Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

I changed the fuel filter on my 4Runner today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed the fuel filter on my 4Runner today.

Hope for the best, expect the worse.

What should be a 5 minute job took about 25 minutes because getting everything lined up is a pain. Why Toyota did you choose to put the bolt for adjusting the bracket on the TOPSIDE of the filter. If it was on the bottom, where it should be then you could just finger tighten the compression fittings, bracket nuts, and bracket position bolt. But no, you have to decide on bracket position for before mounting it and/or snugging the compression fittings. Regardless, it's and easy job, just that one bit would have made it literally 5 minutes.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i need to do mine what kind of wrench did you use ?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

why, its a lifetime part...

.j/k I need to do mine this summer too, sounds like fun, any noticeable differences yet?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem... it was hard to line up corectly. I even turned the truck on once and gas spew everywheres!! haha
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you need those crows foot wrench ends to change it? (At least on a 2nd gen)
Old 03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i bet if i try it something is going to break

Last edited by Elton; 05-03-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Don't you need those crows foot wrench ends to change it? (At least on a 2nd gen)
Yes.. you definitely need one, I wouldn't trust a regular box end wrench, if you screwed up those compression fittings there'd be a lot more work to do. The hardest part was lining up the bracket, compression fittings, and filter position all in one go. Make the the alignment of the comp. fittings is natural, you're doing everything in your power to make sure those are sorted, the rest is just holding it in place. I fired up my 4Runner, took some cranking since the fuel system completely empty for the most part, the fuel system just keeps on leaking while you're doing it so it's definitely better to get it done quickly. Where safety glasses, and do NOT use a high heat work lights or other flammable sources while doing this, there is a lot of vapor being introduced. I even fired up a fan in front of the truck just to blow out the vapor because I was working in my garage. Have a catch pan and some rags handy too. Being in the fire service I've seen my fair share of fires started in the garage, I didn't want to risk seeing my colleagues arriving at my house unexpectedly!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you have a 3rd gen?? cause i just changed mine and all i needed was a wrench. it was actually the easiest one i have ever done.. but is was on a 2001 4runner if yours wasnt.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just did the fuel filter on my 94 truck on thursday. man, its a pain in the ass. good thing i wont need to for another 60,000
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to use a flare nut or crow's foot wrench, but when working around flared fittings like on the fuel lines, it is wise to use the proper tool or you could cause yourself some serious headache when a crescent wrench rounds off a corner or two. Also it is a PITA but you should wait until the flared fittings are attached before you tighten up the clamp around the filter itself (I agree this was a dumb design, but now we just deal with it.....and lucky you don't need to change this part very often). If you don't, you'll put unnecessary stress on the line which could result in a leak later or at least difficulty getting the flares to seat.

You can see that the bolt comes down from the top:

A wrench like this makes that blind bolt alot easier:
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You don't have to use a flare nut or crow's foot wrench, but when working around flared fittings like on the fuel lines, it is wise to use the proper tool or you could cause yourself some serious headache when a crescent wrench rounds off a corner or two. Also it is a PITA but you should wait until the flared fittings are attached before you tighten up the clamp around the filter itself (I agree this was a dumb design, but now we just deal with it.....and lucky you don't need to change this part very often). If you don't, you'll put unnecessary stress on the line which could result in a leak later or at least difficulty getting the flares to seat.

You can see that the bolt comes down from the top:

A wrench like this makes that blind bolt alot easier:
I don't think that wrench could get all the way around the bolt though. It'd be a tight fit. I just positioned it where the most compressions fittings sit best, then took the filter down one last time, tightened the frame, and then bolted it all back up. Toyota would have freed up about 15 minutes of my time had the just put the bolt on the bottom. I guess Toyota doesn't care about my time anyways, judging by where the oil filter is.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

I've been aiming to do mine (2nd gen) for a while, but I just can't get those damn fittings off the end of it. What possessed them to make it such a pain!?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 PM

recommend using flarenut wrench so you dont round-off the compression fittings. use another wrench (17mm or 19mm) at the filter openning and do a scissor-action to untighten.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Yeah, thread dig, but I need some info pertaining to this.

In my intro thread I mentioned a fuel smell. I found it today. On the engine side of the fuel filter, there's a leak. I'm wondering if this is something that I can attempt to first fix by snugging it up, or if I'd be risking screwing up the fittings.

Here's the leak:
Name:  DSC00981.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  DSC00982.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  67.9 KB

I'd also like to know more about the flare nut wrench. Size for this job? I don't own one, but need some e-tape for another project I'm working on at the moment, so I figured I'd just got buy both at the same time. Help if you can, much appreciated.

Last edited by The Ruckus; 04-24-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Its tough to tell from the pictures but is the leak coming from the threads or from the line? The line looks slightly bent/damaged.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Hard to tell. Fuel is dripping off the rusted nut. Guess I need to wipe it dry and watch it.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM

If it is the threads you could try to snug it up but make sure you clean the threads of that rust. If it is the threads I would just replace the fuel filter to make life "easier". Correct me if I am wrong but didnt you just get this 4Runner, its a limited right? So a good excuse to do a quick new used vehicle maintenance. Just ,make sure you really clean up those threads.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:00 PM

X2 on the flare wrench! The flare wrenches only have one point out of 6 cut out. You slide it with the one side cut out, push it over the nut and it comes right off! I have one and I am glad I do. It makes those fuel filters a breeze. I had mine changed the first time I did it in under 10 minutes. Including taking off the plastic cover.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm in line at advance right now picking up the filter. Good common sense advice, I'll follow it.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Oh one more thing: SIZE! Duh.....
Most have 2 different sizes. I think mine is a 12 and a 10. If my memory serves correctly, 12 is the one you want. I would check, but I don't have it on my person right now.

Quick Reply: I changed the fuel filter on my 4Runner today.