Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interesting Brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Brake issue.

I bought my 4runner at the beginning of April Knowing it had what felt like slightly warped rotors (pulsing at slower was noticable), so i waited out school and when i got home put new pads and rotors on and everything was fixed stopped just fine. I just got the cheap stock replacements from Pepboys cost all of $90 buck. I did this about 6,000 miles ago. I started to notice is coming back a few weeks ago and its back to were i started, feels like they are warped again. the steering wheel doesnt shake but the pulsing is back. I dont know if that means something is out of wack on the calipers or how they are mounted. What do you guys think? Should i just go ahead and do the tundra swap like i want to?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Sounds like your rotors might be warping again. Nothing against Pep Boys, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Paul
Old 08-26-2008, 04:22 PM

Check tie rod play or ball joint play. Could be making a wobble. Worst case scenario is front bearings.

Get an alignment, and see if they can diagnose any of those three problems for you while its on the hoist!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Rear rotors can pulse the pedal or the whole truck too.
Bigblock
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 3yotys
Rear rotors can pulse the pedal or the whole truck too.
Bigblock
You'd feel the shaking in the seat if it was the rear brakes. Its especially noticeable at highway speeds and pulling on the ebrake lightly.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 PM

Samething happend to my 2000 4Runner. I did both front discs and the rear drums. After about 5,500mi my front left rotor warpped then the surface of the rotor melted off and destroyed my pads. I was using Duralast discs and semi-metallic pads. Enough was enough! After $220 I got a set of EBC Slotted rotors with Akebono Pro Act Ceramic pads now all is well.

Mine is the 11.7", rotors so I figured it would keep warpping unless I got the good stuff. I would highly recomend EBC Rotors, 4,000mi later no rust and they look great. Below is a youtube like talking about the rotors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0GbTN0wVYU
Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM

What is the easiest way to check play in the tierods ends?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 PM

happened to me too on my 99 4runner SR5, I had the shop put on oem rotors and that fixed the pulsating when braking....problem is.....3k miles later, the pads they used was made of too stiff of a material that it scraped the rotors pretty bad......I used oem rotors and pads next and pulsating was gone and the rotors are in perfect shape......lesson for the day.....get the good compatible parts, specially if you are going to do it yourself....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stock rotors are a well documented issue on the 3rd gen 4Runner. Either replace with a high quality aftermarket rotor like Brembo or consider a Tundra brake upgrade. A search will yield loads of info on either option. I've put 40000 miles on my Brembo rotors w/ stock pads and still no warpage. Also be sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly to avoid additional heat buildup on the front.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 AM

But should the stock rotors warp after only 6,000 miles? The Pep Boys replacements probably aren't the highest quality, but I would think they should last longer than that. Maybe the pads are too hard like j4eric said? When it comes to brakes I would only trust Toyota parts, or a quality aftermarket setup.

Sounds like you might need your dealership to diagnose the problem, and then decide if you want to fix it yourself.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 AM

No they shouldn't, if everything is adjusted properly. Have you verified the rear brakes are adjusted? If they aren't, then the fronts are doing all the work and creating extra heat which causes warping. One other possible cause is failure to torque the lug nuts to 83 ft/lbs. Over or under torqueing combined with brake rotor heat can lead to premature warpage.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM

I have thought about the tundra upgrade and i think it might be worth while but in not sure, I dont really have a place to work. I have a feeling the rears might not be adjusted right so i will take a look at them when i get a chance. looks like do it right the first time saying is coming back...yay. Maybe ill just look into tundra upgrade, i need to get a new head light from a junk yard anyway.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM

If you aren't pulling 4000lb trailers down a mountain pass then In My Opinion the Tundra upgrade isn't necessary. If you are then I'd probably suggest a bigger truck but thats neither here nor there.

Like I stated a couple posts up, I suffered from the same warpage problem virtually all 3rd gen owners do sooner or later. I simply bought quality Brembo rotors (stock size) and OEM pads, installed them, always ensure the lug torque is accurate, and keep the rear brakes adjusted. 3 years and at least 40000 trouble free miles. On a side note I did pull a 4000lb trailer across the country when I moved from the east coast. No warpage. But I wouldn't do that again.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All i have to say--is that the only real way we can make an impact on crappy parts is to return them.....Dont get lazy and not return them---return them and tell them why.

Soon it will cost them more money to put out bad products than to just put out good ones. That, and you can complain with the BBB and.......

I know it sounds whiny--but it isnt--I dont mind paying for quality and hate when i cant find decent stuff to do the job as required by manufactures standards........

Rant over
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Ok so whats the difference between these two?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1618068.html

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QQBR25488.html

Besides a few bucks?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On another note--does anybody know if there are any factory aluminum calipers out there we could put on? Wouldnt mind shaving the weight a little.

Like maybe the bigger lexus??
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by twitchee2
What is the easiest way to check play in the tierods ends?
There should be something on here to search for...

But jack up the front end, and grab one tire on the 3 and 9 o'clock position and shake it side to side, like it is going to turn. If you can feel play in the rack before the wheels begin to turn..you may have a loose tie rod.

I've done the tundra upgrade, and its shaking right now...I've adjusted everything and the tie rods are a bit wobbly...thats whats causing my shaking during braking!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you get them real hot then go thru dep wate or wash your wheels after driving. A dose of cool water will warp a rotor, like a hose or a creek maybe?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dbcx
Did you get them real hot then go thru dep wate or wash your wheels after driving. A dose of cool water will warp a rotor, like a hose or a creek maybe?
Not on any vehicle built after '68
Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 111db
Not on any vehicle built after '68
Uh what?

Quick Reply: Interesting Brake issue.