Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Injector issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector issues...

I am pulling out the 315 Supra injectors from my 4Runner and taking off the SMT-5. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing with it, I never felt like I was making a lot more power, and my gas mileage was averaging 10 miles per gallon. I've concluded my 4Runner isn't supposed to be fast, because speed requires handling, which a lifted truck is not designed for. Just the S/C all by itself is good enough for me. Anyways, I had the stock injectors replaced and everything back together, and when I started it up fuel got everywhere. Now it may be a problem with one of the o-rings, but I was wondering if I forgot something. Does anyone know how many o-rings and rubber gaskets are supposed to be on each injector for a 2001 4Runner? I currently have 2 o-rings and one quarter sized rubber gasket, but I think there are supposed to be a second gasket? Is that right? I'll have to pull it all apart again to deal with it either way, but I just was wondering if anyone knows for sure. Thanks.

Zach
Old 03-15-2004, 11:18 AM

Did you ever try properly tuning the fuel curve with those 315cc injectors? If set up correctly you should of had good power and great fuel economy. 10 MPG is an indication that something was not setup correctly at all.

Just because you engine makes more power does not mean that you have to drive it faster or so fast that things are unsafe. Where I get the most enjoyment out of my supercharged trucks is using all that extra torque that is available for normal driving, like merging, keeping up with traffic on the highway and going up hills without downshifting. The occasional full throttle jonts are a lot of fun, but are far between.

Anyway, to answer your question, I know that on those stock injectors of yours you should have an O ring at that top and the tip, and a manifold grommet. I don't remember if the brown plastic injectors had a top grommet like the older metal ones or not. All of the brown plastic injectors I had got sent out to our machine shops so they would have a pattern to go off of for machining our Bosch injectors.

Gadget
Old 03-15-2004, 02:45 PM

That's just the thing Gadget, I don't know how to properly tune the fuel curve. I honestly don't know a thing about it, I was just asking people like you and going off of what other people were telling me. If there was some cheap and easy solution I'd jump on it, but you have to keep in mind I'm a high school senior, no job, just running off of money earned over the summer.

My orginal plan was to get the S/C, new injectors, and the SMT unit. I didn't think about a new fuel pump, tuning equiptment, new O2 sensors, etc... Plus there's no one around here really that knows how to help me with the tuning stuff. I mean I have e-mailed several of you guys on Yotatech, but sometimes it's necessary to have hands on help from someone that knows what they're doing. Maybe I should move to California... everyone and their mother lives there (no offense Cali. people).

The truck ran fine with an occasional difficulty starting, and of course the gas mileage of a hummer... I know what you mean though about the torque. I don't frequently drive it dangerously, or at extreme speeds, but I do enjoy the much more smooth power when cruising around town. The thing that set me over the edge though was this Ford Ranger... I don't race the 4Runner, but this guy was just asking for it... with his windows down acting like a jerk, so I thought I'd school him -- stock ranger by the way (except aesthetics). We raced to about 60 mph (I didn't wanna go any faster) and he pulled me by about half a car length... my 4Runner is auto too so it didn't have to do with shifting... I'm just frustrated now I guess. Maybe I will sell all the stuff I have now and try your URD kit -- tested and proven to work.

In any event, I need to have a working automobile, I hate bugging people for rides. Thanks though Gadget for your advice, you definately know what you're doing, and you never seem to get tired of being helpful. I hope your URD provides some tangible rewards for your sincerity and ingenuity.

Zach

Last edited by White SR5; 03-15-2004 at 02:48 PM.