Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JHRRLD
awesome, I got in my tsx lenses this week and I'll be doing the same this weekend. What did you use for the spacers? Care to elaborate how you have your ballasts wired in?
To be honest...I don't remember how the ballast are wired. I installed my PnP kit about 5 years ago and I'm just reusing the harness. I did get the harness from www.suvlights.com. It's a total PnP harness that keeps the low beams on when activating the high beams which you need for the high beam solenoid on the projectors.

I went to Ace Hardware and picked up several different thickness' of o-rings to experiment with. They don't carry the exact diameter, so I just bought something bigger and cut it. It's all trial and error.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
That's insane...

DOod..ridiculously insane!! that light output is awesome
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM

pdye - so, you just used 3 mounting points? my muranos are the same - not really mounting friendly. how are you sealing/protecting the area where the bulbs go in, so that moisture/crap doesnt get into the projector? did you just put silicone all over everything, and on all cracks, including covering the coil for the bi-x solenoid?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM

pfdaxe - how far away are the projectors from the garage door in those shots?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
pdye - so, you just used 3 mounting points? my muranos are the same - not really mounting friendly. how are you sealing/protecting the area where the bulbs go in, so that moisture/crap doesnt get into the projector? did you just put silicone all over everything, and on all cracks, including covering the coil for the bi-x solenoid?
That's right, I just used three mounting points... I could have used four, but it would have been a royal pain and I didn't want to mess w/ the actual projector at all. I just trimmed down the brackets.

After I sealed up the back w/ JB Weld, I used silicone to fill in any gaps left over. To protect the solenoid coil I used plasti-dip, which was something that the guys at HIDPlanet said works well because it transfers heat. Then you should be able to use your old rubber boot to further protect the bulb opening.

Tip for everyone doing retros: When you finish everything and are mounting the headlight housing back onto the bracket, make SURE that the threaded rod holding your projectors down doesn't touch the bracket... I may have ruined a set of headlights because I didn't notice that they were touching and when I tightened down the aiming screws it basically pulled the housing apart
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 AM

pfdaxe - how far away are the projectors from the garage door in those shots?
They were only about 20' away on a sloped driveway. Plus, they weren't mounted. They were sitting on top of my OEM headlights. I'll be aiming them at work since we have an underground garage which will be great to get a good level 25' distance.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Tip for everyone doing retros: When you finish everything and are mounting the headlight housing back onto the bracket, make SURE that the threaded rod holding your projectors down doesn't touch the bracket... I may have ruined a set of headlights because I didn't notice that they were touching and when I tightened down the aiming screws it basically pulled the housing apart
Good tip to look for. I forgot about that. I'll have to keep an eye out. I pulled my headlights last night and drilled my 2 1/2" holes for the projectors. One headlight took about 7 mins in the oven to seperate the lens and the other one was a bit more stubborn and took about 9 minutes. I'm doing a bit at a time since I work so much. I should have them complete within the week...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM

My buddy is selling his '98 4Runner and I detailed it for him... Then I decided to do some comparison shots because I never took any "before" pictures to compare to the projectors. So here you go! All the shots are on manual using the same settings.

Low beam Halogen:

Low beam HID:

High beam halogen:

High beam HID:

Both side by side:

Definitely not the best of pictures, but it gives a general idea of the difference. I need to find a dark back road to show it better.

Last edited by pdyebrasil; 02-22-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is really amazing!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM

good job on the pics, thanks for taking the time to do that comparison, gonna be another project i need to save for!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:13 PM

just to show some mods on my projectors. got my clear lenses for my muranos today. very nice upgrade
heres some pics
the lens and spacer that comes with it

stock low beam

stock high beam

clear lens lows

clear lens highs

stacked comparison

i know, not the best of pictures, but they do show a big difference. intensity, sharpness and color def made leaps and bounds. all pictures taken on same camera settings - 1/50 shutter speed, 2.8 aperture, iso50 in my living room. projectors are only about 10 ft from ceiling. ill try get some pics from further away later on now to find a truck to put em in to..
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the pics man! I will eventually have to get those clear lenses for my porsches... Intensity and sharpness is much improved, along with that beautiful blue at the cutoff. I'm jealous
Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM

ok, so heres the outside shots from about 35 feet onto a garage door. very nice color and cutoff. the slope style cutoff is growing on me too i guess. anyone wanna buy my bixenon kit?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Those are nice, any pics on a road too?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 PM

well i was by myself and i tried, but couldnt get em to sit on the hood of my impreza nice and level, and aimed as they would be in a car at the same time, so i couldnt get a pic of output on the road. probably similar to pdye's shots though, except with a thick color band at the cutoff if next to a building/snow mounds
Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

well i was by myself and i tried, but couldnt get em to sit on the hood of my impreza nice and level, and aimed as they would be in a car at the same time, so i couldnt get a pic of output on the road. probably similar to pdye's shots though, except with a thick color band at the cutoff if next to a building/snow mounds
Ah, i thought you had them installed in that picture.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM

naw, thats just one projector sitting on my radiator just to show the output
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM

This looks great pdyebrasil. Looks clean. Impresive. I noticed that you have the fog lamps in the front bumper. My brother bought me a set of these off ebay and for the life of me I can't figure out how to mount them. Would it be possible for you to send me pics. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

naw, thats just one projector sitting on my radiator just to show the output
Really? So that picture is just one light? and it has that weird curve in the middle?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Really? So that picture is just one light? and it has that weird curve in the middle?
That's from the cut-off shield that is inside projectors...so you don't blind on-coming traffic

Last edited by pfdaxe; 02-24-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)