Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installing steering rack, brakes and pads myself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
There is not a rack available for $260 for a Prerunner Tacoma.

The PS pumps are $286, which is sorta close to $260.

The steering gear racks (Steering Gears) are $717 (for new ones)

I do not see a listing for remanned racks
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
There is not a rack available for $260 for a Prerunner Tacoma.

The PS pumps are $286, which is sorta close to $260.

The steering gear racks (Steering Gears) are $717 (for new ones)

I do not see a listing for remanned racks
Well Crap what the hell did i ORDER!!!!!!
fIRST I clicked on "Steering Gear and Linkage" then "rack". Is this not the Rack and Pinoin? Oh Man, how could I be so careless.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
They call em "rack and pinion" for a reason

I think you ordered PART of the rack. The actual "rack" of the "Rack" and pinion. I just check the illustration.

#19 in this picture:

#1, the "Gear Assy" goes for $717 NEW, and about $400 remanned from Toyota.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 PM

Well Looks like I'll have to return what I ordered to the nearest Dealership and Pay a restocking fee. I'm not sure what the policy is, I'll have to look it up. I would still pay 400 for a reman rack "and pinion" if it were remaned by toyota themselves. Man o man i really feel like a fool.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shop around your local power steering shops-they may be able to cut you a deal or do the labor needed.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
shop around your local power steering shops-they may be able to cut you a deal or do the labor needed.
Well, after checking Camwlback TOyota website, their return policy is in my favor. If the part has not been installed I can get a full refund. I'll call Monday and see if I can return it directly to the Camelback Toyota dealership, and while I'm there just pick up a reman rack and pinion.

I won't be installing the rack this weekend but at least I can do my brakes and rotors.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Ok I gave in and had the dealership install the rack and pinion. I did do the rotors and pads myself. Truck drives nice other than a vibration in the front. I has to be either the balancing or possible out of round tire. But the steering feels like new and absolutely no wandering.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Tipple inspect your steering rack bushings and check the torque of each nut/bolt. If the vibration didn't happen before, I'd suspect either just knowing it was done by some guy ya never met.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Tipple inspect your steering rack bushings and check the torque of each nut/bolt. If the vibration didn't happen before, I'd suspect either just knowing it was done by some guy ya never met.

I now what you're sayin'. I had that vibratoin before and was hoping my leaky rack was part of the problem. it was a source of other problems which were solved after the install of the toyota reman rack. But the shaky wheel remains. I suppose i'll keep taking my truck back to Discount Tire until they balance the tires (especially the ones in front) right. I'll be honest here, if I really want things balanced right, the dealership always does an excellent job with balancing. It costs me 80 bucks but at least I know it'll be done right. I'm seriously thinking about it. But its a principle thing and its free since I bought the tires from Discount.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
haha, I thought you were in PA, Poco444.

We have a Camel Back in PA here, in the Poconos, which by chance is also sometimes referred to as Poco.

my bad.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM

UPDATE: Sorry I have not posted my results sooner. Steering rack is installed, returned the wrong part and bought the correct one, had the dealership install. I installed the rotors and pads along with new calipers myself. I had someone weld in some frame reinforcements for me and Im having a Ride-Rite air helper springs with a 2in airbag spacer shipped to me soon. I will be getting help to install them. I will soon have all the tools needed for a safe and enjoyable camping trip this weekend.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM

thanks for the update. Like you I often need to pay folks to get it done right.

Glad to hear it is coming around the way you want it to be. Enjoy the long weekend.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Update: Well the steering rack is holding up well, the air springs did a great job with the heavy load and I soved my shaky wheel problem. The problem was a worn wheel bearings in the front. Had a new one installed and all the bad symptoms went away. Truck rides like new again.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
I too replaced my rack, and it solved some of the problems, but I still had massive vibration issues. I did have to replace the inner and outer tie rod ends on my old rack anyways, so I got a junk yard rack for 125 bucks with good tie rod ends and all, slammed it in without thinking about the bushings, and was disappointed when it didn't solve the problems entirely.

I had just about given up hope, as I had at least 4 different people check the ball joints and wheel bearings, only to find they were just fine. So I took my runner to my buddy's shop and we checked it out. Jacked up the front end and I shook the tires from left to right with the wheel locked while he watched. For once, someone was able to diagnose it! Wouldn't you know it, the steering rack bushings (which, like a fool I didn't replace to begin with) are completely shot. The entire rack moves 1/4"-1/2"!

Then we found another massive issue. the drag link(?) (part that connects the rear axle to the frame going forward towards the engine) bushing was completely non existent, allowing my rear axle to also move back and forth 1/2" to an inch. this caused extreme wear and tear on my rear diff to the point where it is almost completely undrivable, and thus, it has been parked awaiting repairs, cus' I ain't got no money.

SOO, moral of the story, KISS (keep it simple, stupid). If I had just checked the bushings all around the truck first, I could have saved a lot of time and frustration, a set of tires, and a rear end at the least...