Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hubs

One or both of my hubs rattle when on free,driving on the road (usually when I hit bumps, any size). Also my right one (or so I think a friend told me he only heard it from the right one) cracks, he also said its pretty loud. But after taking a closer look I see that the boot behind the wheel in back of the hub has a inch in a half hole/ slash in it, would this cause this to happen? Does that boot hold grease? If so where can I get a new boot and what exactly is
it called (is there a specia name)?

Thanks,
Mario
Old 07-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that boot covers the outer CV joint of the drive shaft (aka axle shaft, half shaft, cv axle, etc.).

they do make boot replacement kits, but your CV is most likely toast and will need to be replaced.

could have gotten torn while wheelin just from getting caught on something. could have just gotten old and rotted. the boot gets streched pretty far when you turn.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 PM

Alright thanks little, I found a reman one for 200 made by A1 CARDONE is this a good price?Also found another one but it doesnt say if it is reman or not it is from BECK/ARNLEY and goes for 154, which one of these is better? Also since it is rebuild it should come with everything right (boots, already lubed, etc.)? Also are Warn hubs any good, or should I stick with my aisin?

Thanks,
Mario
Old 07-16-2005, 04:50 PM

A1 Cardone is partsamerica.com / AdvanceAuto's house brand i think...isn't it? if so, i once bought a set of their remanned brake calipers and they worked OK.

that's about all i know about either company.

i'm not sure what a good price is...you could try getting a used one from a junkyard, if you want to save some bucks...

but, yeah, either of those should come with everything assembled and pretty much ready to bolt on i would think.

as far as your hubs go,the stock aisins you have are some of the best hubs ever made...i would recommend not trading them for warns. are you having trouble with yours?
Old 07-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Alright, thanks agian I will just buy the cheaper set. My aisins are alright but the one is very hard to turn (the side the cv is bad) which just could be the problem but a buddy of mine has brand new warn hubs just sitting on his workbench collecting dust, so I just wanted to know if he ever gave them to me,

Thanks,
Mario
Old 07-16-2005, 05:17 PM

before you buy new ones, take a look at the article below on servicing the ones you have...they prolly just need some TLC. you might want to also repack yuor wheel bearings while you are at it. the second link is a write-up on that.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...d/hub_rebuild/

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/front_end/
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Go to Carquest
I bought new (reman) front drive axles for $66 each (exchange) and they come with a lifetime guaranty - even the boots. You can't screw around rebuiding your own for that. They came pre-greased and ready to bolt in.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:45 AM

carquest generally has good stuff...i'd agree on going there for drive shafts.

just to be clear, though, i wasn't talking about rebuilding the drive shafts...rather the locking hubs...those are very easy to rebuild...and you should do that from time to time anyway...and repacking the wheel bearings (which you should also do from time to time anyway) while at it.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info, I bought a reman one for 69 dollars (with core) yesterday and put it in yesterday. It was a PITA, those cone washers that
hold the hub on would not come off for anything. Then I had a hard time trying to get the old axle out. But the new one went it pretty easy, but I had a very hard time trying to get the shaft out enough to fit the spacer and the snap-ring. It about took me half the day! Also this did solve my problem, but I still have that little rattle in the front, does anyone elses truck make this sound?

Thanks,
Mario

Last edited by ttr125mar; 07-18-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

I bought some used Warn Premium Hubs and installed 'em. On Free they make a faint rattling noise while on the road, nothing too bad. I can only hear them when I'm rolling next to a wall or high curb w/ the stereo off. CV boots are fine, bolts are still tight, 4Hi and 4Lo work fine, wheels haven't fallen off yet...I guess they're okay then. (I hope)