Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hurting the E-Locker/Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurting the E-Locker/Truck

I am thinking about doing the E-locker mod I found in the tech section. However I was wondering if it would hurt it(locker or truck) if I left it on basically all the time. I like the idea of having both rear tires getting power all the time but did want to pay to have a locker installed since I am short on money right now. Oh btw, this is in a 97 taco SR5 4x4 if that makes a difference.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Probably not a good idea to have the diff locked all the time. It will put a lot of strain on tires and drivetrain everytime you turn, unless you only drive on low traction surfaces like, sand, snow, ice, etc. It will also screw up your handling for the most part.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

If you leave the locker on all the time on-road you are going to have massive problems. That locker is a full spool when locked meaning that both tires will turn at the same ratio at all times even through turns. This means that the wheels can't compensate for one going faster than the other through a turn which will completely wear out your tires. Second you are probably going to burn up the gears because the wheels will be trying to turn at different rates and the tires won't allow it, putting a lot of stress on the rear axle and gears. If you want a cheap locker, go with a lunchbox locker such as the Aussie Locker, detroit, or lock rite. These lockers are automatic lockers meaning they will engage and disengage when needed to compensate tire ratios through turns. They lock up off-road when they sense a wheel spin, and they also have no switches or anything. You put the locker in and that's it. The only downside is they are horrible for snow and ice becasue they won't unlock leaving you spinning both rear tires and sending you out of control, they are also noisey. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

having the e-locker locked all the time is no big deal. its just like having a Detroit locker or a welded diff.

its different, but not bad.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:02 PM

Thats what I was thinking RTdawgs. I know that a detroit locker or other type is cheap but b/c of the labor it is more than I want to spend. Oh well put it on the waiting list of mods.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
having the e-locker locked all the time is no big deal. its just like having a Detroit locker or a welded diff.

its different, but not bad.
Off-road it isn't that bad, but I would hate to have to drive a fully locked rear-end as a daily driver, plus it's still gonna tear up some tires on-road as well. I just think it's pointless to do that unless the truck is made for strictly off-road use, because on-road characteristics are going to be horrible. Installation can be done on your own for most lunchbox lockers. If you change out the entire carrier that's when you need the help of professionals. The lockrite and aussie lockers are just a matter of changing out the spider gears which equals cheaply priced locker and do it yourself installation. Doesn't seem to costly to me
Old 03-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

Being locked full time will wear the tires out faster but won't really harm the driveline unless you run +35" boggers at 4 psi for paved tight turns. With normal tires and pressure the tires will slide or hop through turns long before any driveline dammage occurs.

A Spool/Welded/Permanently locked rear diff is obviously not the ideal setup for a daily driver but it will work and last long term as long as you don't get stupid with tire selection. The grip of tire to surface has to be the weak link on pavement. Our 8" rear axles are extreemly overbuilt and can handle a little extra torque on the shafts before the wheel hops and relieves the stress.

Driving with wheel hop takes a little practice though. You will get loose in the rear more easily in rain, snow or ice under power but we don't drive F1 cars so its not that big of an issue.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:20 AM

If you decide to go with it locked all the time, just weld the differential. That's cheaper by far.

As others mentioned, lots of tire wear and very poor street personality. You also tend to catch the attention of cops by scuffing your tires while turning. I wouldn't do it for a regularly driven street vehicle, but I'd consider it for a specialty vehicle that sees limited street use.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:34 AM

let me straighten things out, do you already have the E-locker, or are looking at getting one, if you already have one just lock it and go, of course you have to do the wiring mods to let you lockit in 2wd high. If you dont have one, then just get a regular locker like said before. with a locked rear, you just have to modify you driving habits a bit, but you get used to it.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:46 AM

I did the mod a year ago and turning on pavement is not bad at all and you can't tell unless you make sharp turns. I figure it is strong enough and sometimes forget it is on. I have been stuck with my wheels spinning at 50+mph and no problems with the locker.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan
If you leave the locker on all the time on-road you are going to have massive problems.

:pat: :wtf:
Old 03-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hoodlum
I think you're a little new here to be burning bridges. You might want to think before you post stupid comments like that. I'm a nice guy and won't hold you over the coals for that comment, but you post that kinda crap about what some of the other members here have said, you might get a little more than you bargained for. Maybe it won't cause "massive" problems, but for someone who is going to drive daily with this setup, it's not recommended. I'm sorry for any confusion in my post, but there is no need for a comment such as you posted, especially from a newbie to the forum.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:16 AM

Newbie eh?

Originally Posted by Jonathan
I think you're a little new here to be burning bridges. You might want to think before you post stupid comments like that. I'm a nice guy and won't hold you over the coals for that comment, but you post that kinda crap about what some of the other members here have said, you might get a little more than you bargained for. Maybe it won't cause "massive" problems, but for someone who is going to drive daily with this setup, it's not recommended. I'm sorry for any confusion in my post, but there is no need for a comment such as you posted, especially from a newbie to the forum.
Oh geez! Down boy.

Being new to a forum and knowing what your talkin' about is two different things bro. I meant it light heartedly man. I'm glad you won't hold me to the coals for that stupid (I'd suggest you know a little more 'bout a person before you go callin' em stupid) comment. I won't hold you to the coals for posting somehting totally WRONG. Sounds to me that you have no personal experience drivin' a spool or welded diff. (I may be wrong cause I'm just assuming) New or not, you might consider knowing what your talkin' bout before responding to someone ?'s I know and understand that your only trying to help but you probably got this guy all worried bout crap that is going to be just fine. (as other have stated) He may need to adjust his habits but as far as breaking stuff, he'll only wear tires faster. And :wtf: is gettin' more than I bargained for supposed to mean Mr. 1.64 posts per day??? :pat:

Now I will agree with you that someone that doesn't know, probably needs to be advised that it's not recomended for daily drivin'. They also need to know the particular drawbacks of it. Quicker wearing tires and not good on ice or slipery surfaces cuase it tends to get sidways quickly or when peeling out (wich is also a plus depending on how you look at it).

I'll also admit that I should of maybe offered an explanation to my :pat: :wtf: post but that's exactly what crossed my mind when I read your post so that's what I posted. Those smileys are there to use. Or didn't you know that, Mr. Veteran? (only 11 months longer than me )

Another thing I'll also agree with you on is..."there is no need for a comment such as you posted" but I'm talking bout your "massive problems" comment.

Now, with all that out of the way...

Happy wheelin' brotha
Old 03-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

First of all I never called you stupid, I merely said your comment was stupid and unneeded. I even admit fault for my previous statement, in both post after my original. I'm not here to start a fight,but why would you post two derogatory smilies regarding my post when you never gave an explanation yourself, to help aid in the further knowledge of the situation. Posting stuff to make another forum member "look bad" is childish, especially when, since you are such an expert, never gave any insight into your wealth of knowledge about the subject. And when I was referring to you being a newbie, I wasn't talking about your experience with vehicles, but rather your status here as a member. I know there are a lot of newbies that know a heck of a lot more than me about vehicles, but when you are a newbie and come on here trying to flame someone who has been here a while, it's kind of disrespectful. Basically if you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything. You're wasting my time, your time and the time of the individual who originally posted. With that said, i'm sorry again if I mislead anyone, I should have thought out my response more thoroughly. And I'm also sorry that any of these post even happened. Good day to all.

Last edited by Jonathan; 03-25-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Thanks for everyones imput. Figure I will go ahead and do the wiring mod, get my fill of non peg-leg burn outs and such then just take it off until I really need it.

I'm new here too but, isn't it just being nice not to hijack someones thread. Shouldn't yall take that to PMs.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97taco4x4
Thanks for everyones imput. Figure I will go ahead and do the wiring mod, get my fill of non peg-leg burn outs and such then just take it off until I really need it.

I'm new here too but, isn't it just being nice not to hijack someones thread. Shouldn't yall take that to PMs.
It is, and I'm sorry for all that mess above, it was mainly my fault. We've had a problem with flaming on the board lately and this is a prime example. I hope you get what you need and I hope you enjoy the new locker
And welcome aboard . I'm sure you'll have the chance to spend a lot more money and go broke like the rest of us
Old 03-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hoodlum
IMOP...that was far far far from a flame. They are just smilies...
Old 03-25-2004, 01:02 PM

My dad has a full size Bronco with front & rear Detroits. I hate driving it on paved mountain roads. You have to slow down a lot to go around all of the turns and if the road is icy it's even more fun. We only use it for off-roading so it's ok. If you are going to be driving on road a lot the e-locker will eventually pay itself because you will be saving tires. My dad is kinda that he just didn't dish out the extra cash for an air locker, maybe someday.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 PM

No massive problems here.......in the diff that is.....

prime example of flaming???????

Last edited by Hyperlite; 03-25-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

See here's what I dont get. The switch is there for a reason. There is no reason to leave it on all the time for on road driving. If you're drag racing or just feel the need for a locked diff, turn it on. Its an easy mod. I even did it! But why not just turn it on when you need it, Like 4WD (or headlights).

On a side note, when you do the mod, tape the wire you add down to something. Mine will rattle against the kick panel every once and a while.

Quick Reply: Hurting the E-Locker/Truck