Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I got 33

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I got 33

...pounds baby pounds! Sorry, could'nt resist. My wife told me days ago my tires looked low. I pulled the compressor out to dust off a Vox amp I picked up at the swap meet. I remembered to check my tires and find they are at 29-30 pounds. A little low. I put in 33 pounds and put things away. Today, I'm driving and my wife sez, does'nt it feel better now? Damn! It really did. I drive the same roads every day, over the same bumps and dips and I could not believe the huge difference the air made. I guess my old school thought of how bias ply tires got harder the more air you put in, was in my head. I'm waiting for the day I change my shocks, but I'm gonna keep my tires at 33 from now on. It made a BIG difference...funny how I never noticed before?
butnut
Old 07-01-2002, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

I think you're crazy! :confused: :alien: I've never noticed this phenomenon before. A couple months ago I thought mine looked a little low too, so I checked it and they were 20 something, and I put it up to 30 something... my memory is a bit foggy. I didn't noticed any difference. Maybe it's all in your head...
Old 07-01-2002, 10:31 PM

Depends on which tires are under/over-inflated. Run them at 50 psi and see if you notice a difference then.

I notice a bit of change in psi, depending on the driving conditions. Over bumps and dry-steering, tire pressure makes a big difference. I had them at 40 psi and the bumps, of course, were quite noticeable.

Down to about 33 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rear seems to work best for me.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:42 PM

Heck, my boggers never seen anything above 20, but usually stay around 4psi. Downfall to running them at high PSI is that you will wear the centers out faster, but as a long time user of the great swamper bias, once a tsl or sx gets over half used, you gotta run them at 25psi or the sound of the side lugs pounding on the pavement will drive ya nutty!
Old 07-01-2002, 11:29 PM

Hey Vince. It's in my wife's head too. We both notice a big difference. She's kinda paranoid about tire pressure due to a blow out we had in my Datsun. I had 60 series low profiles where low tire pressure will create a blow out. I learned from a tire tech how it happened. The sidewalls are thin(er) so with low pressure, the sidewall will start to rub inside the tire. There are spots that will contact each other and will keep rubbing the same spot as you drive. It also gets hot further breaking down the rubber in this spot. The spot eventually breaks through and a blow out occurs. He showed me my tire off the rim. It was full of rubber crumbs. I know my Runners tires have a taller sidewall so it should'nt be an issue. I just look to see if my tires are black and round. I'll let my wife inform me when it's a few pounds low...she got the eye for it.
butnut
Old 07-02-2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
I think you're crazy! :confused: :alien: I've never noticed this phenomenon before. A couple months ago I thought mine looked a little low too, so I checked it and they were 20 something, and I put it up to 30 something... my memory is a bit foggy. I didn't noticed any difference. Maybe it's all in your head...
Hey HBoss,

I was just wondering, wouldn't it make more sense to have 35 psi in the front rather than the rear since the front of the vehicle is heavier with the engine. Just a thought I could be wrong. I've got 33 psi all around.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:55 AM

Generally speaking, I would probably agree w/you. But lately I been carrying a lot of tools and crap in the back and people been actually using my rear seat.

If I had no "luggage" whatsoever I'd even them out to 33 myself.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:58 PM

Every crack has a name

I decided not long ago to increase tire pressure in my 31x12.5 BFG muds on my 94 truck from 23 rear/25 front to 25 rear 28 front. Now I feel every crack, dip, rut, rock, and bug thats on the road. Dont even think about driving washboard roads with that pressure. Talk about making ones eye twitch. I think I want to go back down but am not sure if its safe to drive with so little pressure. Im 95% highway these days since my car barfed out a rod. Air pressure makes a big difference in the feel of my 90 runner too. I stay at 40 psi on the michelin all terrains. My car, 87 GP when it was alive ran on BFG HR4s at 45 psi. When they got down to 38 the responsiveness to turning was way diminished. Not that they would not turn, but that I had to do more than flick my wrist to feel it.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

you know now that I think about it, I don't even know what mine is at....:eek:
Old 07-03-2002, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by sleepy1405
you know now that I think about it, I don't even know what mine is at....:eek:
Whoa...ya better check...at least once a month...unless you have good eyes :alien: . My max pressure is 35lb on my BFG's...33lbs seems to be my number. Low pressure will eat more gas too.
butnut