Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How I spent the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How I spent the weekend

From Wednesday till yesterday (Sunday) I was attending the 2nd annual Colorado 4Runner Jamboree. I think it was my favorite vacation ever. There was a total of 18 Toyota 4x4s.

1 Mini Truck (me)
2 Tacomas
1 2nd Gen Runner ('95 I think)
14 3rd gen Runners

It was 3 days of hard wheeling from 8:30 am to about 6:30 pm each day. At every turn was some of the best mountain scenerey in the world and very interesting and well preserved ghost towns and mining buildings. I was amazed by some of the sights I saw, especially in the ghost town of Animas Forks where there are several complete homes that are safe to enter and walk through. One of these is a relativly large 2 story where you can go up the 110 year old staircase and into every bedroom upstairs.

The nights were spent around a couple of lanterns bull$#!ting and sipping cold beverages. This fire ban really bites but lanterns are better than nothing. A young brown bear visited out camp several times looking for food. I got some pictures of it in the early morning light Sunday. There were Toyotas from as far away as Northern California and Wisconsin. 2 came from Texas and 3 from Arizona. Ages ranged from 10 months to umm... maybe close to 55.

During this same time there was a gathering of 100 or more full size Heeps and we were worried about them clogging up the trails. This really didn't cause us any problems since all the FSJs we saw were parked with their hoods up fighting vapor lock, overheating or other mechanical/reliability issues.

I took lots of pictures and a few mpegs. The best of my pictures are on Webshots.2002 CO4RJ Pictures I'm not sure about putting the mpegs up on the net but i'll see what I can do.

Huge thanks go out to Jeff Bathke for putting this whole shindig together. Also thanks to Stevenson Toyota West in Lakewood Colorado for donating 20 hats and 20 keychains to be given away at the event. Also thanks to ARB for donating a 40% off certificate that was won by Sam (I don't know his last name) who's Runner is 1/2 ARB stuff already.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice pictures Matt, looks like a great time was had by all.
That would be cool to explore the old ghost towns.

How is the air at that elevation? I suppose you are use to it, but about the highest I have got in WA. state is 7,000 feet up at Crystal Mountains ski area at their restaurant at the very top of the ski run.

You guy's have a lot higher elevations there. For example our hightest point is the top of Mt. Rainier at 14,411 feet.
And you can only drive upto the 5,200 foot level at the most of it.
Rest is climbing or summiting the peak.

So that bear loves smores 'eh
Nothing like seeing a big crowd of Toy's gathered.

Looking forward to the vids when you get a chance to get them up.
I saw Ziad's last night.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:46 PM

Very cool! Sounds awesome. I am glad that you had a great time. At least you had fun this weekend. I too can't wait to see the videos! Remember: words are good, pictures are better, videos are the best...yeah...that's it! Thanks for the info. :fireman:
Old 08-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome pics. Matt. Were most of the 4Runners stock and how did they perform at that altitude? I really liked the pic. of all of the vehicles together. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Banned

The altitude was very high compared to the trails in the rest of the country. We were above 13,000 feet every day but the Toyotas engines never hiccuped. Friday and Saturday we were running pass after pass that was 12,500 or more. The fuel injection systems on all of the rigs but mine worked flawlessly even the supercharged guys didn't complain about detonation that I heared of. I had the only carbureator in the group but my truck ran fine also, its used to those high altitutes though. I run 85 octane, it seems to like that best. Up high like that there is less oxygen so less fuel and less explosive fuel is better. Power output is reduced, you do have to keep the revs up a little higher than normal but that's why we have 4low in the transfer cases.

There were a few stockers in the group and some highly modified Toys to and everything in between. Trail leader Jeff the Marmot has a 2000 Runner with a $1500 custom aluminum front bumper that holds an $800+ 9500 pound winch, 35 inch MTR tires, 4.88 gears, front ARB air locker, rediculously strong aluminum skid plates, Rockstomper rear tire carrier/ bumper, Newfield CV joints, Supercharger, and Sway a Way coilover front suspension. Its argueably the best built 3rd gen 4Runner ever and its always getting better. On the other end of the line there was several guys running stockers with some extra lights hung here and there or maybe rock sliders with open diffs. I'm kinda in the middle with body lift winch and rear locker. My 31x10.5 tires seemed like the smallest in the group but I made the hardest obstacle on the 2nd try.

What I want to know is when is the 1st annual NW4RJ (Northwest 4Runner Jamboree) going to be?? and will beat up old mini trucks be welcome? I have got to fix a little bit of stuff but i'll be ready when you guys are.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually Matt we had two runs from June of 2000, and 2001 where people came from out of state.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/jam.htm

http://64.38.120.27/runs/jj2001/jj2001.htm

I got sick at the one last year and had to head home. Poison oak or ivy, sunburn, fever, you name it, I got it the first night there.

Both were very tame, as most have near stock rigs.
I would like to plan something for next August though up around the area off of FS roads 70 & 72.
The Naches is up at #70. There is so much to explore up there, and there are very tight runs for those who are equipped for it.

I would not be able to run all the trails in my rig up there though.
Corey
Old 08-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Paul H.
Were most of the 4Runners stock

No. You had myself and the Marmot. Need I say anymore.

There was one or two stockers. But they even had 32" tires.