95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hit counter led me to a cool site

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hit counter led me to a cool site

I have a hit counter on the bottom of my website.
I check it from time to time to find out how someone came across my website.

This morning I found a surfer who found me from this site, as my link is on there to my site.
http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/

Not sure if this guy is a member here or not, but he has quite a bit of Surf info.
Check out his picture section of some Japan wheeling.
Looks like they have some pretty gnarly trails in Japan.

Also check out the cool cargo box he made for his rig.
He built it around a scuba tank, looks like the box holds a lot of gear.

He also has a VIN # search tool on his website.

Man, these off road pics are nice, excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool site Corey. For some reason it never occured to me that with the correct adapters I could use my SCUBA tank as an on-board air supply. The dang things fill to 3000 psi.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I would never use a scuba tank though.
They hold 3000 PSI, and if the regulator breaks off, you have a deadly missile.

Also for the size, a C02 tank like I run will run circles around a scuba tank, even if they are the same size.
You can fit way more C02 into a given tank than you can compressed air.

Also the C02 tanks run about 1000 PSI or less, and don't become rockets.

They are much more safer, and a 10 lb tank like mine can fill up 35 or more tires from 10 PSI back up to 30 PSI.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Cool site and nice box. Looks like he used Lee's and J.D.'s plans as a starting point.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:39 AM

Don't know how to attach a pic but there's a blue 2nd gen 4Runner with flares. Front flares have mudguards that look like it was made for it. Rears have the flare separate from the bumper mudguard, not like Bushwhacker which is one piece that covers the fender and bumper. The wind deflecter/rear spoiler is also one I haven't seen on 2nd gens. And I was wondering if the reverse lights IN the bumper is stock(for a Hilux Surf) or custom? Anyone know if and where we can get these in the US? Thanks guys!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would be wrong with using a scuba tank and only going to 1000 or 1500 PSI??
Old 03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I'd have to disagree a bit on the SCUBA thing - it would take the neck of the tank or the actual valve to break in order for the tank to be deadly. If the regulator broke off and the valve was open, it may hurt your ears but it won't take on missile-like properties, even if it wasn't secured.

Unless of course we mean the same thing by what I call the valve and what you're calling the reg.

But you're right, I'd agree that with all else being equal, a CO2 system would be more practical.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Those pictures are all from here where I live in Okinawa. I recognize several of the people in some of the photos!

Those pictures were taken at the northern end of the island. Lots of undeveloped land.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah Tom, I meant the valve

Dave, with a scuba tank the pressure gets lower to fill up your tires or run an air tool as the volume of air in the tank drops.

With C02 the pressure remains the same regardless of volume in the tank.
My tank is getting near empty, yet the gauge still says about 1000 PSI.

With a C02 tank the way you tell how much you have left is to weigh it on a scale.
I have the weight wrote on the empty tank on the back of it, and when I last had it filled, I had him put in about 9.5 lb of C02.

I just subtract the total weight from what I wrote on the tank, and I can judge how much I have left.

Woody, those are some beautiful rigs you guy's have over there.
I really like that blue FJ40.
Looks like he has done a little suspension work also to get some better flex out of it, as the cab remains pretty level in this pic here.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Corey,

That is a Japanese guy that works at the base gas station.

I think I'm going to tote my camera around for a day or so and take some pics of the better rigs we have over here. They are EVERYWHERE, both on and off base.

I saw a burgandy 01 model at work the other day, with lots of TRD options from the factory, e.g. TRD grill, ABS TRD steering wheel and other TRD options.

Anyway, I'll post some pics in a few days of the Okinawa Surfs/FJ40/Landcrusiers.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Woody, looking forward to the pics when you get them.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,

I'm a bit confused about your reply about CO2 tanks- volume and pressure are inversely related. Unless you have a CO2 tank that manages to decrease in volume as you use the CO2 inside, there is no way that your tank is almost completely empty and still reading 1000 P.S.I.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

If you read the FAQ over on Power Tanks website, it should state what I said.
www.powertank.com

http://powertank.com/powertank.htm

At least that is what I have read in the past.
My gauge still reads about 1000 PSI when I turn it on, and it is getting near empty.

Steve Sasaki owner of PT can answer this better than me, and if you write him, he will most likely get back to you by tonight.
powertank@powertank.com
Old 03-11-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CO2 is a liquid in the PT. It sublimes when it is released making gas and making the regulator cold. It is more dense in the liquid phase and can potentially store more energy.

Air only gets compressed in the SCUBA tank. No phase change, so you are limited on the potential volume because of a need to jack the pressure way up in a constant volume of the tank.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

I thought sublimation was only from solid to gas, skipping the liquid phase?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

A few quotes from PT

The concept is simple. The POWER TANK™ stores its massive amount of energy as liquid CO2. The liquid CO2 evaporates inside the aluminum cylinder and builds pressure which is released as a vapor gas (compressed air) through the regulator. As the gas is used, more liquid evaporates inside the aluminum cylinder thus regenerating the pressure. Once the cylinder pressure reaches a certain level - normally 700 - 800 p.s.i. - the evaporative process stops until gas pressure is released again. CO2 gas is non toxic, non-corrosive, and totally inert. This means it is safe on your air tools, rubber tires, and metal wheels. And the thermal expansion rate of CO2? - Similar to air.
"How safe is a tank of compressed CO2 in a vehicle?"
The Power Tank uses liquid CO2 gas as its energy source. CO2 is a great energy source because it is an inert, non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-flammable vapor gas. Our aluminum tanks are D.O.T. (Dept. of Transportation) approved. Its tank pressure is relatively low - less than a third of the pressure of a full scuba tank and yet holds more cubic feet of energy in the same size tank. CO2 goes through an evaporative process as it releases its energy. This evaporative process slows the energy release rate meaning that a CO2 tank will not become a high speed rocket like a scuba tank would in the rare event of a valve decapitation.
"Can the Power Tank™ seat tire beads?"
“Hell yeah” and here’s another reason to get a quick release coupler for your hose. One of the advantages of the awesome power of the Power Tank is its ability to quickly and easily seat tire beads without the need to remove the tire or hassle with a tire tourniquet. All you have to do is lift the corner of your vehicle with the unbeaded tire. Get the tire straight and clean on the rim. Remove the core of the wheel stem. Set the outlet pressure of the Power Tank up to 150 to 200 psi. While pulling the tire out towards the bead of the rim push the end of the hose quick release coupler straight over the stem giving the tire a quick blast of air. The sudden rush of air into the tire will push the sides of the tire out and onto the sides of the rim. Hold it there until the tire has “popped” over the rim bead. Remove the hose from the stem and replace the stem core. Reset the tire pressure, lower the jack, and you’re on your way.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Mertzr- you're correct, sublimation implies skipping a physical state. Corey- sorry, didn't realize you end up with enough CO2 pressure to condense into liquid.