Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I want to attach my CB to the ceiling,...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to attach my CB to the ceiling,...

Is there anything under the ceiling carpet that I could possibly use to bolt a bracket for a CB to without having to weld or even drill through the roof??? I have a 2000 Tacoma with no extended cab. On the rear wall on the cab there are raised area of metal that were welded there for support and to hold up the carpet. Is there anything like that under the carpet of the ceiling? There has to be somthing like that under there. I mean the roof can't just be a thin sheet of metal. There wouldn't be any protection if I rolled the truck, right?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:54 PM

A guy was killed recently in a rollover while offroading up here in the NW, got hit in the head by his CB which was mounted to the roof and I believe that was with a full roll cage as well. The cab is just sheetmetal, it will crush some in a rollover if not flatten completely.

Last edited by Shane; 06-09-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:59 PM

I agree with Shane, mounting CB on the roof is not the greatest idea. In case something happens, the last thing you would want is end up having a corner of CB radio inside of your head.

-- Andrey
Old 06-10-2003, 05:54 AM

Ok, you win. Where in NJ can I go and do some off roading? Probably not to many places I dont want to do any serious off roading. I just want to get the truck dirty thats all
Old 06-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

hey overkill! you can mount the cb on the roof!

If you want to mount the radio on the roof check out WWW.4wdmegastores.com.au that is the web store for the austrailian chain 4wd Megastores. Our friends downunder usually have to carry 2 radios on their outback adventures a CB and an HF radio several manufacturers down there have designed some really nifty OE looking consoles for the roof that will hold one or more radios, as well as cabin lights, and junk bins etc. check them out. just remember that the rest of the world calls the truck a Hilux and the 4runner a Hilux Surf. If your ride is a Tacoma you maybe SOL as that POS is made in US for NA market only th rest of the world still gets the good truck (hilux) made in Japan. If you do have a tacoma you could try e:mailing them they might be able to help anyway. hope this helps. :tomcat: Aviator
PS these consoles are upholstered and padded to match or come close to the factory colours of the interior.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:28 AM

i loved having my CB on the roof of my cab. i didn't have one of those larger models, just the mini one from cobra or uniden. basically i took a small piece of aluminum sheet metal from a hardware store. took off the rear view mount. drill the holes and made an opening so that the aluminum fit between the rear view mirror mount and the roof of the cab. i bent the aluminum to match the curve of the cab. drilled two more holes for the CB bracket. mounted the cab and was all set.

i loved it because it was out of the way and i could hear people since the speaker was firing downwards. unfortunately, i don't have any pictures any more.

it's something similar to steve's but i used a smaller piece (smaller CB) and just used the rear view mirror bolts to hold it place. http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/pc68xl.html