Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID conversion on my 97 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID conversion on my 97 4runner

So ive searched to see what people have had to say about doing a HID conversion in the stock headlights and all i can find is people talking about installing the entire projector itself.

Im looking to just do the bulbs and ballasts that fit the H4 bulb base. i don't want to get the entire projector because imo that looks pretty bad...

I guess I can't be too worried about the glare, because the halogens aren't focused either... I would just straight swap out the H4 Silverstars for the H4 HID bulbs....

What is everyones opinion on this subject?? I always hear people talking about glare, but i could car less if its coming from my car, because #1 the halogens glare the same as the HID's would, and that glare is giving me better visibility...
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM

i'm not intimate w/ 97's but having done several hid swaps in diff applications its been my exp that hid bulbs perform best in projector housings, otherwise its just kinda of a waste as far as seeing better..... lots of useless white unfocused light. i guess you do get "cool" factor though....... basically hid bulbs perform the best in housing that have been designed for hid bulbs. (most cars with hid have projectors, i think the older acura tl's being the exception but you can also spot them on the road for that reason).
Old 07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

shirleyda4runner i'm pretty sure has hid's, maybe he'll chime in
Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 PM

you may have to replce the whole housing because the bulb may get to hot for the old housing to handle and may melt it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 PM

If I ever see your half-a HID 4runner throwing up a glare in my direction, I'm going to shoot your headlights with a BB gun.

Seriously, just do it right. Get a proper set up and adjust them accordingly.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 PM

Yes, you should do it the right way to get the full benefit of HIDs. And yes, it does cost $300+ to find a complete set of projectors, ballasts and bulbs off a wrecked Audi or Mercedes.

However, you will still get some increased lighting performance over stock with a cheap HID kit you just slap in. It will essentially turn your head lamps into over powered fogs, but it won't be total wash.

I found decent kits on Honda Tech for $160 shipped:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1847971

I was thinking about picking one up myself, considering Raybrig H4 halogen bulbs cost nearly $100 a pair. Also, I would think that if you added one of these cheap HID kits to an aftermarket driving lamp, like Hella 500s or IPF 968s, you would get some real nice results because of the simple, symmetrical housing.

Originally Posted by killa b
you may have to replce the whole housing because the bulb may get to hot for the old housing to handle and may melt it.
Dead wrong. HIDs put out less heat than a halogen.

Last edited by Midget96; 07-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM

its true, HIDs run cooler than their halogen friends...

having the light be 3x brighter roughly, amounts to a TON more light than a halogen light even if it is unfocused...

correct????
Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 PM

I got mine from these guys http://www.xenonlightsource.com/index.htm They have been great, they offer multiple temps. and they also offer low or low and high beam applications. I did get flashed for the lights a couple of times but got them adjusted and no more issues. I did do the high and low beam ones, but i dont know if they are worth the extra money. If you are going to get or already have a set of nice fogs or driving lights you will be fine with the low only. Going from driving with these and going to a car with stock bulbs is like driving in the dark to me.

Last edited by Jerm; 07-03-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 PM

ya, i think they run cooler but still super hot when you touch the lense. i know this from exp, again.

you don't need beemer, benz, lex, etc kits. just get a kit off ebay for $120, they work grt, just get one from japan not korea or taiwan. and, you should be able to buy a set of aftermarket projectors for about another $100 on ebay (i have not checked though).
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ooja3k
its true, HIDs run cooler than their halogen friends...

having the light be 3x brighter roughly, amounts to a TON more light than a halogen light even if it is unfocused...

correct????
IMHO an unfocused HID is a road hazzard.

Jamming an HID "conversion" bulb into a stock halogen housing is for the "2fast" crowd.

Do it right - a complete assembly.
And doing high/lo fight is NOT cheap. There's a reason that many vehicle manufs dont use HID on the high side....
Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I converted my headlights to HID a few weeks ago and I have to say that I am VERY happy with the results. But I did mine a little different (I was going to post a full review and install FAQ, I guess I need to do that pretty quick!).

Basically in a nutshell there are a few types of HID.

1: ballast and bulbs (in this case H-4 bulbs for our yotas) that give you HID low beams in your stock headlights but you lose your high beams. These run under $100 on ebay.

2: ballast and bulbs (in this case H4-2 bulbs for our yotas) these bulbs and ballast give you a slightly brighter halogen low beams but give you the sun for your high beams (I am only slightly kidding). These also go in your stock lights and run about the same as the above.
I chose this one because I don’t like getting brighted (and thus being a pain to other plp) with HID lows all the time and don’t need all that extra for normal driving. But when I am out on the back roads (in Texas that is almost all of them…) I want to have some serious light. And I have to say that these give you MORE than enough for any kind of driving be it off-road or back-road.

3: Bi-xenon lights. These give you HID in both the Low and high beams. It is a HID bulb that has a servo on it and will move the bulb into the different positions. These are the best for the stock lights but run about $200.

4: the full kit with projectors, ballasts and bulbs ect… and will run at least $300. This is the best way to do it but also the hardest and most $$.

Overall I found that the best one for me was the H4-2 bulb series and I am very happy with the choice. and since you have a normal light in the low beams you don't have to worry about the "road hazzard" (although i would have to say it is not that bad a problem if you aim them right) Later I might upgrade to the bi-xenon and sell these to a friend but for now I am more than happy. I got my kit from Hong Kong for $100 and free shipping off ebay.

Oh, one last thing. You will see a lot of different K (or Kelvin (sp?)) Values on the bulbs when you order. First off higher is NOT brighter, higher is actually dimmer but more blue/purple. It is just for looks, the best is right at 4000K – 5000K. I got the 4100K and they are a Nice BRIGHT white that are perfect for backroads.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 07-02-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Just my .02 -

as noted above, you may lose you high beams, depending on which kit you go with. depending on where you live, this may not be legal (here, we have yearly safety inspections, vehicles w/ HID conversions that no longer have functional high beams do not pass).

also... you will probably have to aim them very low to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. my neighbor's son has HIDs in his 97 Taco, and he pretty much had to aim them almost right in front the bumper to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. They are still much brighter than stocks, but you can't see much farther (if at all) than the stockers.

and last caveat - again, depending on where you live, pay attention to the Kelvin rating of your bulbs. Local police are very critical of aftermarket (and even factory) HIDs that appear too "blue", and will quickly issue citations for blue lights (had problems with people impersonating police officers with blue lights, and kidnapping/assaulting female drivers after pulling them over).
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM

i am looking to go with the bi-xenons. but not the ones with the moving parts as those are just asking for more problems.. and aftermarket ballasts and bulbs already have enough of their own...

i will go with the 6000k kit.. not too blue, but still jsut a tinge, which is the way i would like it to look.

where i live in southern california, every single headlight is HID (practically), so with halogen, i stick out more than if i went with HID...

the bi-xenons that i am looking at have the HID bulb and a halogen mounted on the same base, the HID for low beams, and the halogen for the highs...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM

ok if you go with bi xenon, make sure the bi xenon is the tilt function rather then the slider function. The bi xenon with the bulb that tilts up and down, i found are much better then the bi xenon bulbs that have the slider on the bottom and shine light upward. And you have to be careful with your color choice. i went with 8k's and i find them a lil too blue at times, not blue enough to get in trouble with police. But even with 6k sometimes you are running too white and the light doesnt pick up as much as it should be. but either 4.1k or 6k is the way to go. And aiming might be a lil hard in stock housing, if your lifted. Before i had them in i had to aim them all the way down to get out of peoples rear view mirrors, but now even with them all the way down, my lift just puts me back into peoples rear view mirrors.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ooja3k
i am looking to go with the bi-xenons. but not the ones with the moving parts as those are just asking for more problems.. and aftermarket ballasts and bulbs already have enough of their own...

i will go with the 6000k kit.. not too blue, but still jsut a tinge, which is the way i would like it to look.

where i live in southern california, every single headlight is HID (practically), so with halogen, i stick out more than if i went with HID...

the bi-xenons that i am looking at have the HID bulb and a halogen mounted on the same base, the HID for low beams, and the halogen for the highs...
I hate too tell you but those are not bi-xenons. That is the H4-2 bulb that i got. It is a normal HID with a halogon as the low beam. Bi-xenon's HAVE to move in some way and as said above the tilt ones are much better. Now i love my H4-2 as for normal driving all i need is the halogen but the back-road i need a LOT of light (and can use my highs without problems).
Old 07-03-2007, 06:10 AM

I completely missed this thread, but basically i'm with the general consensus... It's worth it to just save your money and do it right (projectors and all), also patience and being frugal.. I did my entire conversion for about 300 dollars if I'mnot mistaken, and I did all the work in about 2 weekends.

but

I realize that you want to just do a drop-in kit... if nothing else head over hidplanet.com to their forum and read about why not to do it... I dont know from any personal experience though.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 AM

It is a normal HID with a halogon as the low beam. Bi-xenon's HAVE to move in some way and as said above the tilt ones are much better.
I believe you are wrong.. Ive been to multiple sites that sell them and they all say HID for low beams, halogen for high beams.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 AM

most bi-xenon i've seen are in fact like that. hid for low and halogen for high, i think even some oem bmw "bi-xenon" lights are like that.

i have an 85 and i'd prolly do that one myself but i don't think i'll be doing hid in my runner at all. why? replacement bulbs will cast you almost as much as the whole kit and they do go out, especially the cheap kits. its hard to buy just one and you'd prolly not want to anyways b/c it will look different then your old one even if same brand/color temp. if you go off road or take long road trips and don't have a spare in your tool box allready it could suck to have to drive around on one light. its not like you can buy replacement bulbs at your local napa yet.

back to the diff kits.... i would not be afraid to just get one that has only low beam hid and no highs at all b/c my 525i has hid and i never use the high beams.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 AM

ya... i agree.

its $100 cheaper to go with only HID lows....

but check this site out... they have a single bulb assembly with two hid bulbs per base, 4 ballasts, and everything else you need for 250. Thats a pretty good deal.. But all those parts make more things that can break.

Im thinking HID low only, because in a standard halogen housing, it will look like HIGH beams anyway!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 AM

i would still get some kind of a projector headlight though.... trust me. otherwise it will just look stoopid and be worse then the hallogen as far as actually seeing with it.

ever see a civic or early gti with oem housings and hid? ya, big and bright when you're looking at head on (i'm sure cops love it too) but when you look in front of the car the lights its actually putting on the ground is way worse then the car's with halogens next to it.

Quick Reply: HID conversion on my 97 4runner