be. Considering that I haven't upgraded the rest of my tranny, I don't want to go to the absolute firmest shift possible, because it puts more stress on the rest of the tranny. So, I happy medium would be great! The worst part about our tranny's when you S/C them is the first to second gear shift. It sucks!

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 03:48 PM

Let me know what you say to them =] so i can tell them same thing....you can send them the VB right like level 10?

Thanks for answering questions...are you gonna put the S/C back on? or is this your new truck and have yet to put it on?
Old 07-06-2003, 05:24 PM

Ravencr- Yeah, your right. That 1st to 2nd shift is pretty gross and I don't even have the supercharger. I'm interested to hear how this all goes.......Keep us updated!!
Old 07-06-2003, 06:39 PM

I'm actually picking up the '97 in Amesbury, MA, and driving south towards home, which happens to run right past where IPT is located. So I figured, why not go ahead and get the VB upgrade done while I'm right there. Then, I'm leaving there to come home, with the potential to trailer home another '85 pickup I might buy that's only a couple of minutes away from Wood Ridge in Jersey City, NJ.

I'm really hoping the VB upgrade does a wonder for handling the extra power the S/C throws at it. And, yes, I'm transfering everything except the Fuel pump, which I'll just buy another one over to my '97. I can't wait!

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 07:28 PM

He hehe go chris go just driving around picking trucks up and stuff

Well let us know how it goes!
(now we got the thread goin =] )
Old 07-06-2003, 08:04 PM

Who knows at this point, but as the 13th nears, I'll know more.

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 08:16 PM

this is a big week for me as well...alot of my stuff will arrive this week...im hoping for the lo-tek gauge pod, fuel pump, road dyno, supra maf, gtech meter competition version, and if im lucky the s/c....i have to order my injectors tommorw and get them here fast too....
Im also going to get my engine shammpooed...either by me or my dealer does it...(im scard ill screw somethign up) so that everything is clean....also going inf or dyno next week for the BEFORE chart....and somethign to compair to the 2 dyno programs im getting...then 2 weeks from now im hoping to get truck in garage and start taking it apart =]
Old 07-06-2003, 08:19 PM

Sweet! It's a lot of fun doing it for the first time, isn't it?

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 08:27 PM

yea im totaly excited.....we are just finishing up our new garage here and its massive! form like small 400sq/ft 2 car to 800sq/ft 3 car...(prob can fit 4 tacos in there =])
finally soemthing flat and dry rather then the outside of my house...im going to have a HUGE write up once im done everything...perfect for the launch of my website/toy community that im trying to get at...

there will be many questions during the install process...be sure of that...:beaver:

i hope the smt 6 works well for my truck...
Old 07-06-2003, 08:30 PM

You'll enjoy it! I can't wait to do it all over again this week and next on my new toys. I'm going to do things a tad different this time around, and see what happens.

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 08:35 PM

yea liek not screw everything up j/k

i hope everything works out better this time for you...none of that starting crap you had to deal with!

You have fun too!
Old 07-06-2003, 08:36 PM

I'm just really picky, and here this last day after my last adjustment, it's starting every time with not a single problem at startup or idle. Amazine what a little TLC can do to these things.

chris
Old 07-06-2003, 08:48 PM

yes, when you get mad at them they give you attitude back...just love your runner....stroke her and love her...

I find that our trucks our true females (well mine anyway) mood swings like no tommorw...some tiems it dirves so sluggishly and cheap...then like 20 min later its acting like a v8 900hp....id ont knwo if its just mine but hell...

Quick Reply: IPT Valve Body Upgrade!!