Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to install an ARB for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^whipped

haha kidding. not to hijack but it looks like the vendor of the clears is flexible in the price for quantity. i'm going to email them PM me if you're interested in buying a set and I'll get a group buy going
Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by FogRunner

Was the wife at work when ya took that picture ?? If my wife came home and saw I had large car parts like a bumper, winch and support hardware in the house ON THE CARPET I would end up in the doghouse BIGTIME.

FOG
I also clocked the winch and built the front struts in there....... Just gotta be careful.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJet
NO mine was the newest Prado version. I got it just of the ship from Australia last November. They brought only 5 for North and South America. I have the same frame mounting subframe and even everyone around suggested to do what you did, I found a better way from my perspective. Being an Aerospace Engineer sometimes get a different thinking...
I did installed winch on my truck after the bumper was on even ARB strongly suggested to do it before putting the bumper on. I even had a call when the rep said it would not fit and it actually did, tight (1/4" gap when I slide it in), but it did work. They were surprised. Looking at my wife's Runner and the fact that the gap is much larger it would be an easy to do so. Just my personal experience.
Okay, your bumper is really special, fair enough. However, it is not the bumper we are referring too, and if your mounts are indeed like the ones you pictured they are not like the Tacoma mounts. The Tacoma mounts fit SNUG around the frame. The end plates are welded on the sides; therefor, if you did some how keep them intact after cutting the sides off, there is no way there is enough weld left to keep them structurally useful. I agree for serious duty you should box the end of the frame, and eventually I will.

As far as installing the winch the way you did, you yourself are pretty much explaining what a pain it was. Whats the point? Yes it can be done that way. It just makes a lot more sense to do it the way ARB and everyone else recommends. Even if you have to remove the bumper it's six bolts.

Also, not to be a dick, but if your gonna brag about how you're an Aerospace Engineer and your different way of thinking, maybe your different way of thinking should lead you to use spell check so you at least sound intelligent when your insinuating as to how intelligent you really are. Just some food for thought..........
Old 02-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
^^whipped

haha kidding. not to hijack but it looks like the vendor of the clears is flexible in the price for quantity. i'm going to email them PM me if you're interested in buying a set and I'll get a group buy going
The lights are really good quality and they were great guys to deal with, I have no problem endorsing these guys. Best of luck to you guys on them.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM

any update on the fender flares and how close the bumper matches?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by twitchee2
also quite curious to see how this one lines up
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by twitchee2
Forgot about you sorry. I drove it to work today, so I'll walk out at lunch and shoot the photos.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by thedude42
also quite curious to see how this one lines up
Here you go guys. Let me know if you need any other views for reference. Sorry it's really dirty.
Attached Thumbnails How to install an ARB for dummies-img_1510-1-.jpg   How to install an ARB for dummies-img_1511-1-.jpg