Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to tell if radiator has been replaced or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell if radiator has been replaced or not

Hello thanks for the ad. I just bought a 99 4Runner 4wd limited with 182k. I have read a lot about the pink milkshake issues and I am really paranoid. The main issue is that I'm not sure if it is the original radiator or not. It looks in pretty good shape. I would be surprised if it is the original by the looks of it but is there a serial number or someway to find out if it's been replaced to be 100% sure. Checked vehicle report no help there. Also I will be driving from Florida to Colorado soon and am thinking I should put an external tranny cooler on just in case. Thoughts....
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM

Hmmm - not sure how to tell if replaced.

Originally Posted by Surfward
Hello thanks for the ad. I just bought a 99 4Runner 4wd limited with 182k. I have read a lot about the pink milkshake issues and I am really paranoid. The main issue is that I'm not sure if it is the original radiator or not. It looks in pretty good shape. I would be surprised if it is the original by the looks of it but is there a serial number or someway to find out if it's been replaced to be 100% sure. Checked vehicle report no help there. Also I will be driving from Florida to Colorado soon and am thinking I should put an external tranny cooler on just in case. Thoughts....
Congrats on the 4runner !
I replaced mine the 1st year I had it with one from Advanced Auto for around 105 bux with an online discount.
I don't know if that online discount is still around, and I am on my phone so can't readily look it up or cut & paste it, but it should be a response to one of my early posts.
Cheap indurance to change it , IMHO.
Happy Motoring !
Britt
Old 04-20-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
And it matters how? It's trashed. You wouldn't be reusing it anyway.

How could an external tranny cooler possibly be a bad idea?

EDIT: Sorry. I thought I read you had the pink milkshake. Never mind. Stop being so paranoid. If it ain't broke don't fix it. $105 is cheap huh? I wish I had pockets as deep as yours.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-20-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Not having learned to drive a automatic transmission I don`t own one

If I did the external trans cooler would be my first step.

I can understand the reason to save manufacturing costs of building them that way.

Yes to some of us $100.00 is cheap when it comes to my Toyota Parts bills $100.00 is cheaper then $950.00 every time.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
I would agree it is cheap $100 insurance for a rad and radiator fluid! or spend a $1000 for a tranny, rad and engine flush and all rubber gaskets later.... Chances are it was never changed, if you look at the rad mounting hardware it should have paint on it, if it had been replaced you would see where a socket had taken the paint off the bolt heads. A Tranny cooler is a good idea in hot climates, but if you drive your vehicle in cool climates it is ideal to have the rad fluid warm the tranny fluid to assist with smooth shifting on cool mornings. The problem is the Tranny pumps ATF into the rad fluid well running, and when you shut the vehicle off the Rad fluid pumps its mix back into the tranny, next time you drive it kills the tranny. I caught mine on the mix when ATF came out the rad overflow when I parked it. Very cheap insurance IMO, because it is not a matter of IF, it's a when it will happen.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:39 AM

Ok I will check the rad bolts. I will be using this t4r in the mountains of Colorado so the external tranny cooler, cooling the fluid too much is a concern. I read some previous threads discussing a certain ex tran coooler that somehow doesn't allow cooler/ too cool tranny fluid into the transmission. Kind of confused I guess it has something to due with viscosity and thickness? Is this type of cooler anymore difficult to install? Thanks I'm i noob!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:57 AM

I don't think the tranny cooler can cool the fluid to much well driving, perhaps if it is big enough. The main concern is the Rad fluid will not warm the tranny fluid well parked warming up on Cold days and will cause a hard shift for the 1st 5minutes of driving = not good for tranny. If your in warm climate areas that don't see snow you could eliminate the ATF rad line completely and just use a cooler. This doesn't mean the rad won't fail but atleast it won't take out the tranny at the same time. I plow and run 33" x 12.5" tires no cooler, no problems, just replace the rad and run good clean ATF problem solved.
*I should also mention I went up and down the mountains in BC twice on 1 trip putting 10,000km's on my truck in 10 days drive 36 hours straight some days except for fill ups travelling across Canada and back, still on the same tranny with factory setup.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 04-21-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:04 AM

Ok so maybe new rad is the best bet. Is there a particular rad that works in the 99 t4r that doesn't seem to have/create the pink milkshake issue. I think mainly it's the Toyota replacement rad that's the problem correct? Suggestions?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 AM

They are all susceptible to failure eventually, so I just grabbed a "premium" rad from a local Rad shop, I plan to change mine every 250,000km's or every 10 years. I am quite sure the rad fluid not being changed contributes to the corrosion of the Aluminum line and fitting inside the radiator.

You might consider replacing your acc belts with OEM since you will be making lots of room in there and some of the adjuster bolts can fuse together requiring a wire brush and a good soaking in penetrating oil to break them free, use lots of anti-seize upon reassembly.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Surfward

A few years ago, my rad bit the dust on a trip to Colorado. I don't usually recommend a Stealership, but I have to give a big thumbs-up to the Toyota dealership in Colorado Springs, CO. Check-out their customer reviews and it will give you a good idea of what to expect. Highly recommend if you're in that area and need a road repair. BTW, Never had a "milkshake" problem on any of my 3 4Runners.

Last edited by cajieboy; 04-22-2016 at 05:45 AM.